Which Viper is right for me?

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: I am one step closer to Viper ownership! I just sold my Lightning and bought my daily driver/winter ******...a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. Not the nicest thing around, but now I have no car payment...more money into the Viper down payment fund! Thanks again everyone for all your help and great advice so far.

Matt

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take on it.

For daily driver/weekend warior there is no better ride than a >00 GTS. Examples should be less than 50K for a well kept version. 99 is the best IMHO, new wheels, updated looks, forged internals and lumpy cam. What's not to love? If you like B&W, go with a 96-97 car (Do the oil pan upgrade on the 96 if you buy one). In 2000, they switched to cast internals and there were some problems in build quality that year (strike IIRC). You forgo the open air experience for enclosed comfort. If you want the open air experience but with some creature comforts, you can pick up a >99 RT/10 for less than a coupe.

As far as Gen1, buy a 96 if you want the true "basic" open roadster experience. Why? Rear exit exhaust, Gen2 suspension but with the "no frills" approach to the interior (no airbag, windows). Keeps you from going def in your left ear, and you still a HP increase as well as a better ride. 96's also seem to sell lower than the 95 and under siblings.

Whereabouts in SC are you located? Many owners in the upstate area.
Edit: Looks like you're in beauford?

I'd be happy to talk to you about the platform. I've owned a 96 RT/10 (daily driven), and am now on my first GTS. Night and day difference, but they both have their strengths. My wife wants a RT/10 for her self sometime in the summer, should be interesting ;)

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Charleston. I want the open air experience! Best of both worlds if I get the hardtop, I figure. I have pretty much settled on a >98 RT/10, but you make some pretty good points about >99 MY. I still have some time to pick and choose, and now I have the Viper Buyers Guide on its way to my house too!

Matt

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents...
Ive had my snake (Gen 1) for 5 years, and for myself I wouldnt use it as a daily driver.
Not that it hasnt been bullet proof, (hardly any issues after 30k miles) but for some of the reasons stated on this thread allready.
One is the general abuse most cars get while doing all the "daily" stuff we all do...speed bumps *** holes, door dings, gravel chips, bad weather and so on...
Why "beat up" a car as nice and rare as a Viper.
I also agree with others on the rush I get after being stuck in my daily driver and getting in the snake for the weekend.
My "driver" is a 86 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed (if you know Nissans, thats redundent) with 275k miles and I LOVE parking it up front at the mall as well as being un afraid on the Freeway during stop and go when you need to wedge your way on the on ramp...I just signal and start merging...they see my POS and get out of the way :)
When I have been in the snake in stop and go, I am always worried about getting rear ended and so on...
Best of luck with your purchase...
I know I am biased, but to me the Gen 1's with no frills and the side pipes are the way to go....Dont get me wrong, I would love to have a GTS as well but not as my only Viper...nothing beats top down motoring on a nice So. Cal day.
Cheers,