Windshild appears grainy!!??

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windshield on my 97 GTS appears grainy when looking through it in direct sunlight.(looks like specs of sand-but don't come off) Is this normal? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

P.S. I seem to recall a similar issue with the windshield on my 94 RT?!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you done any track events? Same problem here. When the car was new.....windsheild clear as glass.....no pun intended. Now I feel like I am looking out through frosted glass. I've done many track events and many guys tell me that especially at Pocono.......there is alot of dirt flying around that track that will do that to the windsheild. Even a friend who came with me to Pocono with his Vette (who I beat) noticed the same problem once we got home. I'm just wating till it gets real bad and then I'm sure a big chip will happen that will warrant a total glass insurance claim. BTW, I use a front bra on the car and that has protected the paint. I also use lots of tape, but can't tape up the windsheild.

Andrew

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been on a track only twice. The problem was visible before it was ever on a track!! Looks like sand particles are actually in the glass!?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, If you find a reasonable local replacement source, let me know as I have the same problem on my 97.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You KNEW I'd just have to chime in on this one, didn't you. I thought I had gone over this many times, but for those who haven't already been bored to the point of extended crying, I'll do it again. My aplogies to those of you who have heard me say this. Dust, dirt, and junk in the air and on the highways creates a PITTED windshield in time. Unless all your driving is limited to city side streets, you probably have some rash in your windshield. Yes, it looks like "sand". Yes, it can happen on the racetrack in one outing, or over a period of years on the street, it just depends on your locale. NO, you can't "buff it out". It is most noticeable when facing the sun, obviously.
The only fix is a new piece of glass, and your insurance company will normally NOT replace it for just that. If there is a substantial "crack" in it, they will. It's that simple. We would all love to have a perfectly clear and new windshield every time we drive, but it just isn't possible. My advice: DRIVE THE CAR and enjoy it. You never know when your windshield might get broken and then you can have your ins. co. pay for one and be done with it. GET THAT FULL GLASS COVERAGE! pete the ex glass installer