Wider Front Tires on an 08- Need Advice

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a driving event today and it seems like my 2008 Viper Coupe plows or understeers fairly severally. Its got the stock 275s (PS2) on the front. Do you think 295s or even 305s would help the situation? What are your thoughts, pluses and minuses?

Thanks,

Flash

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used 305s before on front end. Solved the pushing situation. Got some rubbing at full lock. Good for the track, but not so good on the street due to rubbing.

If you have a gen 1 or 2 be careful to have your wheels straight before opening or closing the hood as your very expensive hood can be cracked by hitting the larger tires.

If you go to 305s you will need wider rims to put all the tire down on the road without crowning.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing that your situation will be better and more cheaply solved by getting a more aggressive/track alignment. But your tire life/longevity and wear patterns will suffer as a result. Most factory alignments will understeer as the consensus(manufactures think) is that this is a more controlable situation for the majority of drivers.

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh. It was definitely not a matter of alignment. With all the HP and the huge tires in the rear, there just wasnt enough rubber in the front. Im going to go with some 295s and give that a try next.

Flash

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
going to a different tire for the track events will make a big improvement, even in stock size

Reaction score
A push can be "created", and an alignment along with technique can make the stock size tires work very well. When is the car pushing? slow exit, fast entry?... If you want to leave everything alone and just change the tires the 305 will take care of most of it. It will need an alignment change to optimize the contact patch with the stock rim.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We had a driving event today and it seems like my 2008 Viper Coupe plows or understeers fairly severally. Its got the stock 275s (PS2) on the front. Do you think 295s or even 305s would help the situation? What are your thoughts, pluses and minuses?

Hey Flash1034,

I was the all blue '08 that was at the SoCal Car Control event. A set of 295mm rubber will definitely help raise the bar on your car. You will be able to go a little faster, but ultimately, you will plow. More rubber on the gound will definately help. The 305 would be fine, if you don't lower your car, but if you like it a little lowered (as I do) then the 295mm would be your best setup, to preclude any rubbing.

I have the 295 Cups up front on my car, and at Viper Days Spring Mountain last week, I was doing plenty of plowing around Turn 9R, so the added rubber isn't a fix-all; although it helped.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

The 295's will help a bit up front and will fit on your stock front rims. 305's will handle better but a bit wide for the street (sand blasting your sills) and should be run on an 11 inch rim.

Adjustable suspension like Motons can be set up to help too.

I run 305's or 315's x 30 x 18 on the front at the track, depending upon tire availability of the manufacturer and 335 x 30 x 18 on the back.

The factory set up can be made to handle better with a more aggressive alignment.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960