Will Stock GTS Coil Overs work on a GEN 1?

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, since I can't get eibach springs for my GEN 1, will the GEN 2 GTS shocks work on a GEN 1 without modification? I have some in my sights, but wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger.

OP
OP
R

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, I tried JonB at Parts Rack. He's the one that informed me that they are discontinued. I'm getting mixed answers on whether the Gen2 shocks work. Some say they do and some say they don't. What's the actual difference besides the diameter of the springs? Are the forks different also. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, this helps out somewhat. If this statement is true about the fronts being an inch shorter, will it lower my car an inch in the front? Or, the brackets totally different? I have a set of Gen2 shocks coming this week, so I'll do some testing. Thanks for the help.
No they are not the same. The Gen 2 fronts are an inch shorter due to a different bracket on the Gen 2 lower a-arm. The Gen 2 rears have a lower fork that straddles the half shaft, while the Gen 1 rears attach with a normal bushing and bolt ahead of the half shaft. And they're a different part number and different color...
Hope this can help you.

OP
OP
R

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the Gen2 shocks/springs in today. I found a place on the internet last week that showed Eibach springs in stock for the Gen1's and I ordered them. Haven't heard a word from them yet. I also got the spring caps for the Gen1 springs. My plan (hoping)is to install Eibach's and the spring caps on my current shocks. The Gen2 setup is for plan B. I'll keep ya'll updated. :2tu:

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got Eibach's on mine, and I really don't think you'd want to go with both springs and lowering caps. Mine pretty much scrapes over everything right now, and I consider my front fascia sacrificial. With the spring caps, I'd doubt that you would have more than 2-2.5" of ground clearance...