Wimpy Horn Update

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd researched threads here about updating the very mild-mannered horn in my 2000GTS. No, I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I don't want people looking around for the minivan that made the noise.

After reading some threads, I got the 'Compact Italian Air Horn' from Griots and THEN inspected the 'ease' of installation. (Yes, I did that out of order, like many things in my life.)

I believe the GEN 1 cars were known to require the bumper/fascia removal, but GEN 2, not. I thought that was good news...

My 2000 GTS horn is inside the bumper cover. I see no way to get to the horn without removing the bumper. Anyone out there with the voice of experience on this one?

Can I extract the horn wire(s) out of the loom BEFORE they enter the bumper zone, then reroute to a more accessible place?

Looking for help. Thanks in advance.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The horn on my '01 GTS is in the driver side lower control arm. I assume the wires are on the frame rail somewhere.

My plan when I have time is to install a pair of Hella's inside the fascia, so I'll be doing the oppposite of what you are.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The horn on my '01 GTS is in the driver side lower control arm. I assume the wires are on the frame rail somewhere.

My plan when I have time is to install a pair of Hella's inside the fascia, so I'll be doing the oppposite of what you are.

You're going to force me to remove the fascia, aren't you!?!? :)

When I craned my head around every available nook to make SURE I could avoid it (unsuccessfully) I did notice a rather filthy collection of sand, leaves, pebbles, bug wings, etc etc. My slighly anal nature made me consider the fascia removal for this chore as well. Then I noticed the scratces on the underside and got one step closer to justification.

As a side note Dave, the horn I bought is a single unit with twin tones, only about 4.5" x 5" total. It is NOT driven by a separate air pump, which is a very good thing.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gotcha. Hellas are of course the Porsche supplier, and a GREAT horn in that German "I'm kinda ********** at you for breathing" type tone.

I went with these below, which Griot says is "Italian" so I'll assume they're Fiamm. My GUESS is a higher pitch, which is what I'm looking for.

Compact Italian Air Horns - Exterior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage

Off comes the fascia I guess. What else to do once in there?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my. The little air horns come in RED. :love:

Clean your coolant bottle out if it is yucky and check the condition of the hose whilst the fascia is off. Good time to put the Roe duct in too...

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an air horn in my older car (hella). I wasn't happy with the volume. I don't think you will be either. I'd go for the train horn too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX