You're killing the planet...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to think I'm saving the planet, as I only drive my car a couple of thousand miles a year and keep it well maintained ;)

Its all the other motorists out there driving poorly maintained cars and trucks that are adding to Global warming ;)

Merry Christmas! So are we going to get snow this year?

Mark
:uk:

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with you, UNRATLD.
BUT......
We as humans are so minute compared to what Mother Nature does DAILY, that it's like shooing a BB gun at a grizzly. Actually, that's a bad metaphor. You don't want to yank Mother Nature's chain. LOL But I think you get my point. We are a shovel full of sand in the habu of the Earth changing.

I'm not going to run around lighting styrofoam on fire or throw old batteries into a reservoir.
But I'm not going to live in a fantasy world either.

Unlike you, I DO get hysterical.
Though only when the message being preached/force-fed is so outlandish, hypocritical, or insanely ironic that my 20A mental fuse blows.
You should see me during a Subaru commercial. :D :D :D

I thought this makes your point rather well.

On warming, peat is the ‘elephant in the room’ - Washington Post- msnbc.com

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score

I'll respond to several replies in this post. I think many people here are concentrating on automobile emissions, whereas I've been using the much broader term "human activity".

Factor in not just automobile exhaust, but the emissions from heavy industry and power plants, the rain forests and swaths of deciduous forests that have been razed to make farmland/grazing land/neighborhoods/etc. Someone mentioned cow farts. Yes, methane from cattle is a significant contributor of greenhouse gas. But why are there so many cattle? Because humans love a good steak, myself included.

The linked article above is, again, caused by humans. From the article:

"Peat...contains gigantic quantities of carbon dioxide, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34035624/ns/world_news-washington_post/#which used to stay locked in the ground. It is now drying and disintegrating, as once-soggy swamps are shorn of trees and drained by canals, and when it burns, carbon dioxide gushes into the atmosphere."

Yet again, humans are the culprit. Without deforestation and draining off the peat bog's water via canals, it wouldn't be drying out and it wouldn't be burning.

Because this is the Viper board, I understand the focus on automobile exhaust in relation to global warming, but the human contribution is far more significant than just the cars we drive.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think it is funny how they "tax" environmentally bad cars...like somehow the green from the money makes things all better:rolaugh:

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I still think it is funny how they "tax" environmentally bad cars...like somehow the green from the money makes things all better:rolaugh:

Oh the taxes are just pure bullsh!t. I mean, if they were using the taxes to replant the rain forests, fine, more power to them. But it's probably being used to fund bailouts, third homes for senators, midnight basketball courts and snortable dehydrated pituitary grindings from aborted fetuses.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNRATLD- Yep, there's another cause. But again, tiny compared to the big picture.
If you stand with your nose pressed against the canvas, there's no way for you to see the Mona Lisa.

I have some bad news for the human race: We're not supposed to be around forever. :D
Now, if we can unscrew some of the damage we've caused as a creature, AWESOME! We may get a few thousand more years on this nice rock.

ONE MORE:
- Ya know all those folks that are buying those pseudo-'canvas' bags for their grocery shopping instead of using paper/plastic from the store?
Yeah- MADE IN CHINA. All of 'em.
Again, don't take my word for it. Just check out the tag on the bag.
(And if you can't spend 8 seconds being bothered to check the tag on the back or read a label on a box, then you are not allowed into the discussion because you FAIL as a human being)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, you could sign up for your Xcel Energy Power and Gas bill and pay 50% more your electricity because you checked off the "Wind Power Source" box. People can't really be this stupid, are they? I am all for adding additional alternative energy because the amount of growth required in the energy industry to feed the need is growing. It stimulates business too.

The green movement is getting out of hand as we will end up living in caves, where we are all wearing sandels, robes and riding goats. Anyone see where this is all going. Pretty scary, huh!

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The green movement is getting out of hand as we will end up living in caves, where we are all wearing sandels, robes and riding goats. Anyone see where this is all going. Pretty scary, huh!

That doesnt bother me a bit unless we're still getting taxed for our goat's poop

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look, humanity is just a tiny little blip on the big, climatological machine we call planet earth, which has a long history of being both warmer and colder than it is now, all without any help from us. Before anyone buys into this trendy, politically correct "We humans are overheating the planet, and we're all gonna die!" nonsense (we'll get into WHY it's been made politically correct and trendy later), a little history lesson is in order.

The last time humanity had a serious climate problem, it was a cooling, not a warming problem. It was called the "Little Ice Age", and depending on how you wish to interpret the historical data, it began sometime between 1300 and 1450 A.D., and lasted until about 1850. We have been in a warming period overall since, though we had a period of significant cooling between roughly 1937 and 1973. Note that this last occurred during a period of rapid industrialization with an absence of modern pollution mitigation. As a matter of fact, when this whole "environmental movement" started in the late sixties-early seventies, some of the same types screaming about "global warming" now, were telling us the danger was "global cooling"! Yep, you head right; all those emissions were going to "Cause another Ice Age!", or so it was said. Didn't happen, obviously; but the point is, there's always been a group of "Chicken Littles", ready to proclaim that the sky is falling, all to bring attention and support to their political and social agenda. I am continually amazed, at the amount and volume of junk science that can be bought with enough grant money; and even more amazed at how many people are ready and wiling to uncritically accept it; then again, if the planet is doing something we don't like at the moment, we simply MUST be able to control it ( the logical inference from that being that we therefore must have "caused" it). The alternative, after all, is admitting that we, as a species, are not quite so powerful, smart, or technologically competent as we would like to believe we are.

That last is why, when a washed-up, defeated, political hack and congenital liar (yes, I mean Al "I invented the internet, I discovered Love Canal, my daddy taught me to plow steep hillsides behind a mule!" Gore!), says it's so, so many politicians, fawning media types, and people in general rally to the cause without question, right? Well, partly that, and it does make a good story, but there's just a bit more to it.

The real reason (as usual) all comes down to green, and not green as in trees, but green as in money. Kevan already brought up a part of this; notice where the new, environmentally conscious products are coming from (from bags to CFL bulbs, to you-name-it)? China, which also just happens to be, as a nation, the largest single polluter on the planet! Follow the money trail, from corporate fat cats to political lobbying groups to the campaign coffers of politicians of BOTH major parties and you will have the answer as to who wants an agenda that has steadily shifted America's production resources (and a lot of American jobs!) to China. This is all about profits, big corporate profits, which are to be had at all cost, and the environment, the American consumer, and most of all, the American worker be d*mned! The theory is, we can make more money selling out our means of production, and our jobs, to a country that can use sweat shop workers getting paid what Americans would never accept, in conditions Americans would never tolerate, to make the products cheaper, and if telling the sheep that they we are doing this in the name of protecting the environment makes them more willing to be fleeced, so much the better! If we can also use that as an excuse for more taxes, to fund more entitlement spending that helps politicians get re-elected, even better (have to keep those same sheep fat, dumb, and somewhat happy while they are being sheared, you know)! I do trust everyone here understands that any politician, once elected, has one primary, overriding goal-get re-elected! In the end, the rich will get richer, everyone else will be dependent on the politician's largesse, and the Chinese will prosper (and pollute) more than ever, all in the name of profit!

That assumes, of course, that Mother Nature doesn't step in, and ruin it all by handing us another cooling period. Fortunately, that just may be beginning, and I for one, hope it is a real doozy! Bring on the blizzards; I'll be laughing while I'm shivering, just at the thought of that bunch of greedy, lying, egomaniacs trying to explain THAT!

Those of you who doubt this, take a look at the "carbon footprint" of Al "I'm only trying to save the planet!" Gore's mansion in Tennessee; that'll tell you how much he really believes in that snake oil he's peddling!:mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456