Y So Many Low Miles '00 Vipers 4 Sale?

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y So Many Low Miles \'00 Vipers 4 Sale?

Why do so many people sell their Vipers after only a year a few hundred miles. Can't believe there are so many '00 Vipers with low miles for sale. Anybody?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Y So Many Low Miles \'00 Vipers 4 Sale?

One possibility is that they wanted the ABS that came in '01. Another is that there was a huge slide in the economy during '00 that could have forced them to sell.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Purchased my 00 RT, it only has 700 miles on it. Work forced me not to drive it as i wanted. Now being so busy i have decided that someone else should enjoy the ride, without paying the luxury tax. Black with conganic interior. If interested email.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some of us don't drive our cars much. We all receive enjoyment from our cars in different ways. I put 1000 miles in my Viper in the past year. Love it when it sets, love it when I drive it.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just hit 30,000 on my red 00 RT.......been to michigan and down south a few times...and it still looks like it just came off the show room floor. the stock market tore me a new _________ , but hey....it's only money. i'll quit drivin it when i buy my lear jet. happy drivin all.

Rick

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't drive my Viper very far at all, and she always stays garaged. I think most guys use them sparingly. They're like moving trophies. <grin>

So, when you have the itch to sell, it has low miles!

Steve

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll bet the real low mileage 00's and now even 01's were bought by the WRONG PEOPLE to begin with - 'cuz the true Viper folks don't sdell them that fast.... Unfortunately, these are the folks that couldn't decide whether to get a Corvette or a Viper, so they figured that they wanted the "King of the Road", all the power and they were superior drivers. Personally, I think the 2 cars are like apples to oranges. We never considered a Corvette for either purchase. SO, they bought the Viper and then realized that they wanted ABS, traction control, cupholders, quad power multi function adjustable thing-a-ma-jiggies and now they are selling. They never realy wanted a sports car - they wanted a sporty personal luxury car.....

My $.02

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I second that ACR Joe! I picked up my ACR in August with 7500 miles on it and I'm already over 14000. I do every ViperDays I can as well as autox's and various other track days. Spending a full weekend at a ViperDays event leaves me with such a 'high' it usually takes me till about the following wednesday to calm down to normal again. And when that happens I just re-watch my in-car video of the weekend!

I'm not slagging the owners with the museums on wheels, to each his own, but they have no idea what the car is capable of!

I think there are basically two reasons, as people have said:
- the market is down, people have to sell
- the WRONG people bought the car. The Viper isn't really a status symbol in my opinion, if you want that, buy the porsche.

- Mark ('99 ACR)

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

> From what I have been hearing, the power is down 10-15
> horsepower with the new cams installed for emissions. Don't
> know if thats true or not.

Available evidence indicates it's false. My '01 dyno'd stock at 407.8 RWHP, and most '00+ cars dyno at 405-410 RWHP. However, '00+ cars DO seem to respond less well to exhaust & header mods, picking up 30-35 RWHP compared with 40-50 RWHP for pre-00 cars.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I sold my 00 Red/Silver GTS with 125 miles on the odo after 8 months. I love the cars, but have others I put the miles on. I sold it for a Sapphire Blue car ( I had too many Red cars
You must be registered for see images
)
I now have 15 miles on my 01 ACR and may get an 02 if they bring
back the Viper Blue of 96-97. If they don't than I'm set untill the next coupe.

Just my .02

Steve

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would agree with all of the posts above, except one. I think that the economy did cause a few folks to sell off their new cars as a matter of belt-tightening. I would also say that some found the car was just too aggressive for them. The low mile cars may be due to the nature of the beast, or as Norman said, those that prefer to enjoy their cars in different ways. Of course Norman and I will always respectfully disagree on that part, as I almost fainted when he didn't bring his Viper to VOI6 - even though it was only 200 miles away...
You must be registered for see images
I know some others chose to go with 2001's for the ABS or the new colors (one in our club did).

I don't agree on the horsepower, as to my knowledge it did not drop at all, and may be even increased a bit. The dyno numbers I have seen on the 2000's have been very good across the board. I know I am happy with mine.

I have just under 14,000 miles on my GTS, including two months of downtime this past winter to get the motor work done. Autocross, drag racing, track time, and everyday driving - it's an absolute BLAST!

Chris

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What a waste to let these magnificent machines languish as show queens. I've accumulated 15,000 in two years and enjoyed every moment of it. Save the car ..... for what? for who? Life is too short, taste it while you can!

Oh, did I mention that with the most notable exceptions being the folks that frequent this board, most people are the antithesis of me and my kind. Too bad .... they have no clue what they're missing. To experience a Viper (in my case an ACR) on a road course (and don't be angry with me here ladies) is better than ***.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960