why do people hate on these cars so damn much!!!

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never get dirty looks or anything of the such. I get either ignored (like any other car), a smile and thumbs up, or a double look (the most common).

I think a lot of it is how you drive too. I am not aggressive on the road at all, I mean, after all it is just another car. But I have been with other Viper drivers that are aggressive, and sure enough they get the dirty looks and the fingers. Just like any other wiener would get driving any car like that.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Live your like like you want to. Who cares what other people think of your car. Remember 1 in 3 are idoits, and it's getting worse. My friend once said why do I have a car like that. I asked him why do you have a house like this? ( 5 million) husband and wife. Then I asked hime about his golf clubs. I guess if the show fits wear it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Live your like like you want to. Who cares what other people think of your car. Remember 1 in 3 are idoits, and it's getting worse. My friend once said why do I have a car like that. I asked him why do you have a house like this? ( 5 million) husband and wife. Then I asked hime about his golf clubs. I guess if the show fits wear it.

It's really early in the morning for you isn't it. :)

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the reaction you get is the impression you give out. I can appreciate a lot of cars and have given other drivers a thumbs up and a smile from 50's street rods, 60's muscle cars, a Ford Crown Vic on a F-350 4WD chassis, to a new Smart Car. I can't say I have had any negative reactions to my GTS or RT/10. If you act like a ****, people treat you like a ****.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why he spit on your car.

A smile and a "too many cops" response would have left a better impression.

I'm not saying the kid wasn't an idiot or didn't deserve the look you gave him, but the results would have been a lot different with a simple "nope can't do it" response.

Totally agree. It was you, not the car. In fact, I think by owning a Viper you have an obligation to be a diplomate for the car. To spend the extra minute to open the hood for someone, talk cars with them, etc. Otherwise we will end up with a reputation like the Porsche, MB and BMW guys, and probably a lot more keying. I always have found that the Viper evokes the feeling of "Wow, check out that cool car" rather than a MB SL or Porsche Turbo which tend to evoke "Wow, check out that rich ****"

Couldn't you spare a rev?

Off my soap box......

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree. It was you, not the car. In fact, I think by owning a Viper you have an obligation to be a diplomate for the car. To spend the extra minute to open the hood for someone, talk cars with them, etc. Otherwise we will end up with a reputation like the Porsche, MB and BMW guys, and probably a lot more keying. I always have found that the Viper evokes the feeling of "Wow, check out that cool car" rather than a MB SL or Porsche Turbo which tend to evoke "Wow, check out that rich ****"

Couldn't you spare a rev?

Off my soap box......

I am a bit shy when approached because I always dread the question of how much does it cost or what kind of job do I have. Granted, I have given rides to complete strangers and popped the hood on several occasions, but I am a bit reluctant to sit and talk most of the time because I always seem to get a question about my bankroll which I find to be pretty rude.

I even had someone follow me into a parking lot and tell me I was too young for a car like that (04 SRT) and should have started with a vette. I told him I skipped those and kept walking.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Living in redneck central where everyone else is driving a 4x4 or minivan does not hurt.

I usually don't drive it around here (except to gas up and leave town. My Viper is for driving Highway 20 and further. Drove 500mi to Mission Car show and then drove another 300 miles to Washdougal to check out a Stealth TT from partsrack/JonB. Bought the car (and a trailer to tow it in), then drove the 800 miles home to get the Hemi Ram and go get everything.

I did get a woman ask me once, "when are you going to buy something practical?" I walked over to her quadcab pickup and looked in the empty box. "Are you trying to tell me that your MT pickup that gets lousy gas mileage compared to my Viper is practical?" End of that conversation.

I often get asked, "How much did you pay for that?" My answer is, "About the price of your new pick up." That makes them feel comfortable that I'm not lauding them with my higher value? If I like I can mention the $1000 for each wheel or the cost of the blower, etc., but I don't, unless I'm talking to a car guy.

Ted

VipeRauf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to the Ocean City June 6-7, 2009 carshow this year with the Viper,

and NEVER have I seen a bigger collection of a**h****s, pricks, losers, cramped into one place. Literally, every 2 minutes, somebody would yell something out their hotel balconies, their cars, I had 2 big ass pick up trucks with side exhausts with people on the bed, rev their cars as they were passing by mine, blowing fumes on the car just to piss me off.

There was an instant when a huge group of people on the sidewalk were yelling "rev it!!!" "burnout!!", which I of course ignored, and accelerated as slowly as I could to piss 'em off, only to hear "You have a sports car, drive it like one you spoiled Piece of s**t (I'm 21)"

The list goes on guys....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
""and accelerated as slowly as I could to piss 'em off,""

bit of a clue as to why people might be ********** at you?

Most people are looking for excuses to let out their anger. Most people often invent reasons to act badly ... but if you actively TRY to anger people they will normally get angry at you 99% of the time.

Ted

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
""and accelerated as slowly as I could to piss 'em off,""

bit of a clue as to why people might be ********** at you?

Most people are looking for excuses to let out their anger. Most people often invent reasons to act badly ... but if you actively TRY to anger people they will normally get angry at you 99% of the time.

Ted
so what you're saying is that we are supposed to do what these people ask all the time? Hey I drive like a grandma and don't like peeling out, and doing stupid things. So if someone gets pissy that I wouldnt do their bidding, i would deserve it right?

it really bothers me when people yell dumb stuff like that over to me and expect me to do whatever they say....screw that

VipeRauf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so what you're saying is that we are supposed to do what these people ask all the time? Hey I drive like a grandma and don't like peeling out, and doing stupid things. So if someone gets pissy that I wouldnt do their bidding, i would deserve it right?

it really bothers me when people yell dumb stuff like that over to me and expect me to do whatever they say....screw that

EXACTLY,

Why would I risk getting pulled over, wrecking, wasting TIRE TREAD, GAS, just to impress a bunch of people on the sidewalk?

You have no idea how much negativitiy I experienced during those 2 days, IGNORED every single one of 'em, even though I had the urge to shove my fist down their throat 95% of the time.

The way I look at it, what's the point ? If someone hates on you, just ignore them, no matter what they say or do. It's not like you'll ever see that person again anyway, so why bother getting into a fight or whatever that could possibly get you arrested, hurt or worse

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXACTLY,

Why would I risk getting pulled over, wrecking, wasting TIRE TREAD, GAS, just to impress a bunch of people on the sidewalk?

You have no idea how much negativitiy I experienced during those 2 days, IGNORED every single one of 'em, even though I had the urge to shove my fist down their throat 95% of the time.

The way I look at it, what's the point ? If someone hates on you, just ignore them, no matter what they say or do. It's not like you'll ever see that person again anyway, so why bother getting into a fight or whatever that could possibly get you arrested, hurt or worse
OK I agree, but then try imagining one of those people spit on your car? Thats over the top and no matter how bad my look was, that was OVER THE TOP!

everyone here is making it seem like I deserved having some punk kid spit on my car....all you guys have someone spit on your car and see how you feel.

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I foam at the mouth in excitement every time I see a viper on the road. This last friday I was on hwy 69 in oklahoma and saw a black gen2(i think) sure was purdy!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK I agree, but then try imagining one of those people spit on your car? Thats over the top and no matter how bad my look was, that was OVER THE TOP!

everyone here is making it seem like I deserved having some punk kid spit on my car....all you guys have someone spit on your car and see how you feel.

How I live is that I live according to me, not just in reaction to others around me. I don't care if you order me to do something or not, if you're not paying me, then I do what I want.

If someone spits on my car ... that'll probably be their clothes I'll using when I wipe their spit off my car. Anyone that spits on another man's car is completely ignorant and that can be considered a civil matter and a lawyer would sue for $30,000 for public embarrassment - and probably get it! (I'm not a lawyer).

I do a burnout when I feel like it. When asked to do a burnout there'd better be a good reason (asker is best looking woman on the planetand half dressed) or I'll just smile, nod my head and drive on.

Ted

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a bit shy when approached because I always dread the question of how much does it cost or what kind of job do I have. Granted, I have given rides to complete strangers and popped the hood on several occasions, but I am a bit reluctant to sit and talk most of the time because I always seem to get a question about my bankroll which I find to be pretty rude.

I even had someone follow me into a parking lot and tell me I was too young for a car like that (04 SRT) and should have started with a vette. I told him I skipped those and kept walking.

I think most people don't realize how cheap you can get a Viper for now a days. I tell them you can probably get a 97 GTS like mine for 40-45k. That's about the same price as a nice, new pickup! Heck, there is a SRT-10 for sale on this site for 39k! I would be too embarrassed about owning a car that costs that much...

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get alot of neg reactions. I also think it's because I'm young(er). If they want me to spin them...I tell them I will burn them to the rim if they buy them.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had only one negative reaction and that was someone in a Camaro going the other way gave me the thumbs down. I just chalked it up to assuming the guy thought I was in a Corvette and he was tired of seeing them.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever I've been asked to "light 'em up", I smile and say "not enough power".

Mostly I get thumbs up, but then again the recession hasn't made it here yet.:dunno:

I just mention that I can't light up because I'm subject to random testing... Rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy... etc.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While the spitting is a ***** move, I don't see why some on here would buy a Viper or similar car and then do their best to "avoid" or be surprised at the attention they inherently will draw....it just makes no sense:dunno:

I get asked all kinds of questions/comments whether I am driving down the hwy, parked to get gas or just walking in/out from a workout. I always take the time to talk with them, answer their questions, open the hood and if I feel I am in a safe situation (that is a personal judgement), I will give them a quick rev or break them loose, if asked. I have found it usually makes their day and have always received positive responses/comments. Even if Vipers don't cost what we think is much money these days, it will still remain a "dream car" for many who would love to own one.

Several years ago I came out from a store and had a couple young guys taking pictures and gushing over my previous car. I was in a rush, but took the time to speak with them, pop the hood, etc. Then I said I had to leave and they asked if they could follow me with their video camera. I said sure, but don't expect anything special. I got on it for a short period on the on-ramp and gave them a quick WOT shot when they were along side me and that was it. As a result of that interaction, we became friends over time. I guess the point I am making is similar to what other have said, it is better to smile and if possible, take a moment to leave them with a positive interaction of you and the source of their attention, your car. You would be surprised of the long-term impact positive/negative that short interaction can have on a person.:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960