Which car is faster

08ACRVTEN00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy has a Superperformance Shelby Cobra Replica 427 side oiler (claims around 500 hp - 2400 lbs). I have a 08 ACR (installing Belenger headers and the controller - should be around 675 at the crank) who do you think will win in the quarter mile? I really think the best driver would win, what do you think?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ACR will win.

The Cobras, while fast, have traction issues.

But it will be driver dependent.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he is a good driver, he will do a 11.3 or so. Like it was said above, traction is a problem unless he is running slicks. It will be a drivers race regardless. Your car should break into the 10's with the mods you have.

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming fom someone that has a CSX car, with a 510, 600+ hp/600+tq and actually does weigh 2400 lbs.....I can tell you this, I'm running the Goodyear Billboards' and I have no problem hookin once my tires have about 5-8 miles of normal driving.....

The Superformance fiberglass cars weigh @ 200 lbs more.....this was done on the same scale, after fill up....

I'd personally say, I don't think 500 at the motor will do it......but, if he's got 500 rear wheel and knows how to drive it.....it could be very interesting..

Just my opinion.....

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy has that exact car and we have done a couple roll ons in 1 st gear. I took him both times and both times it was simply a traction issue. He couldnt hook up and I pulled away. Mine is a 98 GTS with the standard mods. Exhaust etc. Right around 425 hp at the tires. The Cobra is a nice car and when opened up is deafeningly loud. I love it. haha

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
either way, be sure and have someone film it and post it here :2tu:

(after you get back from mexico, that is):lmao:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, This being my first post on THIS forum I hate to play devil adv. but.......Having had 2 superformance cobra's there is a couple of facts you r missing.HUGE weight diff.HP to lbs. is a big deal. Both cars r known for traction issues.A cobra w/ say 525hp vs viper 600hp(crank)the math says it all...Equal traction and equal driver the viper will get spanked !!!the cobra is 20% lighter so in theory the viper will need at least 20% more power. Also most of these cobras r set up w/3:73rear ends.I have raced older vipers 04 and older w/ some mods and I won(buy alot) every time.Dont get me wrong ,the viper is a awesome car(its a snake)and sooner or later I can see one in my garage.I cant wait to meet up w/a acr to see what the out come will be. It will def. need some mods to win.
Dont be a hater....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember 2 Motortrend articles from back when the GTS first came out that pitted the GTS and RT/10 against the Shelby Daytona Coupe and Shelby Cobra respectively. I believe both tests resulted in a Shelby win albiet the Daytona Coupe vs GTS wasnt a head to head. I remember the pre test numbers on the GTS were woefully low at 12.8 @ 109 mph lol. I vaguely remember the Shelby doing 12's @ 121mph if memory serves. That GTS Viper speed but no way to tell if that Shelby was driven to its max potential.

This is a matchup Id love to see happen now. 60's hp rating and tech vs modern hp rating and tech. Id have to give the edge to the 08-09 Vipers despite the 1k lb weight difference. Sounds like Sparks is game:drive:

Edit: Ha I found the link to one of the articles. Takes me back reading it. I remember the feeling when the GTS hit. Goosebumps. I got em again reading this article again. Obviously the GTS numbers were miles better than this article originally stated. This Daytona Coupe was 2400lbs and didnt have the 427 motor and it still did 12.1 @ 121mph. Im thinking the 427 powered Cobra would have to trap in the 10's @ 130's to win by "alot", as Sparks mentioned, over a Gen IV Viper which has already trapped at 11.0 @ 130mph. I really want to see this race now :)

1997 Dodge Viper vs. 1964 Shelby Cobra | Dodge Viper Enthusiast at Automotive.com

Last edited:

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my old 550hp cobra best times were 10.90's on street tires.That car was about 2800lbs. Its all in the launch............

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my old 550hp cobra best times were 10.90's on street tires.That car was about 2800lbs. Its all in the launch............

Nice. This sounds like it would a fun race between the two snakes. What was your mph? Ive seen lightweight fwd cars hit 10's @ 114 mph in the 1/4 flat out so while the et is impressive Id really like to know your trap speed. With 550 pushing 2400lbs you should easily be in the 130's if it runs the way the numbers indicate. Any vids of your car?

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No,dont have any of the old one but I will def. get some of the new one when the weather breaks....My buddy has a new ACR w/headers,pipes,chip...should be fun. I think the post should be quicker not faster...The cobra doesnt feel safe over 140..
At least there both snakes and not a cor*****.........

Last edited:

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 GTS ( steele Gray ) with a Fitzgerald snake 530 kit, and a Midstates Cobra that I built with a 484 fuel injected FE top oiler. The last time I had them dynoed the Viper was 430 hp and the Cobra was 400 hp both were at the rear wheels ( the cobra did have a bad distributor which was found after the dyno pulls ). I don't take either one to the track just drive them on the street. The cobra is definitely quicker in a straight line. The viper has 373s and the cobra a JAG with 308s. As for the back roads the Viper is definitely King Of The Road.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug after meeting the driver of the cobra I feel confident you will win. Don't take it easy on him either. I want to make sure he isn't talking smack the next time I come in.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy has a Superperformance Shelby Cobra Replica 427 side oiler (claims around 500 hp - 2400 lbs). I have a 08 ACR (installing Belenger headers and the controller - should be around 675 at the crank) who do you think will win in the quarter mile? I really think the best driver would win, what do you think?

I remember the original car in '64/65 w/427 ran low 12s, bone stock, if kept in straight line; with slicks, high 11s at local track, low-mid 120s. HP was said to be 485 at the crank so a faithful replica should be putting out ~500. Given the power/weight advantage, a new-tech replica with better rubber is probably a good race for your ACR, all other things being equal. Were it an original, you'd blow its doors off. (Remember that the Gen IV was the first Viper to accomplish the marque's engineering objective when initially launched: surpass the original 427 Shelby's 0-100-0 and 1/4 mile times.)

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will DEF. need the upgrades my friend....If your not nice Mr. T Venom I wont give ya a ride when I see ya!!!! And if you do go for a ride you best bring a pair of depends.:rolaugh: Dont want any stains on my carinthian leather.:nono:

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys, MAY 9th a bunch of cobras are going to byron dragstrip(in il.). Lets make it a snake day ??? Time to man up and see what our cars r made of. Time to walk the walk.Viper or Cobra, which one is KING ? See ya on the 9th !!

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No takers ? Come on guys dont be scared. Loozers will pay for winners entry fee and lunch....

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Sparks I see you got on here for a little healthy trash talking. And I thought I was being nice earlier... LOL. Make sure you keep me posted on who wins the race. I wont be back there by then but it wont be much later.

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont forget guys.....MAY 9th, Byron Drag strip... Come out and play w/ the little cobras. I heard you illinois viper guys were meeting in byron on the 9th for a cruise ? If your already there you better stop in...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery