Why no coupe?

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody knows why DC chose to only produce a convertible for the new Viper? As I browse these boards, it seems like there are way more GTS owners than RT/10 owners. Is it just that GTS owners tend to participate more on sites like these, or are there really more GTS owners out there? It just seems like the overwhelming consensus is that everyone wants a Gen III couple to be available, preferably one that looks as aggressive as the Competition Coupe
smile.gif
So what's the deal?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Dodge will make only Convertables for a couple years, then unleash an even higher performing Coupe to further distance itself from competitors who will be closing in on the performance level of the SRT-10.
Then they will easily sell out this SUPER COUPE. and finally make everyone happy.
WIth limited resourses it makes sense to start out with a Convertable, then after learning more about it's new engine and chassis release the Coupe.
Then watch out for a LeMans ruling coupe based world class race car.
bounce.gif

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baron,

I hate to break this to ya, but this topic has been BEAT TO DEATH, numerous times. I mean, I agree with you completely, but try a search and you'll see tons of threads concerning this.

No Flame Intended, Just An Observation.
smile.gif

Clint

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting observation regarding auto. engineering, there's a great book called "All CORVETTES ARE RED" that is the inside story of the development of the C5 Corvette. GM let a writer inside for 5 years to observe and photo all aspects, they were eventually very unhappy with the book as he told ALL regarding corp. politics, etc. Anyway, one interesting fact is that C5 was originally designed as a convertible for the ultimate rigidity tests etc. In other words, if the car tested and developed well as a convertible everything would fall into place with even more solidity for a coupe. But, they introduced the coupe FIRST, in 1997 and waited a year for the convertible in 1998. Here's my big point. From a marketing perspective with a two model car, you introduce the weaker one first, you still get the big "bump" in sales from the new body style, SRT IS SOLD OUT, increase the demand for the more popular model In our case the coupe, in the C5 case the convertible until you need the next "bump" in a later year. I think the SRT was developed the same way, do the convertible, make sure this all works when there is no top, only difference is they are releasing the convertible FIRST. For the above reasons or for other market driven reasons..they want a piece of the xk8, merc500sl, etc. market. We'll get our coupe, gonna have to be patient though.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is called great business and marketing strategy.
rolleyes.gif
You do not roll out what everyone wants the first go around. This way you possibly will get the same owner to buy the convertible and then down the road upgrade to the Coupe. This way they get two sales from one person instead of one sale if the coupe came out at the same time.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem with this though is that PVO needs good sales before they can build the Coupe.

So if the SRT doesn't sell as well as they'd hoped, we won't see the "sure fire" winner that the coupe would be.

In my mind, that's not good marketting strategy.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the SRT is sold out, but how many of those cars are going to be re-sold for a profit?

And from everything PVO has been saying, I have it the right way.

PVO needs to make a reasonable profit or else there won't be an SRT Coupe. Lemme find the exact quotes...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang