Which EBC brake pads to go with?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think i've finally reached the point where i have upgraded everything i could have except the braking system, the time has come :)

I'm going to pick up some EBC slotted/dimpled rotors for the front and back and i cant decide which brake pad would be best for me. The car is supercharged and will see a LOT of hwy driving and the occasional drag day.

What would suit my needs best? Keep in mind the car is well over 200+hp more than stock.

Greenstuff Pads?
Redstuff?
Yellowstuff?

Thanks in advance.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had greens on my Gen1 that had 650hp/860tq and had no problems stopping. Of course my brakes were upgraded to 6 pistons but still stopped pretty well, less dust too!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Have you considered Tom's 40mm rear brake upgrade. Makes a huge difference in my opinion. I personally am not a fan of the EBC brake pads - although I did use their rotors and am very happy. While they do have less brake dust than stock, they also - again in my opinion - have less stopping power.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
EBC Greens are not allowed at IL VCA track events. They are the only pad I am aware of that is not allowed. Nothing wrong with the stock pads.

From what i've read it sounds like Tom's 40mm upgrade may be your best bet.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the reds to be too dangerous on the street. if they don't heat up, they don't work. not good. I ran them for a short time. Very short. I also ran Reds in back with green's in front and that wasn't a bad balance.

Tom's 40mm upgrade is a good choice. I run brakeman 3's and have also run the Axis pads which i also liked (squeaked less than BM3's).

This is just one opinion, but skip the EBC's except for the track.

my .02...

JD

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is only one thing missing on your car, a For Sale sign. Man, your car is everything i would want in a viper.

Sorry for being of topic... lol. I have Green stuff and the squeal is pretty bad though. Never tried any other pads on a viper yet as i just got it so can't compare if the breaking is good or not.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched to EBC reds last fall. My primary motivation was less dust and no squeal. Stopping at least as good as OEM would be adequate for my use.

Jon B. recommended the EBC reds and I honestly couldn't be happier. No squeal and much, much less dust than OEM. They're not dust free, but I'd say they put out 25% of what the OEM's did. I've hammered the brakes pretty good a few times since installation and they seem to grip great.

Oh yeah, one other poser observation: They look good with the stock rear caliper as you can see the red side of the pad. :D

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the reds to be too dangerous on the street. if they don't heat up, they don't work. not good. I ran them for a short time. Very short. I also ran Reds in back with green's in front and that wasn't a bad balance.

Tom's 40mm upgrade is a good choice. I run brakeman 3's and have also run the Axis pads which i also liked (squeaked less than BM3's).

This is just one opinion, but skip the EBC's except for the track.

my .02...

JD

Absolutely what Joseph said, EBC Reds **** on the street, if they aren't hot they won't stop you, I've blown through stop signs going 30mph. Brakeman 3s are great and so are the Axxis pads, great for the street and track.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Products change. Maybe EBC has changed. But I used every color they had a few years ago and none of them were any good. I use greens on the street but I don't do much more than a little spirited driving on the street, nothing anywhere close to dangerous.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Products change. Maybe EBC has changed. But I used every color they had a few years ago and none of them were any good. I use greens on the street but I don't do much more than a little spirited driving on the street, nothing anywhere close to dangerous.

Chuck I used the Greens also and they are fine on the street, the Reds are where I had my problems on the street. Even here in Southern Cali where it doesn't get cold the reds would not stop me till they warmed up. I drove 1 day with them on the street and took them off. This was 4-5 years ago and I don't know if the compound was changed, just my experience.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the NEW red ceramic's, work really good on the street:D and depending on how you use your brakes on the track :drive: the pretty good there(the new Yellow are better for track use) as all of the EBC's have changed:omg:

Big Brake Dave :drive:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a set of reds on my GTS a couple months ago & have the observation they have more grip even cold than the stock pads. Put greens on my SRT 10 Ram and have to say they are no different than the stock pads as far as dust & grip.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the NEW red ceramic's, work really good on the street:D and depending on how you use your brakes on the track :drive: the pretty good there(the new Yellow are better for track use) as all of the EBC's have changed:omg:

Big Brake Dave :drive:

Would you say that EBC reds are the best pad for mostly street use but occasional track use?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had great luck with the REDS and just placed an ad to sell a brand new rear set cheap. Click classifieds and brakes!! I am switching calipers and cant use them.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had great luck with the REDS and just placed an ad to sell a brand new rear set cheap. Click classifieds and brakes!! I am switching calipers and cant use them.

Are these the new ceramic pads that Dave spoke of? if they are, I will take them. The squeal is driving me nuts wit the stock pads!

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance just put the "New" EBC reds on my car. The pads are squealing all the time.

Dan suggested I do some 60 - 0 hard stops to set the pads. So far that has not helped. I'm going to make an appt see if DC can get them to be quiet.

The new red pads do stop the car. In the 60 - 0 hard braking, I had stuff flying everywhere :D

So far the dust is basically the same as OEM. I'm hoping once they are set, the dust will settle down. Dust was the primary reason for changing the pads.