Will car pass emissions without Cats?

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car Im possibly getting has a borla exhaust (old type) no cats? I am in Ontario,Canada.I posted here because I need a fast reply.I am buying VIPERCANE'S 2000 RT (Bindy's car in Fla.) next week if I get apporoved and I think he has no cats on his. thanks in advance! Ontario or Canadian posters if possible as laws might be different in the US?:dunno:

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does your inspection involve a sniffer or a hook up to the OBD II?

I'll repeat what I've been told, some of this came from a tuner and some from a Viper Tech. I don't know squat about cars but perhaps one of the gear heads around here will confirm or correct as needed.

If sniffer - maybe, maybe not, depends on the tune

In Virgnina and Florida they use OBD II, I don't know about other states but suspect it is the same.

If the OBD II is OEM - There should be a sensor at the cats feeding data to the OBD. If the cats were removed and nothing done to replace or spoof the sensor, the OBD will red light on that data point and you'll fail.

If an after market ECM is installed, like what Hennessey or Heffner would use in a typical TT installation, the OBD will be fed all green lights regardless of whether or not an actual sensor is being read or not. Then you pass no matter what the engine is doing.

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Ontario, they put a sniffer in the exhaust and hook up to the car's electronic system. Pretty sure you will have to add cats. Ron.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think the car will pass, as it puts out 3 times as much polution as limits allow even on Idle. But hay! Who knows? It coulh have been just my car.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to give a Canadian lawyer friend who knows something about customs/EPA issues a call and see if is lawful to import a car into Canada without cats, that originally came with OEM cats, for on road use. It is illegal in the U.S. to remove the cats from a vehicle that is going to be used on the road. You should check to see whther it is lawful to use a car with no cats, that originally had OEM cats, on the road in Canada. It would be an unpleasant experience if you brought the car in for inspection and ended up with a big fine or worse.

Another idea is to go online and see if there is a Canadian "Department of Motor Vehicles" site which has FAQ's which include data on this subject. You also might Google the subject. There must be data about it online. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo