Won't idle...

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always just turned the key and it fires right up. Now, turn the key and the engine just turns over and over. If I press the pedal and turn the key, it fires up. Take my foot off, it dies.

Any suggestions?

Sneaky C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lost Fuel Pressure maybe? Just guessing here??

Something similar has happened to me twice while my fuel guage read close to empty. I cranked it up and stayed on the gas for a min or so at around 1000rpm's and it seemed to have cured itself. I then proceed on to the gas station and filled up and have yet to have another issue.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If that's not it, be sure battery is good. Also, try to cycle key on for 3-4 seconds for three times, thus allowing time for fuel pump to build pressure, then hit start...if that works, fuel pressure is leaking down.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IAC motor/system.

+1 on IAC. Pushing your foot down to get it to start won't increase fuel like it used to in a car with a carb where there was an accelerator pump. The fuel pump should prime for 3 secs when the key is first turned on. This pressurizes the fuel rail and allows the car to start. A check valve in the pump should keep pressure in the rails for some time after car is turned off. It will eventually bleed down though. If the pump is not priming or the pressure leaks down too fast I don't think pushing your foot down prior to starting will help.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on IAC. Pushing your foot down to get it to start won't increase fuel like it used to in a car with a carb where there was an accelerator pump. The fuel pump should prime for 3 secs when the key is first turned on. This pressurizes the fuel rail and allows the car to start. A check valve in the pump should keep pressure in the rails for some time after car is turned off. It will eventually bleed down though. If the pump is not priming or the pressure leaks down too fast I don't think pushing your foot down prior to starting will help.

Yes, all correct except the pump run time is about 1 sec. Takes about 6 sec to refill an empty fuel line.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'M going with a bad battery.If battery voltage gets low it clears the memory in the pcm and it will take several minutes of run time for the AIS to relearn.You can hold you foot on the gas keeping the rpms around 1000 for a minute or so then slowly take you foot off the gas and the ais will take over and run .

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...If battery voltage gets low it clears the memory in the pcm and it will take several minutes of run time for the AIS to relearn.You can hold you foot on the gas keeping the rpms around 1000 for a minute or so then slowly take you foot off the gas and the ais will take over and run .

This worked. Thanks.

My battery is only a 1.5 years old, but I haven't driven the car in a month or so. So the battery was weak while cranking. Put it on a slow charger. Started it with a little pedal and held it for a couple of min's. Had to let off the pedal really slow cause it still wanted to get really low on the idle rpm's. But it eventually worked itself out and after driving around this weekend, all is back to normal.