Which one, a 96 or 97 GTS?

THE FLASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search on this and the best I could find was that someone said that Dodge worked most of the bugs out of the 96's for the 97's. Does that mean to stay awsy form the 96's? I know sometimes its not the best thing to buy the 1st production run of a particular model.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both years require the frame recall, and both have the wheels that could crack under track duty. I'm sure there are some other minor issues, but from what I understand they are both about equal. Although, the 96's seem to cost a bit more since they are the originals and Indy 500 Pace cars.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both years require the frame recall, and both have the wheels that could crack under track duty. I'm sure there are some other minor issues, but from what I understand they are both about equal. Although, the 96's seem to cost a bit more since they are the originals and Indy 500 Pace cars.

Negative, only the 96 had cast wheels. The 97 came with the forged wheels, much safer to track with.

OP
OP
T

THE FLASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I am sorry about this post. I did not mean it to be a post like which oil is best.....if that makes sense. Thinking back, I should have worded it differently. I get that neither is better than the other, just a few accessories might be better on one vs the other. And like everything else, accessories can be changed. I do plan to get different wheels. Based upon the info I just got, it really does not matter if I get the 96 or 97...just which vehicles that is available to meet my needs. Thanks again, everyone is great on this forum!!!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outside of the Cast or Forged rims, the only other difference you will notice is the Stripes are wider on the 96 and they pass thru the rear license plate area. BTW The forged rims are brighter/ shinier than the cast.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early 1997 GTS's also had cast wheels, just like the 1996's. You have to look behind the spokes on the rim barrel to identify whether the 1997 wheel is cast or forged. 1998 was the first full year of forged.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search on this and the best I could find was that someone said that Dodge worked most of the bugs out of the 96's for the 97's. Does that mean to stay awsy form the 96's? I know sometimes its not the best thing to buy the 1st production run of a particular model.

Both had recalls and both are excellent cars. No reason to stay away from either year model.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not important, but did they go to a single piece weather striping on the bottom of the side windows in 97? I know the 96's have a two piece, and sometimes they lift up on the edges.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not important, but did they go to a single piece weather striping on the bottom of the side windows in 97? I know the 96's have a two piece, and sometimes they lift up on the edges.

Terrible weatherstripping design on all of them, both mine (97 and 98) broke at the exact same spot upper left drivers window.
Fortunatly the replacement weatherstripping is only a few thousand dollars....:omg:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joebrett