01 RT/10 - Can I do my own brakes?

CScott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I change all of my own brakes on my other cars but when I got the tire off...... Well could anyone give me the steps? I would normally just dig in but my would hate to mess up the Viper.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done several and it is easy as pie if you have done other brakes. The fronts are VERY simple. Mine nearly dropped out when you remove the pins on the calipers.

The rears were a little trickier than the fronts, but still much easier than drum brakes!!! Its been a couple years but if I remember correctly, you may need to use a specific tool to rotate the rear brake cylinders in order to provide more clearance before you insert the new pads. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to do the rotating...worked great!

Again, I'm going off of memory here but I remember it being very easy.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's anything like the the SRT's, it's a joke. Just use a hammer and punch to take the pins out, use vice-grips (with a pad between the outside of the caliper and the vice grips) and use the old pads to compress the calipers, take out the old pads, put in the new ones, and re-install the pins and tensioner.
It literally takes longer to jack up the car and take off the wheel than it does to change the pads.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 also, and just did a complete pad change and fluid swap (MityVac!). Now I have StopTech brakes front and rear, but the concept is still the same. This was the first time I'd done it on a Viper, but have swapped pads on many other cars. Took the better part of a morning because I was learning my way around the car, but you can do it easily. As was mentioned, check the how-to sections (are you a member), and also search around the internet if you don't have a service manual (if you don't GET ONE!) The manual will walk you through everything.

It's a relatively simple task, and you'll both save $$ doing it yourself, and feel a whole lot better knowing you can tackle it!

OP
OP
C

CScott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang you guys are quick... I will try to search for the "idiots" guide to Viper brakes.

I previously had the bolts out of the calliper but I could not get the pads out, was like the calliper never let go. Usually I grab a hammer and beat the calliper until it releases but I have to be missing something.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you located? Good bet there's another owner nearby who may be able to help you out in person. I did have to use a good bit of pulling and pushing to get the old pads out, due to the fact that they were track pads, used hard (obviously) and were a bit tight in the caliper. No problem using a soft headed mallet to "persaude" the pads to loosen, but if the caliper pistons are tight up against the pad backs, you will have a tough time coaxing them out. Try breaking open the bleed screw (with a hose installed and run into a container with fresh fluid), and then pushing the pad back against the piston. I needed to do this to loosen the pad up, and I was going to completely bleed the brakes anyway. Do you have the cap off the fluid resivour (sp?) too? Got to watch the level in there as your pushing back the pistons. Might overflow if fluid has been added as the pads have worn.

Best of luck!

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I previously had the bolts out of the calliper but I could not get the pads out, was like the calliper never let go. Usually I grab a hammer and beat the calliper until it releases but I have to be missing something.

I did the same thing on my first brake pad change...removed the calipers not knowing what I was in for....not necessary though.

OP
OP
C

CScott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am located in MN.

Anyone here????

So I DO NOT need to remove the calliper? just loosen and find a way to knock out the old pads?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Caliper removal: Front...NO; Rear...YES

On the fronts...knock out pins with a drift punch, remove clip, pull pads out (I use an old bucket handle to "hook" the pads.

Rears are more complex...need to remove calipers, rotate piston in with a special tool (I prefer the Miller tool).

Suggest that you get a 2001 Service Manual from Dodge Tech Authority https://techauthority.gltghosting.c...Home?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051l

or from JonB @ PartsRack or from flea-bay

OR call one of us when you get puzzled or need torque specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21