Whining noise coming from the rear end?

Neal D

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 vert that makes a whining noise when driving about 50-60 mph in 4th gear. The noise appears to be coming from the rear of the car and stops when speed is reduced. Has anyone experienced this before? I don't notice it at lower speeds or higher speeds. Just curious...

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I thought I heard something like that in my 04 before, but have since upgraded it to a gen 4 diff. A fluid change probably can't hurt though, would be the first thing I'd try.

OP
OP
Neal D

Neal D

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stevejenny, eventhough I can't read French. Also, Thanks MM, I will be changing the fluids to see if that makes a difference.

Erical

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 02 had a whine on coast but ok steady and when accelerating. A change to non-synthetic lubricant HELPED. Didn't eliminate but did help.

dodger4x4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check your hub bearings in the rear as well. My 04 had a similar issue that progressively gotten louder. I had changed the fluid when I got the car and it didn't fix it. The noise had sounded like it was directly behind my head with the convertible top down. I was able to notice a little grease and grime on the hub. Ordered a new one, and the whine went away. And that was with only 20k miles on the car. Hope this helps, and good luck