Which paint did you use for the garage floor ?

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moving to a new house soon and will be painting the floor in the garage. Probably epoxy. What have you guys used ? Did you like it ? Pic's ? Where did you buy it ? Thank you...

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the paint or epoxy and get Racedeck. No prepping the floor, no cracking, peeling, etc. and you can even take it with you if you move again. Not to mention the fact that the owner of the company is a Viper owner and car racer and will give you a 10% VCA discount.

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It did cross my mind. How much do you think it would cost to do a 32x22 floor ? Clean up is alot easier on expoxy though.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For over two years I have had Sherwin Williams "Tile Clad" epoxy on my floor. They have a ton of different products, and I am not sure if they still call anything "Tile Clad," but it has been awesome and I recall it is available in dozens of stock colors and can be custom mixed. It is applied like regular paint. You can walk on it in a couple hours, then you have to wait a week to park on it.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife owns a company that does garage organization systems and flooring. We carry a product called Daytona made by Sport COurt. Samw quality as Racedeck but a lot cheaper. Send me a pm if interested

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It did cross my mind. How much do you think it would cost to do a 32x22 floor ? Clean up is alot easier on expoxy though.

1200-1500..for race deck..I love it..easily washable..

4718103_0336-med.JPG

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
32x22 floor = 706 square feet. Using the Daytona flooring from my wife will be under $1900. The Daytona is the exact same pattern, colors, and material as that other flooring.
If anyone is interested, VCA members get a huge discount. Drop me an email to [email protected].
Have a Happy and Healthy New Year.
www.zengrageinc.com

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't plan on servicing a car in your garage, then racedeck might be for you. I'm an epoxy fan, simply because I work in my garages. I'd be leary of damaging a bunch of the plastic tiles in day to day work.

NY VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the epoxy garage floor system at Home Depot. It was around $100 for the garage. (The pro epoxy guys wanted $3,000-$4,000). I got it home and read the directions. Brought it right back to the store and plan to order the Race Deck. If the garage floor is not in perfect shape there is a ton of prep work that has to be done including scaping off all of the old paint. The Race Deck goes down easy no matter what the condition of the old floor is like. I called the people at Race Deck and they sent me free samples of the tiles and do offer a Viper Club discount. It costs more then a DIY job initially ($1,500-$1,800 for a 20 x 20 garage) but probably worth it. Check out their site web page

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Sherwin Williams epoxy was only $1/square foot so my 600 square foot garage was $600 installed (by the regular painter that painted the interior of the house for me not a special installer). BUT, it did have to go through a lot of prep since my floor had crappy latex floor paint on it. Watch out, there are a ton of rip-offs in the garage remodeling business now. If you are new construction or your floor is super clean already you should be able to have epoxy done for well under $2/foot and could do it yourself for a quarter of that. I am actually thinking of redoing mine on my own.

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually like the painted floors better. I am moving into a new house with new floors, so it should be an easy job to paint.

I'll probably paint the floor with epoxy and put down (3)garage mats. Found Black garage mats with checkers on the side. We bought one for our dealer showroom. They are real nice and very easy to clean.

I think Jerry Dobson had a nice painted floor. Maybe he'll chime in with some pic's.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage is a working garage - engine rebuilds, suspension work, brake work etc. I am driving cars in and out all the time and putting cars on jack stands and rolling jacks around on the floor every day I work on the cars. I occasionaly spill coolant, oil, and brake fluid.

How many RaceDeck garages also working garages? I wonder how beat up looking the tiles will become after jack stands have gouged themselves into the flooing dozens of times. And, how do you wipe up spilled fluids that have run down into the cracks betweem tiles? I can't impage using a creeper to roll around over the 'diamond plate' or even rolling around on that myself while I pull a Transmission.

Also, for you painted floor guys (which I would like to do), do you have a problem with hot tires lifting the paint?

Jim

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hot tires won't lift the paint if the floor was prepped correctly. Also you need Epoxy paint.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My garage is a working garage - engine rebuilds, suspension work, brake work etc. I am driving cars in and out all the time and putting cars on jack stands and rolling jacks around on the floor every day I work on the cars. I occasionaly spill coolant, oil, and brake fluid.

How many RaceDeck garages also working garages? I wonder how beat up looking the tiles will become after jack stands have gouged themselves into the flooing dozens of times. And, how do you wipe up spilled fluids that have run down into the cracks betweem tiles? I can't impage using a creeper to roll around over the 'diamond plate' or even rolling around on that myself while I pull a Transmission.

Also, for you painted floor guys (which I would like to do), do you have a problem with hot tires lifting the paint?

Jim

Jim,
I am with you brother...
I am in the process of designing my new garage..It will be a 2-car with some extra width and length, as well as a 12 ft ceiling height to allow for a Revolution lift ...
I use my garage as a place to store AND work on my rides (94 RT/10, 73 Road Runner, 63 VW, 69 Ford Cortina, 86 Nissan Maxima)so I will also be sliding floor jacks, jack stands ect...
To this point I have not seen ANYTHING as far as floor coating goes, that looks like it will hold up.
I do not want to be worried about putting pads under the tires when they are warm and so on...

My question here is....
IS THERE ANY FLOOR COATING THAT WILL HOLD UP AS WELL AS PLAIN CONCRETE.

Cheers,

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question here is....
IS THERE ANY FLOOR COATING THAT WILL HOLD UP AS WELL AS PLAIN CONCRETE.
Good epoxy scuff it you get grit on it and you can scratch it with metal, but hot tires don't even touch it and the worst chemicals do is reduce the shine in the spill area. But watch out, there are epoxies that are not rated for parking on. For example, I wanted to go with a clear but Sherwin Williams did not have clear you could park on.

GG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my Racedeck from Overstock.com. $2.46/ft. including shipping and no tax. Installs easy, looks great, very durable. Only drawback...they only carry 3 colors , silver, black and beige. Costco.com also carries a couple of colors for slightly more $.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't use paint. I used real concrete stain. I did it myself, so it only cost $500 or so for a 22X34 garage. But I spent a whole weekend cutting grooves into the floor with a carbon disk in my skilsaw!
Unfortunately, the concrete is still susceptible to staining. It is just colored concrete now.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my garage with the Rust-o-leum two-part epoxy garage floor paint from Home Depot. I did all the prep work to the nth degree. Took several days working into the wee hours of the morning. I used 6 or 7 gallons of stripper, the included acid mix, and scrapped, brushed and sanded like crazy. I then rinsed and squeageed for the better part of a day. The floor looked immaculate. The paint went on really nice (waited a week for it to dry) and has held up very well. HOWEVER, just the other day I noticed a few spots where the paint is coming up where the tires rest. I really can't imagine the heat from the tires causing it to lift as I felt the tires on a hot day after a long drive and they couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 degrees higher than the ambient air. I haven't tracked the car since doing this so I've never had track-level temps on this floor. Perhaps it's the pressure the tires exert rather than the temperature?

Anyway, I've put some plastic padding down for now but I don't think that will help since it's not strong enough to distribute the load anyway. It would dissipate heat if that were the problem though. I'd say try using the Sherwin Williams epoxy as my vote is against Rust-o-leum now.

--Rob

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did ceramic tile (used two different colors for a checkered appearance). Was fairly inexpensive, looks great, and have no problems.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 25x35 and a 40x35 garage area, new construction. Epoxy was the only thing I had in mind, and has been since day one. I've had epoxy+shark bite (traction agent) before, and it turned out real well.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go for race deck floors.i just did my garage 800 sqft i went with alloy and graphite grey combo,looks great,easy to clean.race deck is running a special right now.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race Deck now has 18" tile as an option...fewer seams for a slightly higher cost. The price for 380sq ft, 18" $1326, 12" 1289.96 includes shipping.

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am two weeks away from finishing a new home. I have contracted with a local company to use a two stage epoxy flooring in oxford grey with blue and white paint flecks. It is guaranteed for two years not to move. I have talked with the owner quite a bit and am very satisfied with their prep which includes bead blasting and hand sanding. I should not have much of an issue with prep since it is new concrete without any storage having been there yet.

From what I have read the problems with muriatic acid is the difficulty knowing if you have it all rinsed away or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960