Which mod should I do next?

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking for advice from those of you who have traveled this road. I have a 97 GTS and as far as performance goes I have:

Cats Removed
Borla Cat-Back
3.43 Rear End
K&N Drop-in Filters

What's going to be the next logical step? The engine is 100% stock including the airbox. I'm not looking to spend thousands at a time on upgrades but I like doing little enhancements here and there. Any advice?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth tubes to go with those filters. Headers are next, under $2000. Will sounds great and add HP.
MGW is the place to look for Chrome Gas Door with Red logo, and other nice pieces. Trunk mat, chrome side badges, etc.
How tall are you? If you are pretty tall, you should get a seat lowering kit too. Makes a huge difference.
Have fun! :2tu:

OP
OP
B

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Smooth tubes to go with those filters. Headers are next, under $2000. Will sounds great and add HP.

If you are pretty tall, you should get a seat lowering kit too. Makes a huge difference.
Have fun! :2tu:

Yeah, I was thinking headers would be a good choice. Now I just need to figure out which ones.

I planned on getting the seat mod before I even bought the car (6'3"). Of course here we are 6 months later and I still haven't done it. It's tolerable but an extra bit of left knee room would be comfy.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bolax, listen clearly, stop what you are doing and pick up the phone and order a Seat lowering kit. If you are the only driver, then get the 2" kit that is fixed.
I had my 1997 Red GTS for almost 3 years w/o it, and I felt so stupid after I got it on my current GTS! I am over 6'5" and it makes a World of difference! How did I drive for that long without it? Well, it's a Viper, and I was and am addicted! Now I am addicted and comfortable when I drive it! :D
Then after that, get you some Belanger headers!! :2tu:

OP
OP
B

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paxton Supercharger. :2tu:

Ahhh...that would be wonderful. Unfortunatley I have a wife and she expects me to spend money on other things besides the car. I'm not sure what's wrong with her.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey is absolutely right! (I might suggest B&B headers, though). You should also consider getting ported heads. Ultimately, my suggestion is to decide where you want to go with your car and then plan it out a piece at a time. In the end it will save you money and you won't waste money on mods that only give you a marginal gain.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You are at a point where you need to make a decision as to what your long term goals are for the car, performance expectations and budget. I would be happy to steer you in the right direction. I know from experience that what many people think they want and what they ultimately need may be two different things.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan is exactly right. What do you plan on doing with the car? Road course, 1/4 mile, autocross, street rod - they all have different requirments for equipment. Deciding what your ultimate goal is now can save you a lot of $$$ later on.

My experience with mods is that the Viper tuners I deal with truly want to do what is best for you and the stated purpose of the car. That is one thing I enjoy about Viper ownership, the comraderie of other Viper owners/tuners.

Good luck!

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan and Newt have hit the nail on the head. Future mods should be dictated by how you want to use the car. If your going to track the car, brakes, harnesses and safety equipment should be very high on your list. If higher horsepower for the street is your bag, you have lots of options. You will save mucho denaro [sp] by having an overall game plan for your car. Not all mods complement each other and if you develop a plan based on how you will use the car you will come out way ahead in the long run. For my money, I'd get to a track and get some driving time under my belt. Our Vipers are already mighty potent cars and most of us will never experience their full potential while driving on the street. Just my 2 cents.

Doc

Reaction score
Agree with Dan Cragin. To get the most enjoyable return on investment definition of goal is a must. Dyno sheet bragging rights? Red/Green light time slips, better Open Track times, etc.

The first and best modification is to your computer. The one connected to your eyes, hands, feet and seat. Skip Barber provides a great upgrade. This upgrade provide lower Open Road lap times, safer daily operation and a wider smile when the Tach in that .... Rocket next to you hits 9,000! Roll down the window and invite him to the next Open Track event in your area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi