Why a Viper

thinkbig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of you may remember back in 03 Torquemonster posted a story about my son being killed in a car accident by a drunk driver.
What you may not know is that he was so passionate about Vipers and that he would one day own one.
In 02 DC sent a number of Vipers to Australia with four being converted to right hook then on to New Zealand.
One of those cars a graphite RT/10, one of the last produced was among them.
Roll on to 04,TM was in the USA at the time and while speaking by phone said that one of the cars that came here had not sold and maybe still available.
I called the dealer and arranged to drive the car, keep in mind that 3 weeks before all this that I got a message that I was in for a surprise in three weeks.Three weeks to the day I am driving this viper.
That same day another person tried to buy the car, too late, I had my hands on it.
When my boy, affectionately known as "COBB", was alive he had a plate made up to go on his Viper. I got that plate and now it lives on that car."I COBB I"
Looking through some of his things after he had passed I found his dreams list. On it was a Graphite RT/10. He had actually seen this car at a dealership when he was alive.
Have taken a lot of his friends for rides in this and an SRT TT that also came along (another story) They now know what he was on about.
Have put this here as a positive as his name belongs in the Viper community.
Great to see the look on their faces when they get a ride, specially going from the stock RT/10 to the TT and I step on the gas.lol.
You can gaurantee that when those cars go out he is with us.
have a great day.

Last edited:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that is quite some story. Very sorry to hear about the passing of your Son :( But it is good to know that his passions and dreams live on through you and the rest of us in the Viper community. Glad to hear you got the car, that was meant to be.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your son. Having lost a brother to a drunk driver and seeing the pain on my parents face as well as my own I know how difficult it is.

Congrats on your (and your son's) Viper. Drive safe and enjoy.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story, Thanks for sharing. I lost my wife and 3 younger kids to a drunk driver in 2000. I am still suffering from neck pain and am reminded of the accident daily because of the pain. (afer 3 spinal surgeries and maybe 100 spinal taps)

Again thanks for sharing.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW !!!. What an awesome story and I'm glad you can keep the memory of your son alive with such an amazing car. Thanks for sharing. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

thinkbig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted this on a positive note in that he did more in 20 years than a lot will do in a life time.
Because of the response that came from this forum back in 03 when TM first posted it, also wanted to say thanks.
His younger sister is also a petrol head and shares his passion for Vipers.
There was over 1000 people attended his funeral, a number of which made themselves known to us and told us that they had considered suicide until he became friends with them.
The University residence that he was attending created a cup in his name for the most awesome person and was to be handed out each year to a student who best represented those qualities.
On the day he was killed he had just been with some friends and was heading to see another friend who's partner had just had a baby girl,they had asked Lawrence to be her Godfather.
As some of you have experienced similar it certainly makes you put life in perspective.
At the time it happened we were away in Hawaii and it took 30 hrs to get home, his little sister was home waiting for him to return when the Police gave her the news, longest 30 hrs of my life.
When I was at the airport waiting to leave for Hawaii I had spoken to him a couple of times and had just ended each call with "See you mate" (Kiwi term).Before I got on the plane I had a real need to call him once more, the end of that conversation was "I love you mate" his reply "I love you dad".Last thing we ever said to each other, another lesson be carefull what you say when you leave someone, may be the last chance you have.
The last video we have of him was taken by his sister on the day he died, on a 660cc Raptor Quad doing donuts in the mud big grin on his face as he sprayed her with mud.
I am a better person for him being in my life, as are a lot of others.
If you have Kids make sure they have dreams and know how to chase them as they will have a positive impact as they pass through. His sister is the same.
I posted a similar thread on the Alley as although still part of the Viper community there were some things said that would have been best left unsaid,(not about this) when I read them made me think about Lawrence.If he could not say anything positive he would say nothing, the irony is that he taught me a lot as we raised him.
Would like to get out to VOI this year as I am sure he will be.
Again thanks. Will post some photos later.

Last edited:

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the story. Just said a prayer that God is looking over COBB and that you'll one day be together again. God bless.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ray

Lawrences funeral was the most inspirational one I have ever attended. I've not seen so many lives touched by an older person let alone a 20 year old. He lives on in our hearts and is in a better place.

I can only imagine some of the conversations you'd have with him driving those 2 Vipers! That graphite RT/10 was definitely meant to be... wasn't it also one of the very last ever made?

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a story... I am so sorry to here about your son I know exactly how you feel, my daughter Jennifer was killed in a car accident november 16th 2007 on her way to my studio where she was the office manager. She loved my Viper too we had actually been out a couple weeks before her accident looking for a good spot to take some photos of it.
(i really cherish the memories of that day) One of the spots we were looking at to take some shots of the viper was next to the cemetery that she is now buried in. I never thought in a million years that two weeks later she would be there.

I can't imagine having to take that 30 hour flight after hearing about your son. When I got the call about Jennifer's accident I took off for the hospital got about a mile from my studio only to see her car on it's top in the middle of the median. I only remember driving like a madman to get to the hospital 10 miles away lucky i did not cause an accident myself but all i could think of was getting to her.

God Bless you and your family
Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_