Why is the viper so much better looking in person?

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to admit, when I look at the GTS in pictures it just looks OK; and it is considered the best looking of all the viper generations arguably.

Now when I go outside and look at my 2000 ACR, it just looks so much better than almost any car on the road. It just looks completely better. I suppose some could be attributed to my colour (Red) which doesn't look as good in pictures. I also think maybe it has to do with the low and wide stance? In pictures, it really does look dated and doesn't capture that menacing stance. In person it just looks as fresh and exciting as 15 years ago when they debuted (GTS). What factors am I missing? I look at a lot of cars online and even the C6 Z06 and Grand Sports look very good in pictures. I am obviously very very bored right now and decided to make a topic on this:crazy2:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Why is the viper so much better looking in person?"

Because it's yours....! The styling is dated, sure. The car is in your garage and you like just the way it is.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Absolutely Right Terminator, I don't think a picture even comes close to what one looks like in person(JMO). I have seen some Vipers that do look Awesome in pics, but I can only imagine what they would look like in person.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jdeft; Not quite. I am trying to go deeper than that. From an artistic perspective; curved cars photograph better AND age better. However, in person, the Viper GTS just looks ridiculous. In my neighbourhood, there is a retired famous NHL player who drives a red ferrari F430. When both cars are parked next to each other, the viper really stands out much better. My stepfather and I were eating in a suburb of Detroit (Birmingham) at a relatively high class restaurant. An Audi R8 convertible was parked right in front of my ACR. four guys were talking with me about the Viper and ignoring the R8. Granted, I do think the R8 coupe is MUCH better looking than the vert; still my viper was the talk of the two and most can't believe it is a 2000 (and my car is in MUCH need of a good detail). I just don't fully get why it doesn't quite look very good in photos compared to in person. Some cars really do carry that essence in photographs. I have to be honest, I was on the fence with buying until I was looking at it in person. How low and wide the stance is really just instantly captivated me from a buying perspective. Maybe I am alone in this perspective. Just seems to really have a wow factor that does not translate online. I mean I think corvettes look better in photographs than in person and artistically; it should be the opposite since they are angular and the Gen II is curved. Now the Viper gen III rightfully looks worse in pictures due to the angles of the car and looks much better in person. Just can't put my finger on why the gen II looks "good" in pictures when really it's styling should be captured more easily in photos; from everything I know about photography and design...

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perhaps we get a bit jaded after so viewing so many two dimensional pics online. I think the full strength of deep curves can be better appreciated in three dimensions.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the things I notice when I see a bunch of Gen II's side by side in different colors is how the color accentuates the body width and body lines. At a recent NorCal VCA event at Normandin Dodge, the solid yellow GTS looked much wider than any color GTS near it...an optical illusion for sure, but it shows how the eye percieves such things.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For example, I think corvettes are not the most aesthetic cars (talking about the current C6). Now the Corvette Grand Sport looks a bit better. However today I saw a pic of the Centennial edition Grand Sport in Carbon Flash Ebony color and it looks so mean and menacing. Now in peson; I am not sure I would say it would look better than a Gen II Viper. But on the internet; it looks really really good. Maybe it's just too late at night for me:rolaugh:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you, my car doesn't look good at all in pics but in person it looks 100 times better. It is very hard to capture the curves and the stance in a pic.

Here's a good pic of my car. The wheels have a brushed lip now and look much better...

You must be registered for see images

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think when you see Italian exotics in person, they are all kind of "small" cars, so maybe not as "bigger than life" in person? When you see a GTS, its proportions and lines are just unlike anything else you see on the road. Almost like seeing the batmobile in person... almost freakishly "large" looking, depending on the angle, yet very well sculpted and thought out. I think every angle of the GTS has very nice lines and flow...

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 no picture can ever do the Viper any justice even if it's a great picture. And you're right about vettes looking nice in pics but you can have the hottest vette of them all and when ANY viper pulls up next to it at the light the vette instantly vanishes, and that's not just my opinion, well you guys have vipers too so you know what I mean. The viper gets all the attention, gotta be those **** @ss curves and low, aggresive stance...

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The styling is CLASSIC- that is why- When you see a Ferrari 250 GTO- An AC Cobra- Lambo Miura-
all those are classic styling cars- never dated- never out of style-

All those cars will turn heads 20 years from now- as they do today- as the GTS does-
To me the Viper GTS is in that class- I call mine the "American Ferrari GTO"
I think that best describes the GTS..

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After obsessing over Vipers by their ad photos, I thought I had my preferences pretty well sorted out. Garish SSG and black wasn't anywhere on my list.

After seeing the car in person, it just blew me away. I agree; there's something different about our perception of the car when we can experience its presence.

Rich

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think when you see Italian exotics in person, they are all kind of "small" cars, so maybe not as "bigger than life" in person? When you see a GTS, its proportions and lines are just unlike anything else you see on the road. Almost like seeing the batmobile in person... almost freakishly "large" looking, depending on the angle, yet very well sculpted and thought out. I think every angle of the GTS has very nice lines and flow...

Very good explanation. I think, if I re-read my initial post, I was TRYING to articulate what you just said; you just did it very well. Explains why the other cars look so good in pics. Yes the pictures really do not accentuate just HOW out-of-proportion the lines and curves are. I don't know about the rest of you, but people are shocked at what I paid for the car and people seem chomping at the bits in person to buy one. I am not planning on selling my car, knocking on internet wood, but if I did, I don't think I would go online but rather do a lot of self advertisement.

edit: Which would also explain why a lot of other vehicles look so good online; because there really are no "must see in person" curves and angles that cannot be captured with a camera; like that referenced Vette (which does look outstanding I must say). In person, what you see is what you get. I think that is one reason you have to see the gen II RT/10s in person before really putting a judgement on how they look. Obviously it doesn't flow like the GTS. The tops do make the car look dated and "not flow." However in person, if anything, the car has a lower and wider appearing stance that makes the curves shout "Extreme" even more. Though I am biased and will prefer the GTS over the RT/10, I can see how it can be even more wide, low and menacing than the GTS in person. In pics.....no picture or angle can do that car justice. The Gen III/IV tend to have a similar problem as well.

Well I must say interesting thread based on the responses; I am not alone. Maybe now we need to put up some pictures of the best angles, views, shots we have to really spice it up:)

Last edited:

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean with regard to GTS pictures. After having spent countless hours admiring my GTS, I think it has to do with your ability to totally see the car. In a photo, you can basically see all of the car at once, shrunk down and presented to you from some photographic perspective. In person, it is hard to take in all of the beautiful curves and organic sculpting involved in the car's design. The GTS has never been known for its precise fit and finish, but due to the way the design soaks up all of that. It flows, looks alive and cohesive, and just--perfect. I think that might be why its so hard to improve the Viper's look. Less tends to be more with this one, though some of the upgraded machines on this forum are quite sinister and well prepared. My favorite car ever, past, present and maybe even future?

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and just the fact that seeing a Viper driving down the road is even more rare than a real sasquatch sighting makes it that much more special :)

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After obsessing over Vipers by their ad photos, I thought I had my preferences pretty well sorted out. Garish SSG and black wasn't anywhere on my list.

After seeing the car in person, it just blew me away. I agree; there's something different about our perception of the car when we can experience its presence.

Rich

Dear Rich,

I couldn't agree more....some of the Viper colors in a brochure/photo/online video/even tv just don't have the visual POP! that they do when you see them in person. I think SnakeSkin Green is a huge risk if I looked at a swatch in a brochure, but when you see it....it fits so well it makes me question "how could I not figure that it would look this good".

The Anaconda Green is similar, however you need even more direct sunlight and changing light angles to appreciate the way it shapes the body lines.

At the Normandin BBQ there was a Gen II lowered an inch at all 4 corners and even that subtle move changed the lines completely....more aggressive, more in your face, more "there's no way I'd buy a Prius!".

I know the Gen V coming has many cues from the Gen II and I think its going to be a huge hit!! I wonder what colors it will start with? (I'd like to see the '01 Sapphire Blue back)

Regards,
Aaron

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the Texas Mile race in March of 2011 and saw nothing but Ford GT's and Lambos and SRT-10's all weekend long. On Sunday, a Blue/White GTS Drove up and I nearly wet my pants because it just looked sooo good! The shape and lines of the GTS are second to none!

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was at the Texas Mile race in March of 2011 and saw nothing but Ford GT's and Lambos and SRT-10's all weekend long. On Sunday, a Blue/White GTS Drove up and I nearly wet my pants because it just looked sooo good! The shape and lines of the GTS are second to none!

Yes. I think a large reason is that huge clamshell hood that closes to create that huge curve (complimented by the curve of the door); none of which makes any financial sense to create..which is why I don't think a modern production car will be able to match the essence of the gen II (especially GTS). It is interesting that the 2006+ coupes tried very hard to re-create that essence but it was just too difficult given the current design. It will be interesting to see when the Gen V releases but I just think it's very difficult when the Viper was originally designed to "not make sense." When it pulls up you can clearly see it is a hand crafted rolling, breathing work of art. Time has been very good to the Viper. Can't wait to see what is in store (and I will only be able to look in awe as it will be well outside my grasp lol)

stryfe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy took a video of me driving off in my '00 GTS ACR after I bought it and one of my wife's friends actually asked her if we had bought "the Batmobile" after she saw the video. You don't see Vipers in person very often as a regular joe and so I think that adds to the sensory impact.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the flow of the hood and rear glass plus photos flatten the curves. The best look is standing back 3 feet looking over the car at at any corner which is typical in person but rarely photographed.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good picture will make the GTS look menacing and every bit as good if not better than seeing it in person. The thing is, a lot of people take horrible pictures of their cars. One thing that you have to watch out for with the Gen I and II cars is getting close and using a super wide lense. That will work in a few rare instances but for the most part it makes the curves of the viper look bloated, like it is retaining water or something. I don't know why people seem to think that close and wide is the way to go but it usually isn't. Getting far back with a really long lense at an angle to make the fenders prominent typically makes the vipers look really menacing. So the short answer is, the cars can look amazing if someone knows what they are doing, but that typically isn't the case.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And red doesn't seem to photograph too well unless REALLY REALLY wet. I have red so I can get away with saying that, owners of other cars with different colors....don't you dare:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235