Whistling K&N filters

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 03 srt has a terrible whistling noise that showed up after installing the new K&N filters. I had K&N on 2000 GTS and now have them on a 02 Avalanche.
There is no comparison on the noise level. It sounds like there is a restriction somewhere and a lot of air is trying to go thru a small hole.
It is most noticable with the top down and at about 1500-2000 rpms.
I checked all the connections and everything seems to be tight.
anyone else have the problem or know the solution.
larry

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been reported that some K&N intakes had some flashing inside one of the vacuum ports. Remove your vacuum hoses and check to see that the ports are not blocked. If so, simply remove the flashing with a sharp knife. Noise will go away. You may still hear some faint whistle, that sounds a little like a supercharger whine. That is normal, as the Helmholtz resonator is removed with the K&N system.

OP
OP
L

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After further searching, I found a post related to the whistling problem.
I took the hoses off and using a drill bit, I enlarged the smaller of the two tubes. I went 4 bit sizes larger and it solved the problem.
As a result however, my malfunction indicator light is now on. I don't know if this is a coincidence but it has not gone off.
Larry

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you had the same issue as I had Larry. I emailed you but you probably corrected it before I checked in this afternoon.

I did not experience a MIL with mine. Though I only drove about 5 miles before I knew something was amiss.

SNAKEPILOT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Larry, if you did not disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, when you remove the temperature sensor it will cause a "code to be thrown", no harm done, but you will need to go to your dealer to get it reset.