Why does "Road & Track" bash the Viper?

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why does

Mike,

I respect what you said. For the record, I have nothing personal against Russ or anyone else on this thread. Russ has made posts most recently on the flickering lights issue where, though I never posted it, I agree with him 100%. I even agreed with Russ that there may be bias somewhere as this is a part of human nature. If that was not clear from earlier then let me clearly state my agreement with that sentiment. Are European magazines biased against American cars? Possibly. Having never read one though, I can’t actually say. But to claim bias by American auto magazines you first have to take an honest look at what they have written. You’ll see they are more than fair.

Russ supported his conclusion that MT was biased by saying, among other things, that they included the Mosler and did not say it was a non street-legal ringer. Not only did they actually use the word "ringer" in describing the Mosler but they clearly stated that the version they tested was not street-legal. Russ further argued that the Viper would have won all the tests but for the Mosler. In fact, the Murcielago, a production car, defeated the Viper on ½ the tests and the tiebreaker went to the Evolution. No bias, just the facts.

Before claiming R&T is biased against the Viper read their most complimentary review on the SRT-10 this year. R&T’s September 2003 Road Test summary highlights the fact that the SRT-10 can decisively out corner (as measured by lateral-g limits) any car they have ever tested, including the Enzo, McLaren F1 and the Saleen S7. The summary shows that the Enzo’s braking prowess falls within the scope of the Viper’s. Where? In bold type at the bottom of every summary is information on significant difference. That is, the range within which performance differences can be considered similar and outside of which become significant.

"In every measure of performance there’s Dodge and Ferrari – then there’s everything else." "Get on your knees and bow in homage to the master…the Viper." "The Viper delivers such a groundforce of quaking performance it should come equipped with its own seismometer." "There is simply no other production car like the wholly brutal Viper." "The Viper is easily forgiven its price by virtue of its remarkable ability to bend time and space." "It cut a swath of destruction through our tests." Biased? All these statements are from various editions of Motor Trend in describing the Viper in head-to-head competition against Ferraris, Porsches and the like.

Car and Driver’s bit with the eggs and bacon on the SRT-10 was in poor taste. I will be the first to concede that. However, a single joke, albeit one in poor taste, does not mean they hate Vipers. They are critics, they criticize everyone. Has anyone read Automobile Magazine’s Eddie Alterman’s recent savaging of Porsche and their decision to build the Cayenne?

I’ll leave you with this excerpt by Car and Driver’s senior editor, Brock Yates in the September 2002 edition of Car and Driver.

Although several other car magazines would have you believe that Ferraris and Lamborghinis are the ne plus ultra of fast road cars, a look at the results of both these events reveals that the potency of those exotics is seriously overhyped. Not one of them appeared for the Supercar Challenge, and not a single Ferrari in the nearly two-decade history of One Lap has ever finished in the top 25. This year, a well-prepared, well-driven Lamborghini Diablo struggled to finish 10th, mainly because boulevard-style brakes were not up to the task of hauling down the 3600-pound cruiser for slow corners. Said the owner after the finish, 'We brought a jackknife to a gun fight.'

By the way, I've got $5000 on the table that says there isn't a Ferrari in the world that can finish in the top three at the 2003 One Lap of America.

Truth be known, the marques that consistently do well in the high-speed games that you'll read about in these pages are Corvettes, Vipers, Porsches, and BMWs. Year in and year out, they're the major players, and all the swooning about Italian iron fades away when the party gets rough. I know this is heresy: Italian cars look great on Rodeo Drive and parked in front of the Hôtel de Paris in Monaco, but when it comes to a hard-core street fight, they're as soft as mozzarella in the Tuscan sun. And that goes for the gold-chain wankers in the Ferrari Challenge—the only people they can beat are one another.
All boldfaces are mine. Bias? There are no sacred cows guys. Magazines tag everyone, no exceptions.

Later.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with editors targeting certain cars or manufacturers, AS LONG AS IT'S FACTUAL. Brock Yates statements are 100% fact. Period.

On the other hand, you have the Euro trash rags that over-inflate the performance of certain makes, and vice-versa for others. It is obvious to anyone that is involved in racing, whether it be 1/4 mile or road racing venues, where the truth lies. For example, pick up any current Euro-trash rag and witness a perfect track/road car - the Ferrari 360 or Lambo. Then, once you actually leave the magazine stand and go to a track, REALITY HITS. You witness a $50,000 Corvette Z06 or a $80,000 Viper not only beat, but DESTROY these cars (Equal drivers).

THIS IS THE EXACT REASON BROCK YATES WROTE THAT ARTICLE. He was tired, as we are, of reading about the incredible/unbeatable $150,000+++ Exotics that don't live up to the hype.

So my advice to all the naysayers is this - Put those magazines to use. If you crinkle them enough, they become fine toiletry. Once your off the ***, go visit the nearest road course and see the TRUTH - first hand. From that point forward, your car rags will be picture books only....

And you will laugh at people that defend these rags.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why does \"Road & Track\" bash the Viper?

I canceled my 3-year subscription (unpaid) to R&T the day after the infamous SRT “egg frying” article. We can all tolerate a little bias but that was way outside the bounds of journalistic professionalism.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bwright wrote:
That there was one "race-ready" car in the test makes for interesting consideration of what the street car would do if it were driven off the track and pitted against a dedicated race car.

The Mosler just for comparison??? Ummmmm... Then why let it have all the records;

And I quote:
"If there's one stand-out performer among this group, it's the Mosler MT900 Photon, outright winning six of the nine contests. The MT900 Photon single-handedly broke nine individual Motor Trend records".

Why????? Straight-cut gearbox, Hoosiers, not even street legal, vs. showroom stock cars, some on run-flat tires. :rolleyes:

Another quote from the article:
"Mosler MT900 Photon:Viper-humbling performance"

Ouch!!! Thats a direct HIT. Why not Murcielago-humbling performance, or Maranello-humbling performance? Both cars are $200K+ coupes, just like the Mosler is. But noooo they had to hit on Dodge's $80K convertible. Why down-play the Viper's performance?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

M. Rod - Great comments. My thoughts exactly.

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score

M.Rod,

For the millionth time: Bias is not the mere inclusion of something but the failure to inform of/qualify its presence. The fact that you knew it had a straight-cut gearbox, Hoosiers, and was not even street legal, means that all one has to do is discount the Mosler’s performance since it was not a production car and only count the performance of the production cars. I am 100% certain this issue would have been clear and not a point of discussion if a Competition Coupe had been used in place of the Mosler. Yes, they indicated that the Mosler won 6 of the tests outright. That is what its numbers reflect and a barometer of what to expect should you encounter one at the autocross/track/road course/drag strip where it is entirely possible you just might. You will never meet one on the road. They tested it and so were obligated to post the numbers. However, by making it crystal clear that it was a "race ready" not street-legal production car (millionth and one time) they put everyone on notice that its results are no more to be taken seriously from a production standpoint than if they had included a Competition Coupe for interesting comparison. They did not try to sneak the Mosler’s nature by anyone. I give up on making this any clearer and will not address the question again.

Why not Murcielago-humbling performance, or Maranello-humbling performance?

For the same reason they did not say "delivers Evolution-humbling performance," or delivers "Mustang-humbling performance." You only make comparisons to the perceived production class performance leader (VIPER) and NOT the also-rans. :( I am disappointed that this has to be explained to anyone. Why on earth would they compare the Mosler to the Maranello? The Maranello did not beat the Viper at anything. The Murcielago barely eked out its technical wins in acceleration only and was fortunate that those tests were broken out into four bits. Even then, it got its head torn off by the Viper on the all important road course, losing by almost a full second. It wasn’t even close on any of the braking/other handling tests. As Motor Trend put it in describing the Viper: "Omnipotent is too tame a word."

Yeah, pretty biased against it.

OP
OP
Russ Oasis

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BWright,
You are WRONG. Bias is ANYTHING that creates a feeling or opinion which is different than the facts present. A magazine including a car which they casually mention that "it isn't street legal," and then including it in the graphs which represent the street legal cars, is an example of bias. The writers know that most people open to the test and immediately read the graphs, which dominate the page(s). In those graphs, the Viper loses to the non street legal race car. It would therefore appear to the person who doesn't ready every single word or disclaimer, that the Viper got beaten by another [street legal] car in the test.

Every single person who reads this thread disagrees with you. You can't find ONE advocate, yet you continue to persist...just for the sport of argument. If you don't see the bias in the car magazines, then you aren't very smart, which I think you like to pride yourself on. BTW...speaking of being smart, I hope that you note that you continue to use the "Motor Trend" article for the basis of your argument. I started this thread with the statement that "ROAD & TRACK" is bias. Perhaps you should have been the one to reread what I wrote rather than insisting every other person who responds to this thread, rereads this, that, or the other thing. One final comment...just admit that you don't own a Viper, because no matter how many times I ask you if you do...you never answer the question. So...how's that Aztec?

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just got my SRT-10.
Traded the 02 turbo Porsche.
So there.
Who cares what the magazines say. It's the passion for our cars, that's what counts. I missed that connection with my Porsche. So I sold it.
Those guys don't feel passion, for them it's a job.

Viper Z

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a curious note about the Motor Trend Shoot-out:

If you look closely at each car's interior picture you'll notice the Mosler on the side rear-view mirrors. Hidden message? ;)

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I’m not very smart? OK. I don’t believe I am smarter than anyone else on this thread or necessarily smarter than anyone in particular so I suppose you must be correct :2tu: .

Every single person who reads this thread disagrees with me? Odd. If I am not mistaken someone disagreed with you on the very first page of this thread. You think numbers of supporters equates to merit? In the now infamous poll against the SRT-10 on the GEN II board supporters of the SRT-10 were laughably outnumbered. Were the car’s detractors right because there were more of them?

One final comment...just admit that you don't own a Viper, because no matter how many times I ask you if you do...you never answer the question.
Russ, I am not avoiding the question. In my very first post on this thread I said what cars were in my garage. In an earlier thread you asked me the same specific question and I answered it directly. Here’s the link:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=321156&Forum=UBB21&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=316373&Search=true#Post321156

Seeing as how I’m not very smart and all I thought for sure someone like you on the other hand was surely too smart to have missed the cars in my first post or forgotten my earlier direct answer and so was just asking one of them there rhetorical questions. Your powers of recollection must have been resting a spell. So once again, no Russ, though I have test driven both a GTS and an SRT-10 I do not own a Viper. An Aztec? Hmmm. I would never have guessed you actually possessed a sense of humor.

How did we get on to Motor Trend? :D Funny that you ask. Zoomie brought MT’s test up and I was responding separately to some inaccuracies in his post. Out of nowhere, you leapt in with this gem
I have to jump in one more time here BWright. MT did not say that the Mosler was an all out race car.
Later, when it became so painfully apparent that they did indeed use the exact words "race-ready" and in fact so clearly qualified the car as a "Ringer" (MT’s quotes) that even a Viper owner said MT clearly identified the car as a ringer, you decided to try another tack. Not content to waste everyone’s time with one key factual error you quickly added another.
"The Mosler was the only car that prevented the Viper from winning straight across the board.
So yet more time was spent pointing out the truth, which was that in fact two other production cars, the Murcielago which took four out of the nine tests and the Evolution which took the tiebreaker made your statement emphatically incorrect. Small wonder that you want things quickly brought back to R&T.

A performance chart in and of itself is not evidence of bias. Indeed, as it shows decisive victories over the competition then there is clearly no bias in the reporting of the facts. The only thing then that can show bias is an article. You said R&T writes subjective articles. Interestingly, when I asked which article set you off you said there was no specific article?! I then asked if you had reviewed the evidence in the glowing review of the SRT-10 this year. You indicated that you were not sure(!) who wrote the complimentary article, R&T or Car & Driver?! However, you said you remembered a bit about frying eggs on the sills. That would be Car & Driver. If you are going to accuse someone of something as serious as bias you might find it helpful to correctly identify the offender.

Herewith some quotes from the last three articles R&T wrote on the Viper:

"The Viper has the classic proportioning and detailing that will wear well." "Offered as a convertible only, the three layer top fits snugly, allowing the Viper to be used almost year-round." "The Viper’s curvaceous new body is as refined as the new cockpit." "The redesigned cockpit sublimely blends brushed aluminum accents with straightforward analog instruments. The Tremec T-56 6-speed manual is gifted with short, sure throws. With such prodigious power on tap, clutch take-up is remarkably civil. At low throttle openings, the car is tractable, the rack-and-pinion steering easy to handle. Jump on the throttle and the familiar head-tossing acceleration is there. "The Viper's ability to explode out of the blocks hasn't changed." "Beautiful body." "Head-on, the Viper retains its boldness thanks to that grille opening and a functional hood scoop. Detailing like the multi-element headlamps, louvered air extractors and crisp fender creases adds to this take-no-prisoners aura. "The Viper will continue to grab attention in rearview mirrors across the country." In one test R&T had Le Mans Viper pro Tommy Archer put up the numbers in both the SRT-10 and the Competition Coupe.

You’re right Russ, given that I can’t find the bias in those articles I must just not be very smart.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why does \"Road & Track\" bash the Viper?

My apologies to Road & Track. It was Car & Driver that did the SRT "egg fry."

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bwright,

Go tell your kids a bedtime story because the only thing your long boring uneventful posts are good for is inducing sleep. I have come to the conclusion that your uncanny writing skills should be put to use changing the biased minds of the editors at the aforementioned automobile magazines. Consider yourself hired.

PS. Will write my obituary?

PPS. You should consider auditioning for the part of the sheep in the Serta commercials.

1....2.....3.......4...ZZzzZZZZzzZ

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whats this whole "egg frying" thing? Can someone link me to an article or maybe tell me where I can get this issue?

And people people... relax. Our car gets tons of respect. Everywhere I read and hear, people reference the Viper as one of the gods of the car world. And with that comes many harsh criticisms as well, do not forget. Its as simple as that. The more respect you get, the more people want to bring you down or talk down on what you have.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just read the latest (Dec) R&T. They grouped the Viper with the Mustang and Corvette as examples of American cars that do not attain supercar status. They go on to compare the GT only against the 360. It looks like Ford paid them well to only compare the GT against the Ferrari, which it can best in almost any category.I did not see much that it could beat the Viper at. They state, and I quote, " ... to build this high-performance sports car - not only the finest in America, but one to challenge the class benchmark, the Ferrari 360 Modena." Comparing the GT only against the Ferrari is bs. The Gen I RT/10 meets or exceeds most of the Ferrari performance numbers. Where it doesn't are class, style, ellegance, ease of driving and the Ferrari history. This is not to rag on the Gen I but wonder why the 360 is the performance goal post. Not from Ford, they can choose any goal they want, but from a magazine. They should choose the closest competitors the potential buyers market will be choosing from. For the GT I would think the Viper, Porsche turbo, Murcielago, etc would be possible comparisons. All of which beat the Ferrari numbers.

BTW the weight was listed as 3390 lbs so it now weighs more than the SRT convertible. Stock against stock I would bet on the SRT with a slightly higher power to weight ratio and significantly more torque. Better braking and skidpad numbers indicate it may have a handling advantage as well.

So much for the unbiased R&T.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whats this whole "egg frying" thing? Can someone link me to an article or maybe tell me where I can get this issue?

And people people... relax. Our car gets tons of respect. Everywhere I read and hear, people reference the Viper as one of the gods of the car world. And with that comes many harsh criticisms as well, do not forget. Its as simple as that. The more respect you get, the more people want to bring you down or talk down on what you have.

It doesn't get much more biased than this:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=2486&page_number=1

I understand that they are trying to be clever, but you can BET that they would never take these kinds of ***-shots at any of their beloved European supercars.

They were TOLD in advance that the tested SRT-10 was a prototype mule, that had known issues with heat, and that those heat problems would be minimal on the production cars, but the journalists spent all of their time nit-picking detail flaws and made a BIG deal about it, blindly overlooking the Viper's merits. :(

Yet at the same time they will mention that the Porsche GT2 "doesn't have have the ride of a Rolls Royce" describing that it's harsh on rough road surfaces, and then describe the Viper's ride as "loosening tooth fillings".
They downplay the relatively low torque of the Ferrari 360, Lambo Gallardo, and Porsche GT2, talking about the beautiful sound of the efficient, high-revving engines. Downplay the relatively high prices of the cars (and $$$ maintenance), speaking of how nice that interior materials are, about the new GPS and carbon fiber trim options available, and the historic racing heritage of the cars. :mad:

Please spare me.. :rolleyes:

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte