01' Sapphire RT/10.... To Stripe, or not to Stripe?

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting aftermarket silver stripes on my solid sapphire paint job with Cognac interior.... yay, or nay?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a personal choice of course. I have always prefered stripes on the coupe and solid on the convertibles and roadsters. So I guess it's a Nay from this end.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. I think a GTS looks killer with stripes but it's hard for a RT to pull off for some reason. Again, personal preference.

I will say that an RT with stripes, an Autoform "batwing" and a hardtop looks pretty smooth...but that's probably because it looks pretty similar to a GTS at that point. Hell, if you don't like it after you put them on, they're vinyl; just pull 'em back off!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what color stripe would you do?

I never put one on mine because of the cognac interior, think the striped Vipers look best with the black interior.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am just about to have some custom stripes put on my rt10. They will be very different than the usual. They will be like the old open top race cars used to have. One thick 8 inch stripe on the drivers side in the same place the gts has its stripe and then a 3 inch space, then a 3 inch stripe over the drivers head like the ACR. The other side has no stripes at all. I have already done it in vinyl and it looks great. My car should be done in 2 weeks. I will post picks when its done. I say go different!

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im going matte black stripe over mopar sunburst orange. I think you could do a white opal metalic over the saphire. You should have someone do a photoshop on it.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say no stripes for your rt/10. Not that they would look bad but keep it stock if you can.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like striped Vipers. I think they just don't look 'right' without the Shelby stripes. Coupes and roadsters wouldn't matter to me as they look pretty much the same, except from the sides, where there's no stripes.

Most people either love 'em or hate 'em.

You could compromise and use Black stripes? If you made the stripes out of vinyl (buy a kit) you could peel them if they weren't what you thought they'd be. My 98 GTS had Silver stripes added to break up the monotone.

TED

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted Ghost stripes on mySapphire '01 and they are killer---the plain color just got to looking---tired??? not the right word, but wanted to renew the car--and the solid color strips were too much. With the Ghost stripes you get the plain look of the solid color but when you get close you notice them and in the sun they -POP--best of both worlds..IMHO.

Sapphire RT/Tn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted Ghost stripes on mySapphire '01 and they are killer---the plain color just got to looking---tired??? not the right word, but wanted to renew the car--and the solid color strips were too much. With the Ghost stripes you get the plain look of the solid color but when you get close you notice them and in the sun they -POP--best of both worlds..IMHO.

I would love to see a picture of that.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the ricer stripes. Have seen a gen 3 car painted saphire to match the owners gen 2 BUT with more slver sprinkles in it. Talk about killer color........... GTS BRuce

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers need stripes. I get more compliments on the stripes than anything else about the car. :drive:

Just do it. :2tu:

P9270290.JPG

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Above comment is true. Most popular is striped. Plain is rare,

Ted

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes=ricer look even though the GTS pulls it off great. No stripes=Cleaner/richer look that is what I have heard for 6+years of ownership.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say go with Vinyl and if you do not like it, you can peel them right off. I have the same color combo and was going to do this as well but I have to repaint the hood and front bumper first and that is not in my budget at the time.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Watching Barrett-Jackson Auction on Speed channel

Bit of racing history;
When America went racing internationally (duirng the 50s) all the single colors (like British Racing Green) were taken so America's official racing colors were White with Blue Stripes. Cunnighams raced these colors.

So now you know that Official American Race Cars had to be Striped to compete.

I thought that was something interesting to know.

TED

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery