Why high end car dealers are so stupid ?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I hate to say it, but any time I drive to a dealership with my viper, I get complete respect. I know thats not fair, or shoudlnt happen. but I have easily driven over $750k dollars worth of cars, most notably 2 weekends ago:

Ferrari 360 Spider
Porsche 911 GT2
Porsche 911 Turbo X50
Porsche 911 Turbo

Prior to that
BMW M5
Mercedes SL55
Mercedes SL500
Mercedes CL600

All of which, allowed me to truly flogg the cars, as they noticed I was sincere in my desire to find an alternative to the viper.

I know sales people can be azzholes, but I think if we walk in with a level of dignity and dress properly, and yes, even drive a nice car into the dealership, we will get a level of service second to none. Should we have to do all that ?? NO, but if its that big of a deal to eveyone, then follow that simple equation, and its a pretty close sure fire solution to the attention, respect and desire to drive the cars, that you are looking for.

Jon

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about it... if you barely make $100 a day selling cars... which customer are you more likely to be nice to?? The punk kid in sweat pants driving the econo car... or the older, well dressed, more sophisticated-looking gentleman in the luxury sedan??

If I barely made $100 a day selling cars, I would be nice to each and every customer that walked in so I could make some damn money... In fact, I'd be nice to everyone of them regardless of how much money I was making. It's called customer service and being a good salesman. I figure this would go for ANY type of business. I'd fire my employee on the spot if I caught them giving the cold shoulder and causing the customer to leave regardless of first impressions.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They "allowed me to truly flog the cars"!!! And you had no intention of buying? If I was a dealer I wouldn't let you in my show room. Flogging new cars that haven't been broken in yet and just for fun? I hope you end up buying one someday that somebody else has flogged.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They "allowed me to truly flog the cars"!!! And you had no intention of buying? If I was a dealer I wouldn't let you in my show room. Flogging new cars that haven't been broken in yet and just for fun? I hope you end up buying one someday that somebody else has flogged.

Glad to see you took the time to look at a few things azzhole. First my new user name, 2005 Turbo S, wonder what that means ??? hmmmm..

Next, maybe if you read closer you would have seen I said "as they noticed I was sincere in my desire to find an alternative to the viper."

I didnt say anything about tricking anyone. I have better things to do then joy ride cars I have no intention of buying.

Thanks for preaching, but now piss off.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to go with BobK.
Even if you are a serious buyer, that, "truly flogg the cars", statement just sound's like something a teenager would brag about.

Perhaps you have a different definition of "truly flog".

What's it mean to you?

And why is he an "azzhole"?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go with BobK on this one too. I would never flog a new car. A couple quick bursts to get a good feel for it, but no speed shifting, no redlining etc. A salesman 'flogged' an Acura with me in the passenger seat, and while impressed with his driving abilities, I was thinking do I really want to buy this car after this guy scrubs 3000 miles of rubber off the tires, overheats the brake pads, and redlines a fresh engine.....not only with ME, but how many other 'test riders?'

Now, when I was a kid.....maybe. But an adult generally doesn't consider it proper or respectful. Like calling someone names for expressing an OPINION.

Sounds like a used car salesman I know.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I guess we have an obvious difference in what flog means, as to me it means to "drive very aggressively." It does not mean to speed shift, dump the clutch at 6k or anything else that any right minded individual who respects cars wouldn't do. These cars were "demo" cars, and as such, already had mileage on them, and the sales people FIRST drove them VERY aggressively, before allowing me to do the same.

I called him an azzhole because I was trying to explain that when I go in with a good attitude, dress appropriately, and yes, even drive a viper in, it has always been a positive experience. So, why he tried to pull out the "driving the cars hard" and chastising me over it just didn't sit right with me.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it look's like some other guys agree with BobK.

Your definition of "truly flog", doesn't sound like the kind of thing I supposed you were doing. And if you did it with a salesman sitting right beside you, it probably wasn't too bad.

I didn't believe any dealer would let you "truly flog" a Ferrari 360 Spider anyway.

I still don't think BobK is an "azzhole".

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive up in the Viper when you want to get some from a chick. However if you're buying something, you've blown your bargaining position. Better hide the car then.