Woodhouse Racing School - Recap !!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The tenth year of going to a racing school turned out to be the very best with Viper drivers from Switzerland and Canada joining our group , along with folks from Texas, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri.

You have over the years seen many recommendations about various schools, many from us, but the consensus was unanimous that this is the absolute best school, best facility, and best instructors any of us have ever had. With rumors of over 100 million being spent on the Miller Motorsports Park, there is no road course facility in the US that can rival it. The track designer, Alan Wilson ( arguably the premier track designer in the World ) spoke to us and he actually modeled the entire course to be Viper specific. Safe for what he considers one of the most remarkable and wickedly fast road course cars on the Planet. He even said we could quote him on that, as he has mentioned it to many others before who are not Snakecharmers!

The cars, at around 3400 lbs and 350 hp , were similar in driving techniques to the Viper, in that the torque was sufficient that most of the shifting was just third to fourth and back down. Most folks who have gone to Viper Days, find the massive torque of the Snake is conducive to alot less shifting than many other cars, and frankly the Mustang GTs with all the Ford Racing Performance upgrades will translate well to techniques one will use when they take their Viper to the track. Though many were almost a year old, the vehicles all looked like they just came off the showroom --- the best prepped race vehicles we have ever seen at a school. The major key was that not one vehicle was ever down for a mechanical issue in the three days we were on the track ----this has never happened in all the 10 years we have done this, as we have always had an issue even in the smallest attended groups.

With a facility that included TVs in the garages, restrooms also, we never had to be in the cold or rain and the state of developement here is just unbelievable. The track is so well drained and the type of asphalt is so consistent that even in the rain I was doing 130+ mph down the front straight of the long course ( at 4.5 miles the longest in the US ).

Day one saw us running the East Course which is very techical and could be descibed as a tricky , high speed autocross design, that lent itself to quick ,yet precise steering movements in portions of the track, and very definite braking and apex points to get the most out of the car --discipline was the key.

Tuesday we ran the West side and it had the flow of a more typical track, with three very sutle areas that done correctly immediately allowed you to sneak up on the car ahead. What blew us away was that two 90mph turns could be run at 85mph in the rain - BFG KDWs are remarkable in the rain, and the track has the best drainage of any I have ever run.

On the last day we had .....................SNOW..........but Danny McKeever ( school mgr ) had the course power brooms out clearing the tarmack, and by 1 pm we were on the track. We ran with shorter breaks and got the same amount of track time as the previous days, and with the warm air the snow and rain never accumulated on the surface again ( they had around 6 inches in the area ). The full course with 23 turns is a concentration on studied moves with four very fast ( for racing school vehicles ) areas ranging from 100 to 130 mph. Satisfying as all get out, as many tracks seem to keep the top speed well under 100 even at the quickest point.With abundant runoff, it would be very, very difficult to have an incident anywhere at this facility.

We are very, very serious about going back next year, since we can't imagine a better place or one more professionally run. After our tour of the museum ( one of the 6 Daytona Coupes ever built is inside ), the clubhouse, Track Store, etc. we all came away convinced this was the place to send our friends. For more info check out the site for the course/courses at www.millermotorsportspark.com and I also listed Danny McKeever's phone number and email below.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper
Blair, Ne.

Danny McKeever - School Mgr
[email protected]
435-277-8791

PS - the other coup was we had the fabulous Cindi Lux and Brian Smith ( two top-flight Pro Viper drivers as two of our instructors ). Jochen Tartack and James Burke were the other instructors and though not known like the other two, we found them to be equally sincere, considerate and damn fine teachers. The group flat told them all that we had never had such a professional , fun group of driving coaches!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, Wilhelm!

I bet Hansruedi was there? I will talk to him soon and I would LOVE to do it ...

2008? When? I would like to mark my calendar ;-)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds great.

Seems like that course might be able to host an F1 or Indy race.

I'd love to see that course someday.

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I believe when you talk to Hans Ruedi he will let you know that he wanted to get an even larger group from the Swiss VCA Club to come, as he had a great time------he is pretty darn fast in the rain ( and snow ) too!! I am hoping we can get a few more folks from Canada, Europe and even Japan and make this an even more International gathering. Ask Hans about Sammy ( his son ) joining Bob Woodhouse's famous 360 Club. Great young man and now he has some added noteriety, hehe.

Bill P

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery