Whining noise coming from the rear end?

Neal D

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 vert that makes a whining noise when driving about 50-60 mph in 4th gear. The noise appears to be coming from the rear of the car and stops when speed is reduced. Has anyone experienced this before? I don't notice it at lower speeds or higher speeds. Just curious...

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I thought I heard something like that in my 04 before, but have since upgraded it to a gen 4 diff. A fluid change probably can't hurt though, would be the first thing I'd try.

OP
OP
Neal D

Neal D

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stevejenny, eventhough I can't read French. Also, Thanks MM, I will be changing the fluids to see if that makes a difference.

Erical

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 02 had a whine on coast but ok steady and when accelerating. A change to non-synthetic lubricant HELPED. Didn't eliminate but did help.

dodger4x4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check your hub bearings in the rear as well. My 04 had a similar issue that progressively gotten louder. I had changed the fluid when I got the car and it didn't fix it. The noise had sounded like it was directly behind my head with the convertible top down. I was able to notice a little grease and grime on the hub. Ordered a new one, and the whine went away. And that was with only 20k miles on the car. Hope this helps, and good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62