***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help.

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get home from a drive and pull in the garage and see steam comming out of the hood. I pop the hood to find coolant comming out somewhere on the driverside of the motor. I cannot find where it is comming from. It is dripping out pretty steady though. The temp gauge seemed to be working and didnt show me overheating or anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thermostat, water pump, head gasket, check them in that order. A blown head gasket will not pour coolant out, more like seep out.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the timing cover gasket first.THis can blow out and either put coolant outside of the block if your lucky.Or into the crankcase if your not lucky.So check your oil and see if it looks likea milkshake.They tend to leak on the drivers side of the engine more often than the passenger side.

Rays94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue a couple of months back. Slow dripping that did not leak enough to warrant adding antifreeze. Just enough to get about a 1/4 cup of antifreeze on the back of the in the intake manifold that would steam and a little on the floor. Turned out to be one of the paper gaskets where the thermostat crossover housing meets the heads. If the leak is coming from the back side of the motor, You may want to remove the windshield cowling and get an ispection mirror to look around the thermostat housing area.

Ray

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack the car up and go over it thoroughly. Isolate the leak and then come back here for answers. It could be BIG or LITTLE, hopefully little.

OP
OP
S

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I talked to Chuck and with everything I could see we think its the timing cover gasket. There has always been a small drip of oil but not enough for me to change it. Now there is oil all over the front of the motor and coolant comming out of the bottom of it. So thank God that it was nothing to bad. So thanks for all the quick and helpful answers.

Adam-

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those timing cover gaskets seem to have occasional problems. I heard there was problem with the machining of the timing cover surface that didn't allowing it to mate up perfectly flush with the block, but I'm not sure. Anybody else hear this? Tom?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang