Wow! First look at SRT in person

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some friends and I went over to Elite Motorsports during lunch here in Austin and I finally saw two SRT's in person, one red, one silver.

The good news... It looks like a real nice sports car, better than most.

The bad news... It's not a viper any more. What were they thinking when they designed this car? Neither of my two friends or the owner of the shop are impresed by them either. One of my friends flatly said "I just don't like it, I like the corvette better and I don't like them either". He loves the GTS however and really likes my RT/10.

The good news... DC has given me more reason to hang on to my RT/10 as they will no doubt be highly sought after collector cars in 20 years or so.

I'm very happy to hear that the performance of the SRT has improved upon the gen I and II cars and I definately like the interior of the SRT more as well.

As an artist who is very aware of lines, shapes and all things pleasing to the eye, I can only wonder and scratch my head at what happened and how the plans went from sketch to illustration to final drawings to production. I'm clearly disapointed, only because of expectations. If this was the first viper, it would be a great car. But because it follows a great car, it is only a nice car.

To me, it's about like a corvette. They are good looking cars depending on the color, like the SRT, but they don't really do that much for me. Now, take a c5r or the competition coupe and they are GREAT looking cars.

There may still be gawk factor for the new viper but it will most likely be "Oh my goodness, THAT's the new viper, wow... look at it, that doesn't look near as good as the old viper... oh but it still looks pretty good I suppose...neat"

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Saw a red one a couple of weeks ago at a small parking lot car show and there were few lookers. I looked for about two minutes "yawn" and moved on to 57 Chevys. Performance is a major leap but styling went south. In ten years nobody will be talking about the 03 SRT styling, not so for the RT/10 and GTS.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know that feeling you get when you look at the GenII from the back or 3/4 view.....The SRT aint got it....The Gen II's are emotion on wheels....Especially the GTS in Blue/White...

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to diagree and time keep reafirming this belief, I love my SRT style and performance is well above my previous RT's('01 yellow, '02 graphite). For more fuel on the fire I dont like the style of the gen 2(M2) miatas, the earlier cars were much more classic sports car, so i will keep my '91(170 rwhp and 2,200 lbs.)

OP
OP
C

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SylvanSRT

I agree with you, the gen I miata definately has a more classic sports car feel and I prefer that over the gen II (my car). However, my gen 2 miata with 17" wheels in silver with tan top and tan leather and nardi components is much better looking while being much more comfortable than a gen I miata and still handles as well, perhaps better. (had one of them too, M edition).

Now, back to Vipers! You're one of the very few that think the Gen III viper is actually BETTER looking than a gen I or II. But that's why there are menus when you go to the restaurant! You order liver (some people love it) and I order filet mignon and Lobster (most people love it!)

:) btw, you have two very nice cars! Congrats!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just poking some fun. My miata only looks stock, the whole suspension is done along w/ all chassis braces. The brakes uprated to the '95-97 model yr(bigger brakes on a lighter car) the engine work i dont know where to start and didnt know when to stop. the only thing that looks not stock is the roll bar(real scca legal) panasports, and super low stance. I go out to local track and driver ed. days and keep up or beat 911's, M3's, s2000's, and others. As you say back to vipers. The style of the new car(which i did not like at first) has really become very **** to me. I get many many people say that they like the the SRT better, people that have seen my other cars also(RT-10's). so thats how i feel about the style, the performance speaks for itself.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're one of the very few that think the Gen III viper is actually BETTER looking than a gen I or II.

Don't be so sure. I will agree 100% that the GTS is a spectacular looking car, especially in black/silver or blue/white. I would also say that it is a more classic design that will go down in history as more recognizable than the Gen III. Likewise, the '70's Vettes are a style all their own which will always be instantly identifiable, whereas the C5 isn't quite so unique.

However, as I have been driving this SRT around since January and many people around here know me from my GTS, I can tell you without reservation that there are a number of people that like it better. Maybe they aren't "car guys" like you and I - people that truly appreciate the classic lines of a true sports car. That might be evidenced in that many, many of the females think it is MUCH better looking than my GTS. A surprising number of males also say they favor the SRT looks, although again, they may not be as "car-centric" as many of us. Up in Iowa, the SRT was drawing a crowd second only to the open hood of the GTS with the color matching (yellow) engine and supercharger. I took this shot while there was a break in the action (no crowds for any car):

You must be registered for see images

The bottom line is that many of the car guys would probably favor the looks of the Gen II, mainly the GTS. Many of the other folks would favor the SRT. I think the Enzo is one of the most homely looking cars on the planet right now, yet even with price aside, many would choose it over just about any other Ferrari out there. Go figure.

Chris

PS. And the comparison to the Comp Coupe continues to puzzle me. Everybody loves the Comp Coupe, which is essentially an SRT with a roof and lower body kit. Same mechanicals, same basic body lines, windshield angle, etc. Several say they don't like the rear on the Comp Coupe, which is the one thing that is the most different from the SRT (few like the SRT rear end either - and I can't say I am in love with it myself). Strange stuff indeed.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is a good looking car especially when the pictures are taken from proper angles. Is it a classic like an rt/10? Nope. Will it be considered to be a better viper 20 years or more from now, never.

Y2k3SRT,

I love how you silently imply that an SRT is much better looking than an RT/10. You can kid yourself all you like but the only viper that looks better than an RT is another RT, GTS's dont hold a candle and SRT's are far far behind.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS. And the comparison to the Comp Coupe continues to puzzle me.

The required removal of the sport bar to make the SRT a true convertible is what 'blands' it out as much if not more than the straight lines. Convertibles NEVER look as good as their coupe counterpart. The RT/10 is NOT a convertible and the sport bar really adds to it's style.

What puzzles me is why DC was so concerned with appeasing so many 'non-car' folks and their "true convertible" request on such a limited production car.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What puzzles me is why DC was so concerned with appeasing so many 'non-car' folks and their "true convertible" request on such a limited production car.

I can give you one very specific good reason:

You must be registered for see images attach

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2k3SRT,

I love how you silently imply that an SRT is much better looking than an RT/10. You can kid yourself all you like but the only viper that looks better than an RT is another RT, GTS's dont hold a candle and SRT's are far far behind.

Well, that is why we call this a "discussion" forum, as it wouldn't be much of a discussion without a difference of opinion. For the record, there is no such thing as an ugly Viper (well, there was that dolphin RT... ;) ). I would take any Viper over any other car short of the Diablo (which I think looks killer in black). That said, my preference in Viper looks and looks alone would be GTS first, SRT second, and then the RT/10. And I certainly never implied "much" better looking, however I personally like the SRT looks a little bit more than the RT/10. Again, that is my personal preference only, although I also hear other similar comments as well. A guy in a new AMG CL55 came up to us at the last Viper Club meeting and said that THIS (the SRT) was the car that would bring him back to the Viper fold. He said he had a '95 RT/10 and wasn't happy with it. Loved the SRT and vowed to buy one as soon as he could after he sat in mine. True car guy? Dunno. Is the SRT a watered down (looks only) Viper-wannabe? Maybe so. Is it an improvement in every single other category?

Enjoy the car you own and I will enjoy the car that I have. I won't diss your car (never did) and would appreciate it if you didn't diss mine. Can you imagine if an SRT owner posted in that forum that he thought the RT/10 looked like a cartoon version of a kit car? Almost every one of us would be all over him like stink on, well, you know. Yet the new Viper owners are supposed to stand by while you crap all over their cars. Which are Vipers whether you like it or not. And which are once again making the Viper name one of the fastest on the planet with great brakes to boot. Does that mean ANYTHING to you? I take pride in ALL Vipers of every year, color, model, or state of repair. I will welcome the guy that bought a salvaged Viper on a shoestring budget as much as the guy that bought three new Vipers and put them with his other exotics. They share the same taste I do: VIPERS.

Chris

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're one of the very few that think the Gen III viper is actually BETTER looking than a gen I or II.

Count me as "one of the very few" too. I'm very happy with my SRT!

Will it be considered to be a better viper 20 years or more from now, never.

I had a 01 RT/10 and IMHO the SRT is a much better Viper. Yes, NOW! :cool:

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT-10 rox!
Nuh-uh, yer SRT-10 sux!

Well, it's good to know I didn't miss anything these past six or eight months.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto what Chris said except my rankings on looks alone would be
1. RT/10 and GTS tied (Name a better looking roadster or coupe for under $200k)
2. SRT

For total vehicle I think the SRT rises to the top.

I also disagree with the statement that coupes always look better than convertibles. This is definitely a personal perspective, but I actually prefer a convertible when done correctly. Some cars, like XKE Jags looked horrible as a coupe (enough headroom for a proper Engish gentleman wearing a top hat) and wonderful as convertibles.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a way I'm a little relieved. It sort of gives us RT10 and GTS owners something to take away.

We have the better looks.

I agree with the staid nature of MB.

I'm still trying to figure out Particle Playground in Adobe After effects.

You must be registered for see images

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am also an admirer of the RT and GTS, but I am referring to the RT without the soft top. ******* and hardtops look nice but those soft tops ruin the look for me. Someday I'll buy an RT, but I'll give away that soft top as it would never be used by me. JMHO.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also disagree with the statement that coupes always look better than convertibles. This is definitely a personal perspective, but I actually prefer a convertible when done correctly. Some cars, like XKE Jags looked horrible as a coupe (enough headroom for a proper Engish gentleman wearing a top hat) and wonderful as convertibles.

Fair enough Ron. I'm not overly familar with the Jags but all the older ones (late 60s early 70s) I've seen looked good, vert or coupe. I was referring to the Camaros, Vettes, Mustangs, Chevelles, etc. Personal pref as you said.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT-10 rox!
Nuh-uh, yer SRT-10 sux!

Well, it's good to know I didn't miss anything these past six or eight months.

McGuire, McGuire - Fred, is that you?? ;) Nice to have you drop in and hope you will stay awhile. Is Serious still alive?

C

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1] RT/10
2] Competition Coupe
3] SRT 10
4] GTS

I never liked the GTS. Saw it for the first time during the Brussels car show in 97 on was shocked what Chrysler had done to the beautiful lines of the original Viper.
As our French friends would say "les gouts et les couleurs, on ne discute pas ". But then according to the majoity of the people on this board we need to nuke France, so I guess their opinion is not really relevant :D

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
McGuire, McGuire - Fred, is that you?? ;) Nice to have you drop in and hope you will stay awhile. Is Serious still alive?

I disavow any knowledge of their current whereabouts or status.

Yeah, it's me, NotJim. I figured now that I'm beating up my car on the track, I should probably start hanging around here again. The one point I've never contended is that this is the best place for accurate technical information, particularly when it comes to racing Vipers.

Love the sig, Chris, that's hilarious. MarkO would be proud.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL Just noticed it.

Yep, MyNameIsNotJim McGuire has joined the "turn the poser's stomach" ranks and been doing to his Viper what it was built for. Sebring again in July Jon?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He is, as it is a tribute to his dear, departed soul. We trade e-mails almost daily and somebody else sent him a link to one of my posts just so he could see the sig. Fun!

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960