0-60 times?

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok this may be stupid but why are the 0-60 times in the magazines alway quicker than the 5-60 times. One who think you are already hooked up and should have better times. Any ideas?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good launch will get you to 5mph in a split second - FASTER than you can roll on the throttle at 5mph without slapping it down and sitting there spinning it up.

A Viper that was blueprinted and balanced with roller rockers, good valve springs, cam and oiling setup could get a great 0-60 time by resetting rpm limit and going to 60mph in first.... esp. on ET Streets :D

DesertSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take is:
By slipping the clutch (or using the torque converter, high stall=good), you are getting more power out of the engine during the launch because it's at higher rpm. When you're hooked up at 5 mph you have to pull from 1500 rpm or whatever it may be.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take is:
By slipping the clutch (or using the torque converter, high stall=good), you are getting more power out of the engine during the launch because it's at higher rpm. When you're hooked up at 5 mph you have to pull from 1500 rpm or whatever it may be.

Yeah, I think that about sums it up. A little bit of wheelspin (not too much) generally gives the best results, and it's easier to break that static traction with more revs from rest than to do so from down low in the revs. Particularly if your tires are really fat.

Also, some turbocharged engines don't have enough boost rolling along at 5 mph. They're basically still asleep. Like an Audi TT, which takes 1.5 seconds longer to get to 60 from a 5 mph roll than it does from rest. And cars with little torque generally have a tough time in this type of test. The S2000 comes to mind. Its VTEC comes on strongly at 6K rpm, so it takes awhile to get there.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would get a better time 5-60 if they slipped the clutch and launched like they do from a standstill. My assumption is the clutch is completely out at 5 MPH, and they only modulate the gas pedal to launch. On the Viper, the times probably are not that much different, since it is a torque monster. But, on a car like a Mitsu EVO, it will be huge. No 6000 RPM launches. The 5-60 is probably a better indicator of true street acceleration, since clutches/trannies/rearend don't take kindly to mega-RPM launches, at least for any long period of time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper