0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm seeing very similar, but slightly different times posted. best 0-60 "factory" time i see is 3.7
i have a 2004 with an sct tune interfaced to a laptop. the car has the kenne bell intake and nothing else (yet).
i'm getting consistent 3.5 times. is this within the "normal range" or is the sct actually doing what it claims?
re 1/4 times; what is considered "normal" range for a stock vert?
thanks
tom

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenne Bell makes an intake for the Viper. Since when??????

+1 on that comment.

Also, how are you timing your 0-60 runs. Very difficult to accurate times without some pretty expensive equipment. If your using a DashHawk to get your numbers, you should know those things are REALLY optimistic on their times.

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, brain fart. upgrades on my grand national are kenne bell.
the viper is K & N
as far as the times, i'm just intersterested in others are getting, ie what range?
i have a track slip at 3.8 and 12.1, but that was the first time i ran it.
i think i'm driving better now, but curious about were i am with more experienced
drivers.
AND if the tune made any difference......
thanks
tom

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What drag strip are going to that tells you your 0-60? I've never seen that and honestly don't know how they can tell when you hit 60 MPH unless they have radar guns pointed down the track linked to when you leave the line.
I really hope your 60' isn't 3.8!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers just don't make any sense. I've never seen a track record 0-60 and if he's turning a 12.1 quarter with a 3.8 60 ft time, he's making a lot more power in that car than he should be. I gotta agree with Sal on this one. Something isn't right here.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. This is probably the most tolerant and helpful board I have ever seen. The OP just has no clue what he's talking about.

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i,m sorry that i don't know the proper words for asking questions. i'm just trying to learn about the car.
i ran the car once. the 1/4 mile was 12.1 the speed was 108.5. 1/8th time was 7.9 with speed 85. it says "0-60 3.8(calculated)"
using that as a baseline, i added the tune and i'm getting lower times 0-60. is it apples to oranges comparison and not valid?
did the sct make the diffrerence? the sct has a cat delete program that i want to try with straight pipes and compare performance.
i also bought an underdrive pulley and want to compare times again.
all i was asking is if the 3.5- 3.8 times are within a "normal" range for the car so i can see what the mods do.
low tech, but that's all i got for now.
sorry for being Viper stupid, but i came here to learn. maybe this is the wrong place for me.
as far as owning one feel free to check the VIN:1b3jz65z44v1000052
thomas plumeri

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just never seen a time slip that says your 0-60.
You won't find many people talking 0-60 on here because there's not a very good way to accurately time it. Just use your 1/4 times and trap speed, and you'll be better off.
Honestly, 12.1 isn't very bad at all for only being down the track once. Why did you only get one pass in for the day/night? The odd thing is that 108 MPH is EXTREMELY slow to be turning a 12.1.
If you do a search for "times" "1/4" "qtr" etc, you will find quite a few threads on here showing what people have run and what mods they have. Obviously, temp, humidity, elevation, track condition, driver skill, etc make a big difference, but you will get some better ideas what other guys are running.
I haven't even had mine down the track yet. I have a track a few miles away, but it's only an 1/8 track. I grew up running 1/4 at Atlanta Dragway, but it's too far from where I live I now and they won't let me run there anyway because even a bone stock Viper is going to run too fast for a vert. They are an NHRA owned track and go 100% by the book on the rules.

Alteredego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch drag racing a Gen 3 with a stock rear diff. If you wheel hop you could frag your diff. I tried launching my vert in first and got too much wheel hop and ended up breaking one maij cap into three pcs, and stipping the teeth of of two spiders. Then I was goated into racing my buddies '10 lambo and ran a 11.02 @123 launching my broken car in second gear and a lot of poping and jerking turning off the track. Btw the lambo ran a 11.4 it was new so he didnt want to beat it up much. Needless to say I wont be drag racing my viper again until I get a Gen 4 rear in it. I now have the 1000 lb springs which helps a bunch.
Just my $0.02

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just never seen a time slip that says your 0-60.
You won't find many people talking 0-60 on here because there's not a very good way to accurately time it. Just use your 1/4 times and trap speed, and you'll be better off.
Honestly, 12.1 isn't very bad at all for only being down the track once. Why did you only get one pass in for the day/night? The odd thing is that 108 MPH is EXTREMELY slow to be turning a 12.1.

i am as far from an expert as you could find! i live in NW kansas. the nearest dyno is 5 hours drive. the nearest 1/4 id 2 hours drive and it aint cheap to run.
i never intended to "drag race" the car. i only wanted a baseline to compare mods against. no sense in multiple runs at this point, i already know i have to launch in 2nd gear. so as long as i'm consistent in driving style, i can run after each mod and compare.
i'm sorry if i ruffled any feathers by my stupidity, but all i asked was what the "normal" 0-60 range was.
i see now that it was a stupid question.
i promise not to ask anymore questions. i'll just read all the posts and learn.
tom

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60 used to be good measurement for all the old slow cars back in the day.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
i am as far from an expert as you could find! i live in NW kansas. the nearest dyno is 5 hours drive. the nearest 1/4 id 2 hours drive and it aint cheap to run.
i never intended to "drag race" the car. i only wanted a baseline to compare mods against. no sense in multiple runs at this point, i already know i have to launch in 2nd gear. so as long as i'm consistent in driving style, i can run after each mod and compare.
i'm sorry if i ruffled any feathers by my stupidity, but all i asked was what the "normal" 0-60 range was.
i see now that it was a stupid question.
i promise not to ask anymore questions. i'll just read all the posts and learn.
tom

Your not ruffling any feathers. Your a Viper owner. This is a site for Viper owners. Post up your time slips so we can see them. This site has a lot of people that 1/4 mile their Vipers and can answer your questions. Like TowDawg said though, 108 mph and 12.1 et don't jive.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not ruffling any feathers. Your a Viper owner. This is a site for Viper owners. Post up your time slips so we can see them. This site has a lot of people that 1/4 mile their Vipers and can answer your questions. Like TowDawg said though, 108 mph and 12.1 et don't jive.

ESPECIALLY Launching in 2nd gear. There's no way you should launch in second with 3.07 rear gears and a 1st that goes to 60. If you had launched in second, your only shift would've been to third.

Something sounds off or is goofy.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
best Ive seen from mags ect is 3.7 or 3.8?

I believe that with great driving on a 1.75 60 foot a stocker can run a 11.5 at 123 mph equateing to 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. But thats about the best your gonna ever see. For us mere mortal drivers a 2.0 60 foot and 12.1 at 120.5 mph equateing to a 4.0 0-60 mph time is about average.

With a good 20 runs of practice under your belt on a stocker then a 60 foot of 1.95 is easily achieavable over and over again and a 11.9 at 121.5 mph quarter mile equateing to a 0-60 of 3.9.

Once you start getting to the 1.898 60 foots on stock rubber and 122 plus mph trap speeds then you are beyond the average driver and pretty darn good.

Now with your sct tune and kn air intake combo thats a completely differant can of worms. You easily have 20 rwhp over a stocker and even with average driving off a 2.0 60 foot a 11.9 at 122-123 mph should be no problem what so ever.

Great driving and a 1.90 60 foot and your talking 11.7 at 123-124 all day.

Keep us posted on your progress. Youll see very quickly that of the 9,500 SRT10 owners in the world theirs maybe 100 of us who like drag racing em. The convertable top will get you kicked off most strips and the track ready suspension mixed with 13.5 inch runflats hates launching in a straight line. My gen2 was MUCH easier to drag race (but the srt10 is faster stock for stock)

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last time slip showed a 1.7 60 ft time. a 7.5 1/8 timer and a 11.70 @ 119.17 1/4 Mostly stock 04 with a mail in tune from DC, Corsa, ported intake,

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
launch in 2nd gear.... this thread keeps getting better and better. LMAO

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh launch in 2nd gear is probably why mph so low and the 60' is int he 3s.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't see a point with stock gears. If you had 4.10s maybe, but stock gears you are hitting 60mph, losing a lot of power with 3.07s launching in 2nd IMHO.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock 98 GTS just ran 12.04 @ 118 mph. 60' times were between 1.82 and 1.95. This was my first time at the track on regular Kumho street tires at stock inflation. My GPS based G-tech showed 0-60 times of approximately 3.7-3.8 on the 12.0 runs with good launches. 108 mph just sounds wrong.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even in a forum as nice as this one, some "poking" is unavoidable. What you're saying makes sense now, if one reads what you wrote in your posts.

Getting an exact 0-60 is a little tough, for stock I'd go with factory specs. If you're looking at tracking perf by mod, you can certainly do that, but 1/4 mile MPH is much more reliable for that, even than ET which fluctuates more. I know some disagree, but I think the GenIII viper is one of the easiest I've ever taken to the drag strip, but my frame of reference is sliding a 600rwhp mustang down the stip on 295 street tires. With my car completely stock and a week old (03 SRT) I did a best ET of 11.97, but my car was strong, for ex with only corsa cat back & a mail order DC tune it ran 11.90's all day at 125.X MPH. That's a strong GenIII. Getting 1.80 60ft times to me is easy with these cars, with regular air pressure etc., you've got a sticky 345 tire, 3.07 rear, all you need is some touch on the throttle & clutch and the run seems slow it's so uneventful. My worst run wasn't blown on launch but on pushing too ******* 3rd & spun up the wheels at the top of the track on a 2-3 shift, cost 2 tenths.

But honestly, so many combos have been tested, all you need to do is figure how fast you want to be, check the list of mods needed & bolt them on, easy peasy. As for hiflo cats on a GenIII, to me not worth it for perf, more of a sound mod, as the guys that make them told they're only good for a couple rwhp, so I never did it. But I might on my GenIV as there's more of a diff based on results I'm hearing about.

Have fun, and don't worry about some of the poking, everyone here is a good sport, it's in fun and that's what the cars are about. Congrats on your viper ownership, let the mods begin.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just brok into the 11.5's range 1.725 60 ft a 4.866 330' 1/8 mile 7.465 94.26 mph 9.693 1000 ft finishing at 11.5 @ 121.38 temp 71 Realitive Humidity 6 and Absolute Barometer 29.66 This to date is my personal best.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slightly off topic but is the gen 3 rear diff really THAT weak????????????

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I was practicing my launch technique on a deserted back road in my 08 and was often getting lots of wheelspin.
So I tried a launch in second gear.....Revved it up, dropped the clutch hard and...Holy*&% I could see a ton of smoke in the rearview mirror and then smoke started coming inside the car through the trans tunnel, with some bad smell. I then figured out I was probably toasting the clutch or something.....never tried that again and the car is still fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte