XM Radio

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought about it, but can't justify it no more than I listen to FM. I guess I'd listen more if I could get some freakin stations. I did have my stereo guy put some super duper antennae inside the dash last week....didn't work worth a s$%t!.....I'm back to the stock antennae. :(

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get a Roady! This little gem goes in the Viper and comes out and fits a little stand in my office. Twofer the priceofone!

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad someone address the XM radio issue......For those who are fortunate enough to have this feature, where in the car is there room enough to mount the XM receiver??? Pictures would be helpful. I"M SORRY "MIKE RED 97 GTS", I"M NOT TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR THREAD, JUST LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Roady is very compact and comes with a little swivel stand that goes between the ashtray and shift lever (self adhesive). When you take it off to go inside, the little do-hickey doesn't look that bad, since it's black and matches and all... I'll try to take a pix and uplink when I get some time. I routed the wire to the Alpine (new receiver I put in that has an "AUX" input) through the ashtray, so I can store it away when the Roady's in the house. My subminiature XM antenna is double-side-taped to the right side of the dash and wire is routed along door opening under glove box and up to center console, so it too can be tucked away. Power is from lighter jack. Works very well and sounds fantastic.
Best thing is the 10.00/month for one receiver is serving both Viper and office. (I do have another receiver in the daily driver that is not removable, but they discount the second receiver, so all in all, not too bad.)
Once you go XM, it's hard to listen to anything else.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
AG98RT, how does this one work, does it use an FM signal to your radio to tune or is it hard wired from the adapter ?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Roady came with a FM modulator when I got mine as a promotion. Ordinarily it costs about 20 bucks. It plays through your DC input (Cig. lighter) and the FM picks it up on a frequency of your choice. I tried it that way and got some very low level motor-boating noise I didn't like, so I got the "home kit" and went to Radio Shack to buy an extra AUX cable to plug it into my new Alpine head unit. SO, I use the home kit AUX plug at home, into my surround system, and the RS cable that's just like it into the Alpine in the Viper. I saved the FM modulator for rental car use...
All this is very economical, btw. Around 20 bucks for the home kit, another 15 or so for the duplicate AUX cable from Rat shack.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have XM for about a year and can not stand to ride in a car that has FM. FM has too many commercials poor quality fidelity and poor choice in music selection.

I paid for 1 year at a time and get it for about 7.95 a month....the best $ 8.00 a month I spend. :2tu:

It is also great for long road trips ...I listen to the same station across the US. :headbang:

Cudaman :usa:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use XM in my GTS. Glass and Plastic do not block the signal. So no external antenna required. I put a metal plate on my sub box and the antenna is mounted on top (inside the car).

I mounted the XM Receiver on the back of the sub.

Works perfect with no signal loss.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have XM in my RT/10. Antenna is mounted in the dash, sees through the glass okay. NO problem except for trees. The signal does not like trees. Lots of trees around my house, so it's useless around my house. Best on the highway.

AC

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said my antenna is on the trunk, so even trees don't bother my signal too much.

The receiver is mounted under the driver's seat. Barely fits with my 1" seat lowering kit.

If I didn't have XM and was getting it for the first time though, I'd get a Roady.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't say I have it in the Viper (since I am Viperless for 13 more days), but do have it in our daily driver. Recently drove 5600 miles roundtrip to northern Alberta (Canada) and had great reception all the way there and back. Only lost it a couple times, and that was only in deep canyons (trees didn't seem to affect it much). Quickly came back when they opened up. We made a similar trip last year and were in FM no-mans-land more often than not. Buy a package deal and get it cheaper. We paid for two years in advance and feel we have already gotten our money's worth on that one trip alone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte