why is the NY/CT region so pathetic ?

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked on the calenders of events for the NY/CT region and there is nothing for the whole year except a cruise to a winery and a car show. Does anyone race around here ? No Vette/Viper shootouts ?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you been to any of the meetings? We own an autocross equipment and we'll be doing it again this summer. Also we'll be going to Watkins Glen.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why don't YOU plan an event for YOUR club??

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a darn good excuse for the winter months.
YOU are the club. Figure out what you want and organize it. I'm sure they'll help.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once Spring hits the calendar fills up pretty quickly with racing and non racing events practically every week end. Hang in there and get on the mailing list for club events....there's plenty to do.

POIZENUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are one of the most active clubs in the country!
Where have you been?

It takes a lot of time and effort to set up a quality event.
I have a meeting with Republic Airport to use one of their
runways for a drag race and autocross event.

A Skip Barber advanced Viper class in April is in the works.

A trip is planned to MT. Washington in New Hampshire with
the New England and Canadian club in June.
Watkins Glen in July. Everything will be posted in due time. Do I have your email address Jeff?

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I post on here all the time about drag racing. No one ever responds.

This is my first year in the NY/CT region so I can't speak from experience. However, last year's calendar did look pretty full.

Anyway, I assume West Hampton is the closest drag track. Did the club go there last year?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is still early- New England has not posted our full schedule on the calender yet. I am sure yours will fill up. Not sure what region of New York your in, Englishtown may be your closest track. If you need more track time check with NJ... and your always welcome to join us in New Rengland for a track event (but its probably a 3 hour ride for you).

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your talking "cruises", no offense but they usually wind up to be the same boring thing: everyone gets in a line and drives like my grandmother to our final destination which is usually some place with a pre-set meal. I'm not saying we need to drive recklessly, but can we pick it up a bit? And as far as food goes, I don't have a problem paying for it, so spare me the $12.00 all you can eat Buffet mentality. And lets find some more exciting things to do other than stand around in an unpaved parking lot waiting for two over paid and over hyped juiceheads to come out of their bike shop and snap some pictures (and then not even let us into their shop.) Sorry if I offended anyone but that is just how I see it, the club is just a little too lame.

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you unclgreggy.....

I'll be at Englishtown Raceway next weekend. Racing my car as it was meant to.

POIZENUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you think 72 Vipers going up I-87 at triple digit speed is driving like your grandmother, I don't think so.
Getting up there was the exciting part.

I don't know what club you are hanging out with but we never went to a $12.00 buffet or anything like it.

If you want to do something more exciting why don't YOU plan an event? Where were you when we had our autocross event in Tarrytown?
I am currently working with Skip Barber to put together a Viper autocross and formula 1 racing class. There will be more skillful driving events this season and I could sure use your help. Let's see what you come up with and I'll help to promote it.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
72 vipers was cool. Very cool. The rest sucked, no offense. I've spoken with others who felt the same. As far as food goes, I'm talking about this "pre-set menu" stuff. Put me in a good restaurant and I'll handle my own bill. I'm Italian, I'm used to excess and not caring about how much it costs - just want good food and a lot of it.

Plan an event? I guess the question is, What is it about the events that make it uneventful? Truthfully, I don't know if I have an answer for that. I just know that many (NOT ALL)of the events ****. I'll have to think about that one.

By the way, why cant we "hook up" with other car clubs. I dont have a problem with other cars or their owners. I just like getting out in mine and whoever wants to join in is welcome. I cruised with Moundir (posts on here with a red GTS) and a guy with a vette last year - just the three of us after a meet at ******* and we had a blast. It was great- videos and everything. We even got into some serious smack talk over whose was faster - it was all in good fun. Mike if you read this, we gotta cruise again - now that your car is a DLM beast I must get a ride.

POIZENUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they could of treated us better but that's Paul and we had no control over that. They did spend a lot of time taking pictures with us.

Whenever we travel in a large group to eat, the restaurant
provides a limited menu so we don't jam up the kitchen.
You can't have 20 or more people (121 at Torches) walk in at the same time and order off a full menu. They just won't
allow it.

Not all events are for everyone. Some guys just want to race and some want to go to car shows and park. Others like to cruise. We try to be as diverse as we can so there is something for everyone.

We have hooked up with the Mid-Hudson Corvette club a few
times and on April 24th will be joining the Ferrari club.
It's already posted on our site. The Lambo club wants to do
something with us as well. So come up with something and we will make it happen!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Well, Well....let see what I can say. I know Joe had some things planned last year that I could not attend. I wanted to do the Tarrytown AX, but couldn't make it. The trip to OCC had great potential. I think it was OCC that screwed us, not Joe. How could they blow us off the way they did? Pics? I could have done without that. But they were quick to take a few grand from us selling shirts.

I know there are some AX plans for this year. I'm not a big drag racing fan. Lets face it, we don't have a great track like Pocono in our back yard, so we depend on the NJ club for that and also Ferrari invites us out. I like Chuck's BBQ, but then I need to get to the gym for that one this year, because someone wants to beat me up. I think I'll bring my friend Harvey.

Watkins sounds good. I'm not really into the dinner outings. I prefer to drive, race, and drive more. Honestly, I can't complain. My days are ******* quite a bit with kids and home duties anyway. But my new gears are in, and with a few more jobs to the car, I should be ready.

Andrew

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Just joined this past year and will be happy to hang with some of the locals.

Giving the 4/24 event a shot.

I hit the hampton track a few times at the end of last year and had some good fun. I was told the track was shutting down this year, in fact it may have already done so. Does any one know about this ?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just like getting in my car and drive till i get tired. problem is i dont have other vipers to cruise with. why cant we just get together on weekends and drive? do we have to go to BBQ's or any specific places just to get together and show our cars off?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Dimitrios. Other than stopping for more gas, maybe some water, I want to drive. I would even do charity things where we give kids rides, or 21 year old girls. Thing is also, the earlier the better. Less cars on the road. Tell you what. Anyone in reach of Westchester, meet me @ 7:00 on any sunny saturday morning at Staples on 119. We'll shoot over 287, over the tap, up to 84, across to 684, back down & home. That's a good 1-1 1/2 hour ride. WE have plenty of highways. Let's use them.

AC

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will go any time any place. my wife an i went to NJ. past wk. end to car aution. got ticket no front plate. we are in Albany NY.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff it's not Drag Racing but how about coming to my BBQ May 1st,04 [rain date 5/2] 11:00am-5:00pm? If you look on page 42 of the 2003 fall issue "Viper Quarterly" you'll see how I kick off the driving season for the NY/CT VCA. The 03 BBQ was the "OFFICIAL" largest gathering of Vipers on the "East Coast" at 88 Snakes!! :cool:

Live music
Good people
Good food [BBQ food Greg]
And over 100 Vipers! :cool:

Other then going to the VOI's you will NOT see this many Snakes in one spot!! There will be Viper club members here from around the Country and Europe, so Jeff be a part of Viper history and come to my BBQ. Send me your address and I'll make sure your on my VIP list.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios, I cruise with Andrew all the time and I can say that we always look for people to join us. I work in Morris Park the Bronx, I'm sure it's not too far from you in queens.

BTW, Chuck's BBQ is a great event and I am always impressed how he never charges AT ALL. (Must cost a fortune) There is tons of food. Chuck, this year the band has to turn the volume down a little, It was hard to converse with people! They were good though.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANTED:
Other Viper enthusiasts with "Grandmotherly" driving tendancies to join me for a tour of Long Island's Best "ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFETS."
No experience necessary. Will train.