Who else has been following our guys in the TUDOR Series this year?

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been watching Team Viper this year and they have put on a great show flying our flag.
http://www.drivesrt.com/racing/

Like all teams in the series, they have had their ups and downs.
However, while starting a little slow, our guys have steadily improved in the GTLM class.

Ben Keating's Viper Exchange car is running in the slightly slower GTD.
Like his big brothers, he started on the wrong foot (his car burnt to the ground in the middle of an early race).
Nonetheless, his bunch has fought back and been crazy fun to watch.
http://www.viperexchange.com/viper-exchange-press-releases-tx

There are only 2 races left in the season.
Next race is Sept. 19-20 at the fantastic Circuit of the Americas in Austin.

For those who missed it, here is the last race at VIR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXpdKXnmxAk

Here are the current standings in the Tudor Series:

1 Porsche 35 35 30 28 0 0 30 28 30 28 32 0 0 276
2 Chevrolet 28 26 35 35 0 0 35 35 28 26 26 0 0 274
3 SRT 30 32 28 26 0 0 32 32 35 30 28 0 0 273
4 BMW 32 30 32 32 0 0 28 30 26 32 30 0 0 272
5 Ferrari 26 28 26 30 0 0 26 26 32 35 35 0 0 264

GT Le Mans

Rank Manufacturer Daytona Sebring Long Beach Mazda Raceway Belle Isle Kansas Watkins Glen CTMP Indy Road America VIR COTA Road Atlanta Total
1 Ferrari 35 32 0 28 35 0 32 26 35 28 32 0 0 283
2 BMW 28 28
0 35 28 0 35 30 26 35 35 0 0 280
3 Porsche 30 35 0 30 32 0 30 32 28 32 30 0 0 279
4 Audi 32 30 0 32 30 0 28 28 32 26 28 0 0 266
5 SRT 26 0 0 26 26 0 26 35 30 30 26 0 0 225

GT Daytona
Rank Manufacturer Daytona Sebring Long Beach Mazda Raceway Belle Isle Kansas Watkins Glen CTMP Indy Road America VIR COTA Road Atlanta Total

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of guys are going down to Austin to see this race, and staying for the VOI where they can run the same track as our SRT Heros.

The Circuit of the Americas events are back to back. Gotta be a great opportunity for people to watch the factory guys on the track, and just a few days later to be out on the same track to see if they can match the speeds : >)

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of guys are going down to Austin to see this race, and staying for the VOI where they can run the same track as our SRT Heros.

The Circuit of the Americas events are back to back. Gotta be a great opportunity for people to watch the factory guys on the track, and just a few days later to be out on the same track to see if they can match the speeds : >)
Great to hear.:2tu:

Here is the link to the COTA weekend event:
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/wectudor

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me! Last year my Son and I went to the last ALMS race at Road Atlanta. This year we are going again and I hope to see the Viper on top of the heap on the final race of the season.

I can't wait to start watching Tommy Kendall's return to Trans AM racing with the Challenger.

Ben Keating has done pretty good in GTD class for his first year. It was awesome to see Ben win The Ultimate Track car challenge at VIR with his uncorked GT3-R.

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck with that!;)
If your guys can match 'em, then hats off to them.

The GTS-R (GTLM class) car is restricted to 500hp, with shifts happening at 4800rpm.
The GT3-R (GTD class) is also restricted at 450hp.
However, the downforce of the race cars is much greater than the street car.

Me! Last year my Son and I went to the last ALMS race at Road Atlanta. This year we are going again and I hope to see the Viper on top of the heap on the final race of the season.
They have an excellent chance of winning the championship.
At this point, any of the top 5 teams have a legit chance...and that makes for great racing.:)

I can't wait to start watching Tommy Kendall's return to Trans AM racing with the Challenger.
Whoa, I wasn't aware of that.
I have wondered what he has been up to.....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been following it on TV over here in the UK, looking forward to the next race, lets hope they can repeat the Brickyard win and that the cars keep all four wheels firmly planted on the black stuff :drive: :1up:

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/decision-pending-on-srt-factory-program/ Not good news here but we follow them every week and will of course be at the COTA race soon.
In the link, SRT Motorsports marketing director Beth Paretta makes it plain: ROI.

Like other manufacturer's racing teams, Team Viper exists to sell street cars.
SRT pulling out of Le Mans this year (which was supposed to be THE year) was an ominous sign on the general health of the Viper going forward.

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been following IMSA / SRT Motorsports closely for the past few seasons and have been impressed with their performance and consistency all season.

This past week following the IMSA race at VIR, I attended a track day event the day after the race. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to learn SRT Motorsports was going to be running with us on track and use the day as a test session. I was excited as a 10 year old boy on Christmas morning when I pulled into the paddock and saw the SRT Motorsports hauler and the #92 Viper in the garage :headbang:.......needless to say, I parked my trailer and ACR next to them :D

Everyone on the team was very friendly and professional. I had the chance to talk to Marc Goossens before he suited up and got in the car to begin the test session. He said the team was a bit disappointed in the VIR race results, but felt confident they could close the points gap on the Corvettes in the remaining races. I also spoke with Greg Jones (Ben Keating's crew chief). Greg spoke to me for several minutes and even took a close up look at my ACR. He also gave me an SRT Motorsports T-shirt :2tu:

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the friendliness and how "down to earth" the team members were. They took the time out of their busy test program to talk to my wife and I.

Unfortunately, their test day was cut short when Marc had a serious accident on his 2nd warm-up lap in the 1st session. The car sustained heavy rear end damage and had to be towed back into the pits :omg:

I had the chance to speak to Marc again after my morning session. He said he applied the brakes to enter a medium speed corner, but the car refused to slow down!! At that point, he said turned in for the corner with the brakes fully on, but the brakes failed. At the speed he was traveling (warm up speed for him...10/10th speed for me); the rear end broke loose and the car went rear end into the tires. Marc said he was fine, aside from being a bit sore. He also said they would look at the data to learn what caused the brake failure. Unfortunately, their test day was cut short.

Here's a few pics of the #92 prior to the accident:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past week following the IMSA race at VIR, I attended a track day event the day after the race. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to learn SRT Motorsports was going to be running with us on track and use the day as a test session. I was excited as a 10 year old boy on Christmas morning when I pulled into the paddock and saw the SRT Motorsports hauler and the #92 Viper in the garage :headbang:.......needless to say, I parked my trailer and ACR next to them :D
WOW, THAT is totally awesome.:dance:

I had the chance to talk to Marc Goossens before he suited up and got in the car to begin the test session. He said the team was a bit disappointed in the VIR race results
They were closing, but ran out of time (although I'm not sure they had the speed to get past the Ferrari).

but felt confident they could close the points gap on the Corvettes in the remaining races.
Absolutely right....the gap is almost non-existent and Team Viper has been getting stronger by the race.

I also spoke with Greg Jones (Ben Keating's crew chief). Greg spoke to me for several minutes and even took a close up look at my ACR. He also gave me an SRT Motorsports T-shirt :2tu:

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the friendliness and how "down to earth" the team members were. They took the time out of their busy test program to talk to my wife and I.
Which is why we owners and fans need to get out and support these folks.

He said he applied the brakes to enter a medium speed corner, but the car refused to slow down!! At that point, he said turned in for the corner with the brakes fully on, but the brakes failed. At the speed he was traveling (warm up speed for him...10/10th speed for me); the rear end broke loose and the car went rear end into the tires.
Yowza!:eyecrazy:

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be at Road Atlanta flying a viper flag and hopefully watch them clench the win for the season.
GREAT to hear!:cool:

In GTLM, we are only 3 points behind class leading Porsche and 1 point behind Corvette.
SRT is on a roll right now and have a great chance to take the championship this year.

In GTD, Ben Keating's Gang is a little too far back to take the championship from Ferrari.
They have had some bad luck this year with the total loss of a car in a fire and some shunts.
The good news is they have pace and could pick up another victory this season.
Taking a win in their home race at COTA, would be perfect.:drive:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been following them too. They really have a chance In GTLM. The year has really turned out great for them win or lose.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, I follow it and I bet so does everyone who tracks their Viper. The press they get is invaluable, and on top of that SRT has done a lot of advertising...'halo' car racing doesn't necessarily translate into sales on Monday like Nascar would for the Challenger. Its more about building goodwill and presence for the BRAND. If they drop out, it would be a good idea to put the money into another series but I don't think TransAm has the following of TUDOR. I think it was a mistake to drop out of Nascar fwiw...but then again, sales are good except for the Viper and 300 right? Dropping the Viper would be a mistake, but building it only every 5-7 years would be ok, like the CGT or the 918 (its replacement). But it has to be a 'modern' variant of the car. Just my 2c.

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet so does everyone who tracks their Viper.
Not so sure....being a "track guy" doesn't necessarily correlate to being a fan of SRT's Team Viper.

I don't think TransAm has the following of TUDOR.
I think the series is under new ownership now.

Trans Am was once a big deal, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.

building it only every 5-7 years would be ok, like the CGT or the 918 (its replacement). But it has to be a 'modern' variant of the car.
Who knows?
Maybe that will be the car's future....:dunno: