Window Clip Removal for SRT door panels

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have searched for quite a while and was wondering if there is any additional information perhaps I am missing somewhere. I have gotten everything off or loose on the doors and I am ready to remove the panel but those clips that everyone refers to are a *****. This panel does not just lift off. Before I yank UP on it and break something, does anybody have a picture of the inside of the panel with it off the door so I can see the clips location so I know how to compress them. Or any good tools recommended to compress the clips in advance. Your help is appreciated.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here is the best picture I could find. These clips are very strong and you want to reach up between the door and the panel and pry up directly on the clip with a trim panel tool or the like. If you pull up on the door panel you will split the very flimsy plastic trim piece at the top of the door panel. Hope this helps.

viper_door_panel.JPG

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff using that picture take a flat blade screwdriver on the inside of the panel and push the clip it to release it. Do the rear one first. Take your time. If you pull it up with out releasing the clips you'll break the plastic trim on top of the panel. Mike

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking though the 05 Service Manual I have on CD and this is the tool they recommended for the top of the door panel. Didn't give specs on the blade type though:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry couldn't resist becuase I have been there and It's frustrating as hell.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff using that picture take a flat blade screwdriver on the inside of the panel and push the clip it to release it. Do the rear one first. Take your time. If you pull it up with out releasing the clips you'll break the plastic trim on top of the panel. Mike

Thank you for the information. I was only able to see one tab with the panel mostly loosened. WIth that said, I did a very stable lift off and somehow got it off without breaking anything (Aside from my finger...almost).

Here is the best picture I could find. These clips are very strong and you want to reach up between the door and the panel and pry up directly on the clip with a trim panel tool or the like. If you pull up on the door panel you will split the very flimsy plastic trim piece at the top of the door panel. Hope this helps.

viper_door_panel.JPG

Thank you. This is very helpful for not only me but others who are trying to remove the panel in the future. Cheers.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really need one of these to get the job done riht!

I was looking though the 05 Service Manual I have on CD and this is the tool they recommended for the top of the door panel. Didn't give specs on the blade type though:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry couldn't resist becuase I have been there and It's frustrating as hell.

Yup these are the images that those of us that have removed door panels get when we reach that last and final moment before we either tear it off or go for the above tools! Good one Newport!!:2tu:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Those above devices are good, but no where near as satisfying as this - the BFH. Always works as a last resort and it is available in Viper Red:

BFH.JPG

vipergreg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. After reading all the posts regarding this issue, I am still confused. I see that the clips are a part of the door and the panel slides onto the clip. How do I release the clip to allow this? From the bottom of the door, the top, the side? Not sure here but I do not want to crack anything. The car is a convertible SRT-10. Thanks in advance.

VG

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all. After reading all the posts regarding this issue, I am still confused. I see that the clips are a part of the door and the panel slides onto the clip. How do I release the clip to allow this? From the bottom of the door, the top, the side? Not sure here but I do not want to crack anything. The car is a convertible SRT-10. Thanks in advance.

VG

I Just pulled both door panels without hurting anything.

The pic in the above posts will show you were the clips are located.

I removed all of the fasteners that hold the door panel on.

Then lied on my back and reached up behind the panel and door and
released the clips while carefully pushing upward.

Door Panel then came off easily.

Hope this helps~

vipergreg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have contributed to this issue. I removed the panel buy lowering the window, finding the clips as seen in the above image, and pushing the clip inwards using a flat old screwdriver that I bent to resemble a "L". The trim is pretty thin and if you take your time finding the clip without forcing anything, the door panel comes off easily. I started with the one closest to the rear tire. Here are some images for those who may need help in the future.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

vipergreg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way...the door panel needed to come off. The window regulator is making a ticking sound as I lower it. Not raise it. The problem? Probably a faulty regulator. The other problem? The car has 600 miles on it.

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way...the door panel needed to come off. The window regulator is making a ticking sound as I lower it. Not raise it. The problem? Probably a faulty regulator. The other problem? The car has 600 miles on it.

Much fun eh ?

I am in the process of replacing my drivers side regulator and
was curious to the condition of the passenger side unit.
It doesn't make any noises and works perfectly. Took
the door panel off and yes... it's separating at the elbow
just like the drivers side has done. :(
These regulators are pure junk.
Car has 5K miles on it.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then lied on my back and reached up behind the panel and door and
released the clips while carefully pushing upward
YES!! That's the way to do it. Just removed mine the other day as well. All this talk about putting a screw driver up there is impossible. Just reach up and push the clip in with your thumb. Works great.

If you break that thing your in for a nightmare.

vipergreg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say so. Glendora Dodge (Viper) told me he hasn't heard of those going bad. My GTS passenger was replaced also when I had it. Good luck fellas-

Much fun eh ?

I am in the process of replacing my drivers side regulator and
was curious to the condition of the passenger side unit.
It doesn't make any noises and works perfectly. Took
the door panel off and yes... it's separating at the elbow
just like the drivers side has done. :(
These regulators are pure junk.
Car has 5K miles on it.

Gun it

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just removed my passenger side door panel on Gen 3. Thanks for the help.
The clips cannot be seen with the panel still hanging on the door. I used a dental mirror to locate the rearmost clip. The good news is that the top clips are finger tip actuated. Not designed for a tool.
How you access is from the rear end of door not from the bottom. For Pass. door get on your knees and run your left arm into back end of door...you know, like when you have to rotate a baby calf... and find the seam where the panel hangs on the door. Run your fingers along the seam until you come to a disruption. This is where the clip is located. Then move your fingertip slightly south (down) and you will find a smooth metal protrustion. Simply press laterally toward the outside of door and the clip releases easily. BEWARE and do not move it much. The top T-strip is like tissue paper.
Now, for the second, forward mounted clip, stay in exactly the same position...the calf should be ready by now...and run your fingers further along the seam toward the door hinge direction and you will find it same way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang