Who read the Car/Driver acticle on pushrod engines?

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE 065, I like how you are hanging in there with the DOHC. What's so "advanced" and "high tech"? Take it to the most simplistic form and look at the two pictures in the Car&Driver article posted above. What's so high tech about putting the DOHC cams above the valves?

Wow! Almost as radical as the rotary engine!

BTW, I'll be buzzing around Clarkston Saturday and I'd like to see what that 2001 ***** ape Mercury can do against this old pathetic pushrod engine.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most manufacturer's recommend Timing Belt Intervals of 90,000 miles now. I can do the one on my Supra in about 90 minutes.

Back in the 60s, pushrod chevy V8s turned up more than 6k rpm. I believe a 61 Vette 283/315 stock engine had a factory redline at over 7k rpm.

A big downside to OHC today is drive belt replacement. It needs to be done at very short intervals for normal cars that will probably last through five changes.

Replacing the drive belts on OHC engines is a serious expense on some cars.

Didn't I read that it's an engine out job in a Ferrari?
$$$don't ask$$$

There are other ways to do valves in a four stroke. Sleeve valves.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points have been made about both engine types. I like engines of all forms, so I'm not biased, but here's a few of my humble opinions...

I think the hp/liter number has some value, in terms of comparing different engines. I think of it as a "specific output", where a value can be generated for any reciprocating engine. It "levels" the playing field, so that direct comparisons can be made; in this case, it's standardized to power per unit displacement. We use these types of values in science/research. Sort of similar to "miles per gallon" when comparing fuel economy. I'm sure most of you don't find "hp/liter" useful, but I bet the engineers who actually develop these engines think about it a little. To me, an engine with a higher "hp/liter" number is in a higher state of tune, and roughly correlates with the overall technology that's been designed into the engine.

I know a motion was made to not include bikes, but I think they are relevant, since they are street legal and use the engines described in the thread. Furthermore, superbikes are at the leading edge of performance when it comes to stock production hi-perf street vehicles, so their numbers have relevance.

In superbikes, the 1000 cc bikes are creating around 160 crank hp/liter, and the big-bores (ZX12) are making 150 crank hp/liter. What's amazing are the 600 cc bikes, pushing 200 crank hp/liter. All the top superbikes are DOHC, no pushrods to be found. They can get 50+ mpg, are clean, reliable, streetable, tough as nails, and can dish out the performance numbers. Normally aspirated too. And the motors don't take up much space. Now lets look at the good ol' Harley pushrod engine...it's a whopping 55 crank hp/liter. And the Gen II Viper engine? 56 crank hp/liter. Much as I love the Harley engine, it doesn't even come anywhere close to the performance of the Japanese DOHC engines. No contest. And I don't see the *** bikes going to Harley pushrod technology anytime soon. You've heard about Harley's V-rod I'm sure...their most cutting edge bike of all time...what's in it? A Porsche designed, DOHC V-twin.

As Fast Freddy said, if you take the technology/head/cam design from those superbike DOHC motors and up the displacement to 8+ liters, you're talking about a lot of potential! To me, creating big hp from a small amount of displacment takes a lot more technology than just making an engine bigger alone.

DOHC engines can make torque too...look at the Hayabusa: 85 lb-ft per liter, and the ZX12 Ninja: 83 lb-ft/liter (both at crank). Now the Harley: 58 lb-ft/liter. And the Gen II Viper engine: 61 lb-ft/liter. Since manufacturers typically use DOHC in small engines, the engines will have to rev in order to make overall torque numbers comparable to the bigger displacement engines. But DOHC motors can still make the torque. In my DOHC V8 Tundra, the engine makes 90% of it's torque (290 lb-ft) at 2,000 rpm, and it stays flat until 4,500 rpm.

If they could start using DOHC in large displacement hi-perf car engines, I think we'll see much more appreciation for DOHC. Sure, DOHC doesn't look high tech, but you can't argue with the numbers...

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best engine that I have ever seen was the Dodge stealth's DOHC engine (In fact that's a Mitsubitsi engine). Great performance, easy to maintain, difficult to kill and very high gas mileage for this type engine. That engine was designed in the late 80. It's only now that other manufacturers are able to match its design (BMW and Mercedes).

The problem with push rod engines is that if you blow up the engine there is nothing left to repair. The advantage is the size of the engine and consequently the weight. That's big plus for race cars. The Fix is complexe if repaire is needed. Basically you have to disassemble the entire engine.
For public use OHC is much more suitable. But for high end cars push rods are an interesting technical solution.

This is my point of view ...

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max hp per liter. Lets see I have a 1.3 liter with no valves making about 390 hp per liter. And you could fit 3 1/2 of them in the space of a V-10 :headbang:

I'd love to see someone make a custom eccentric shaft and put together a 7 rotor motor.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the hp/liter number has some value, in terms of comparing different engines. I think of it as a "specific output", where a value can be generated for any reciprocating engine. It "levels" the playing field, so that direct comparisons can be made; in this case, it's standardized to power per unit displacement.
But direct comparisons of what? The problem with hp/l is that it's an arbitrary ratio with no real-world implications at all. All you have said is that it is an indicator of the technology in an engine... well I'm going to have to disagree. Technology can be manifested in different ways. All that matters in an engine are power, efficiency, size, weight and possibly cost (for a road car). The LS6 for example uses technological advances to reduce the weight and increase the power without affecting size and with only a slight effect on efficiency.

if you take the technology/head/cam design from those superbike DOHC motors and up the displacement to 8+ liters, you're talking about a lot of potential!
No not really, which is why bikes aren't relevant here. Smaller displacement motors are extremely easy to pull huge hp/l numbers from because they can rotate much faster (due to smaller cylinders through which to propagate the fuel burn and less mass to spin among other reasons)... the same engine design applied to larger displacement engines doesn't produce anything close to the smaller displacement's numbers. You would never get a street engine with 8 liters of displacement to spin at 13000 rpm reliably. You might as well try to apply model airplane engine design to an 8L engine because after all, 500hp/l is pretty good!

To me, creating big hp from a small amount of displacment takes a lot more technology than just making an engine bigger alone.
Why is it good to minimize displacement?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly! Why IS it good to minimize displacement? In some countries cars are taxed by engine displacement and in many countries fuel is extremely expensive, so these car companies make tiny displacement engines that are also exported to the U.S.
Why have tiny little sewing machines under our hoods?
What if, through extremely complex methods, we could get 300hp from 500cc and 18,000rpm? So what?
There have been V-8 50cc racing bikes.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But direct comparisons of what? The problem with hp/l is that it's an arbitrary ratio with no real-world implications at all. All you have said is that it is an indicator of the technology in an engine... well I'm going to have to disagree. Technology can be manifested in different ways. All that matters in an engine are power, efficiency, size, weight and possibly cost (for a road car). The LS6 for example uses technological advances to reduce the weight and increase the power without affecting size and with only a slight effect on efficiency.

You answered your own question...it's comparing the power output standardized to a set displacement. It may not have real-world applications to us consumers, but in the design and engineering world, it has some meaning. If you read through science and medical journals, you'll see so many arbitrary ratios and statistical calculations that make absolutely no sense to most. But a lot of that does have real-world meaning in the long run. I'm no car engineer, but I am well-versed in medicine and scientific principles, and have worked in research labs.

In science and research, you have to standardize values so you can make direct comparisons. Just like in miles per gallon. If you have two cars that each go 200 miles to a tank, you can't say which one is more fuel efficient unless you standardize it to an arbitrary ratio. One could have a larger tank than another. I'm certain that engine designers cannot just go and make an engine any which way they want. They have to design an engine under given parameters, and one of them is displacement. So they will maximize power, economy, emissions, torque, etc. with what they are given. To do part of that, they will try to maximize the hp/liter ratio. This could be used as a benchmark or "goal" or a datapoint for engineers when they are designing an engine, and comparing the specific outputs of various head/cam profiles. How many times, when you are talking about engines, will you hear someone say "my engine puts out X horsepower"...one of the first things will be "how big is it?"...whether you like it or not, you just indirectly requested the hp/liter ratio.

If you think arbitrary values like that are useless, then talk to Ford, since in the brochure for my Lightning truck, they mention the hp/liter of it's engine (70 hp/liter). It must have some meaning to them. And talk to NASA, where they use a very similar arbitrary ratio called "horsepower per pound". If you are familiar with the STS technical files in the government section of your library, you can read up about the amazing technology they put into the Space Shuttle. One of which is the fuel pump (turbopump) used to feed the main engines. Each fuel pump puts out 76,000 horsepower continuously until main tank separation. And it only weighs 700 pounds. They actually mention that they strived to exceed 100 horsepower per pound of machinery. Does that arbitrary value have any meaning to you? Well it means something to the rocket scientists at NASA.

I said Hp/liter was AN indicator of technology, not the ONLY indicator of technology. I agree that technology can be defined in numerous ways, and that's beyond the scope of this thread.

No not really, which is why bikes aren't relevant here. Smaller displacement motors are extremely easy to pull huge hp/l numbers from because they can rotate much faster (due to smaller cylinders through which to propagate the fuel burn and less mass to spin among other reasons)... the same engine design applied to larger displacement engines doesn't produce anything close to the smaller displacement's numbers. You would never get a street engine with 8 liters of displacement to spin at 13000 rpm reliably. You might as well try to apply model airplane engine design to an 8L engine because after all, 500hp/l is pretty good!

You must not be very familiar with the different types of bike engines out there. Let's consider the V-twin sportbikes. A good one is the RC-51. 1100 cc's, 2 cylinder, DOHC, 135 crank hp. So that's 123 hp/liter. (The Busa, a DOHC inline-4 at 1300 cc's, is 135 hp/liter). Pretty close ratios, huh? And still above the Viper's ratio of 56 hp/liter. Well, the RC-51's cylinders are about twice as large as those in the Busa, and are putting out comparable numbers. And the RC-51 cylinders aren't that much smaller than what you can find in a car engine. Let's make a V8 from the RC-51 engine: 1.1 liters X 4 (to make a V8), comes out to 4.4 liters. So that theoretical 4.4 liter V8 could be producing around 540 hp. Are ~4 liter V8s produced? Maserati, Toyota, and Ford make them. And don't forget, the Viper engine, if you removed two cylinders to "make" it a V8, is only at 6.4 liters, and to me, that's not a very big difference anymore. So the difference in piston sizes between hi-perf V-twin DOHC bikes and car engines is not as big as you think. And hence, to me, bike engines are still relevant, and their head/cam technology can still be applied.

The Nissan Titan DOHC 5.6 liter V8 truck engine makes 68 lb-ft/liter of torque. More than the Viper's 56 lb-ft/liter. And it's just a truck engine, not a performance engine. So let's see, it makes more specific (not overall) torque than a Viper motor, but it's not that much smaller, and uses DOHC. So should they scrap the DOHC and go to pushrods?

The 1300 cc inline-4 Busa engine is essentially half of a CART racing V8 engine (2.65 liters by last year's or so rules). Of course, the stock Busa engine is much less powerful. So you mean to tell me that car makers, like Toyota and Honda, absolutely do not use the technology they get from their tiny "bike-sized" CART engines, and apply them to their larger street car engines? They may not use everything from their racing engines, but I bet you some of that DOHC technology "trickles down" to passenger and sport engines.

The model airplane engine analogy is silly, since the displacement difference between a bike and car engine is much much smaller than the difference between a car and 0.90 cubic inch model airplane engine (we're talking a factor of two vs a factor of 200, respectively). I do agree that (really) small engines can create big power for their size.

Why is it good to minimize displacement?
You'll have to ask the car makers that one. I like big motors. Let me restate my point you quoted. Let's say you had a contest, where you had an engine limit of let's say, one liter, and the winner was the one who made the most power, standardized by using same fuel, normally aspirated. You can use any piston/head technology out there. Other parameters, like fuel efficiency, emissions are out. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that for a given fixed displacement, the engine with more power is probably a little more advanced than the one making less power. And if you try to increase total power of an engine by increasing it's displacement alone, rather than keeping the same (smaller) displacement and then re-designing the heads/cams for more power, the latter, for me, requires more technology.

I'm tired now... :crazy:

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, i havent ever seen a honda 1.8 Liter with over 300 hp.. that with your reasoning.. there should be
btw... last time i looked... the ls6 / 427 small block and the big ol V10 where lasting 24 hours at lemans... why dont the bikes have a endurance race like that(or F1, or CART or other high PER racecars)? lol.. thats just like comapring a small DOHC motor to a 8L pushrod motor.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In superbikes, the 1000 cc bikes are creating around 160 crank hp/liter, and the big-bores (ZX12) are making 150 crank hp/liter. What's amazing are the 600 cc bikes, pushing 200 crank hp/liter.

But this sorta points out why it's ridiculous to compare the Viper's specific output with other 8.0+ liter engines (are there even others to compare?):
The smaller an engine is, the easier it is to maintain high hp/liter, all else being equal. Smaller displacements (generally) mean less reciprocating mass in the crankshaft, in the pistons, in the con rods, valvetrain etc. The last bit is important, and illustrates why F1 cars in recent years can rev so high: the pneumatic valve actuation does away with a lot of the rotational mass and friction inherent in even the most efficient (in terms of hp/l) DOHC engines.
Back to the motorcycle analogy, that also explains why the 600cc bikes can produce more hp/l liter than their larger 1000cc brethren. It's not simply a matter of technology. Some half decade ago, CBR600's were making 160 hp/l, breathing through carburetors. Surely, we can't assume that these 600cc engines were as techonologically advanced as today's liter-class bike engines.
Honda's own S2000, utilizing titanium engine components, variable valve timing, and a fuel management system far more advanced than the old CBR600, can still barely pass 120 hp/l. (The '04 S2000 is actually down in hp/l, much to the improvement in its driveability, and to no detriment to its outright performance, but that's for another time.)
By the same token, the most awesome engine ever developed by BMW for a road-going car was the S70/2 found in the McLaren F1. But even that couldn't match the S2000's hp/l, let alone the hp/l of the carbed CBR600 engine. Are we to assume, then, that the McLaren F1 engine is less "advanced"? Hardly. This is where the "all else being equal" disclaimer comes into play: BMW spent FAR more money and man hours into developing that 6-liter BMW V12. (Honda was originally slated to build the engine, but they had plans for a 3.5-liter engine making ~100 hp/l; when Gordon Murray told them he wanted a 5.5-liter engine to keep pace with the XJ220, Bugatti EB110, etc., they went cold on the deal; could do it with the smaller engine, quite another story once displacement gets that high). In this sense, the advantage should be lobsided in favor of the BMW engine; but it's not.
Even Ferrari's Enzo, utilizing state of the art technology, variable inlet- and exhaust-valve timing, contiuously variable intake runners, etc, is still 12 bhp short of the S2000's hp/l. At 108 hp/l, it's pretty efficient. But that's in hp/l. Is it efficient to build? Not if the $200K replacement cost for the engine is any indication.
Given two engines of similar displacement, but one having a shorter stroke, it's generally easier for the one with the shorter stroke to rotate faster (ie, redline at a higher rpm). This is also how F1 engines are able to produce so much hp. This brings up another point about the importance of hp/l: not only is it advantageous in countries where displacement is taxed, it's also of utmost important in racing series where displacement is limited. Formula One is such a series, with its current 3.0-liter rule. BUT, you'll note that every single one of the teams takes full advantage of that 3.0-liter rule: there's not a single F1 team that uses a 2.7- or 2.8-liter engine, even though we know that with a smaller engine, they could make just as much hp (it'll just be at higher revs). Back in the old days of Can-Am, where there was no displacement limit, the various teams simply went nuts.

Getting back to the Viper, a 4-valve per cylinder DOHC V10 would maximize breathing and hp. But I'll bet that for the $10-15K (or whatever it is that a crate Viper V10 goes for), such an engine won't be anywhere nearly as powerful, light, compact, or reliable. When it comes to the bottom line, one (or all) of those factors will have to be sacrificed. If not, then Porsche would have $20K Carrera GT crate engines for sale. Highly unlikely, considering that's the asking price for one of its N/A flat-6's!

Regarding torque, that's largely a function of stroke/bore/compression ratios as well, and in this sense, the smaller engines can still easily come out ahead w/o it meaning any difference in technological advancement. (Motorcycle engines, for example, can generally tolerate much higher compression ratios.) FWIW, isn't a Viper's actual dyno-tested torque rating closer to 65 ft-lb per liter?

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think arbitrary values like that are useless, then talk to Ford, since in the brochure for my Lightning truck, they mention the hp/liter of it's engine (70 hp/liter). It must have some meaning to them.
It does... marketing. Hp/l seems to be a number that a lot of people think is important, even though they can't explain why. I'm not surprised that Ford would quote it.

And talk to NASA, where they use a very similar arbitrary ratio called "horsepower per pound".
That isn't arbitrary, it's important to know. You need to make a certain amount of horsepower with as little weight as possible, and so hp/lb is very meaningful in this context. In the context of any fixed resource a ratio of that resource to the desired result is important. In the context of a fixed displacement then hp/l is important too. I'm arguing that for us here in the US the hp/l figure really doesn't matter since we aren't limited with regards to displacement.

The Nissan Titan DOHC 5.6 liter V8 truck engine makes 68 lb-ft/liter of torque. More than the Viper's 56 lb-ft/liter. And it's just a truck engine, not a performance engine. So let's see, it makes more specific (not overall) torque than a Viper motor, but it's not that much smaller, and uses DOHC. So should they scrap the DOHC and go to pushrods?
Probably. For their size and weight constraints they would get more power out of a mechanically simpler pushrod engine. But if they already had that engine used elsewhere then it was probably more cost efficient to reuse the engine instead of design another.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that for a given fixed displacement, the engine with more power is probably a little more advanced than the one making less power.
Sure, but that's not applicable here. We aren't limited in displacement, we're limited in other things like allowed weight and total engine size. I can see how hp/ft^3 or hp/lb would be a great measure of the engine, but hp/l?

ZX12 I understand where you are coming from here, but to say that hp/l must be useful somewhere, even if we don't know why is just hand-waving. I can understand hp/lb because it's important to have high hp and low weight, but there is really no reason to have low displacement (in the US, where displacement isn't taxed). So why worry about it? Or is it just a matter of having a "high tech" engine?

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think arbitrary values like that are useless, then talk to Ford, since in the brochure for my Lightning truck, they mention the hp/liter of it's engine (70 hp/liter). It must have some meaning to them.

When your truck is no quicker than an SRT-10 Ram to 60 mph (.3 second slower, actually, by C&D numbers) and 7-11 mph slower at the top end, there's not much else to brag about ('cept maybe the price). It's not like there are a whole lot of supercharged V8 high performance trucks anyway. :D

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a betting man - but I'd bet my wifes entire soft toy collection that if Formula One rules changed and they allowed them to run 8 litre V10 engines they'd make more power and go faster than the current 3 litre engines.

Had to think about that one for a while - but when my one brain neuron kicked in the answer came to me...

High specific power/cc - so what? It's only relevant comparing engines of the same size...

but if you want to nit pick - Mike Morans OHV 2 valve 540 cube engine runs 372.6hp/litre on gas and EFI. Some highly boosted small engine can beat that but even at 850hp/liter - 1.5 litres x 850 = 1275hp about the qualifying limit for the old F1 turbo cars....

now lets see.... a mere 372.6hp/liter x 8.856 = 3300hp

3300hp will beat 1275hp...

on the straights anyway :cool:

so there we have it - size does matter :2tu: