Will I like the Sound???

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
O.K., I had the rear (Stratus issue) muffler yanked and 2.5" straight pipes installed with cannon sized 4" double walled tips. The work was top notch by Mark and the guys at Performance Muffler here in Vegas.

Sound is a little better, louder and with more rasp and pop than stock. Still not enough to sound like 450 horses and to scare the kids with their noses up against the glass of the minivans in traffic. :eek:

I'm going to do Roe's high-flow cats and maybe yank the sill resonators as well while keeping the 2.5" stock pipe diameter setup I have already added to. Has anyone done or heard this particular "ghetto" mod and what will it sound like? Any sound bytes available would be appreciated.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the RT X-pipe muffler delete and gonna do the same to the cats and resonators in the winter...im hoping for some more sound too.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the RandomTech muffler delete x-pipe last weekend. I placed an internet order for it from JonB (PartsRack) the evening before I went on a 7-day 4x4 trip to Moab. I screwed up and gave Jon the wrong exp. date on my credit card. Even though I had never done business with PartRack before Jon shippied the pipe anyway. Wow! Thanks Jon!

In order to attach it to my stock exhaust I had to saw off part of the x-pipe in order to allow for a 3"->2.25" reducer. No big deal, great quality pipe and love the 4" stainless tips.

Sound in my opinion is much more aggressive especially the burrble when you let off the gas. I like it alot and am glad I did the delete. Drone increased but is easly removed by shifting into a higher gear.

This drone is coming from the back area of the cabin. I am going to have a piece of glass cut to fill the void between the rear shock pillars in the hope of cutting down the drone a little bit. I will post my findings, but if someone has done it already I would like to know how it went.

This winter I plan to remove the stock exhaust from the headers back to the X-pipe and replace it with a 3" pipe. Has anyone tried this setup and do they have a problem with fire coming out of the exhaust? As far as I can see the only thing I will need to do is to add the 3" pipe and cat sims.

--------------
'01 YELLOW GTS
Momo RS2 GT Racing seats (red/yellow), Momo Shifter, Sabelt harnesses, Random Tech x-pipe, S & B filters w/RR smooth tubes, full sized spare, alum. pedals

OP
OP

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have decided to yank the cats altogether, and intall cat sims after getting my emissions test done. I will probably have them use clamps in case I need the cats for next year's registration. I am debating still on whether to keep the stock resonators or not. May end up being too raw for even my taste.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The muffler change won't make much difference. It's all in the cats and resonators in the sills. Night and day loudness. I took the muffler off and was ready to shut it right back down for fear of waking the neighbors. Couldn't tell much difference even with nothing back there. I then removed the resonators.....WOW. I couldn't stand behind it without blocking my ears. If the noise is too much, just try different mufflers in the back. You can tune it to sound like you want. Tons of answers with a search on this site.