01 viper throwing main drive belt

leg01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my 2001 viper, with only 4500 miles, threw the main drive belt and I think its due to the power steering pump and pulley. There is some play in the pulley as well as noise coming from that area.

My question is, is this a known problem with vipers, or is this just a plain old pump failure.

I'm a viper owner for the first time and not real familiar with common or uncommon issues with this year and type of car.

How difficult of a task is this to take on?

Thanks for any info in advance.

mitchdob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the power steering pump, cap, bracket and pulley are a known problem on GenII's.

Search these forums and you'll find a lot about it. I'd recommend you consider:
http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/product.php?productid=17925&cat=341&page=1

Also make sure your on your OEM setup your steering cap is securely tightened and remains so. The cap can have a habit of loosening and coming off on its own. If that happens its known to spew ps fluid all over the engine compartment.... and especially the exhaust/headers.... leading to other BAD problems.

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you really need power steering in this car? I wonder how it is without it..I had an 85 GT Mustang I ripped off the power steering pump and solved the leak issue and actually reponded better to driving..Same goes for my 71 Challenger with A 440 in it.. It actually feels more solid and secure when driving.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2001 viper, with only 4500 miles, threw the main drive belt and I think its due to the power steering pump and pulley. There is some play in the pulley as well as noise coming from that area.

I'm a viper owner for the first time and not real familiar with common or uncommon issues with this year and type of car.

How difficult of a task is this to take on?

Thanks for any info in advance.

There are a lot of threads on the forums about the "plastic" power steering pump pulley breaking. I'm surprised that you have the problem at 4500 miles though. I always thought the pulley failed due to heat and vibration. Perhaps there is also some kind of degradation jsut due to ozone in the air or other chemicals over the 12 years. People usually replace the pulley and the bracket. There have been reports of the cast bracket between the power steering pump and engine breaking.

You have two choices of pulleys. Steel like was used in the first year or more, or billet aluminum, which costs more but some say easier to install. I went with the steel pulley. If you have worked on cars, this is not awfully difficult.

See DIY here: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...lley-amp-Bracket-Replacement-Guide-amp-Photos

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another input that I would add is that there is some possibility of the crankshaft bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on can come loose. Not as common as broken PS pulley but its not unusual, especially in supercharged cars. You really should ensure that that is not the root cause of your issue. i.e., bolt comes loose, damper rides out on crank snout causing misalignment of belt causing vibration and breakage of plastic power steering pump pulley. Loose bolt and damper can result in expensive damage to the crankshaft. Sometimes not.

OP
OP
L

leg01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
there is play, it seems, in the shaft not the pulley. making me think the pump is bad.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many threads on the power steering pulley issue. If it is your issue...this is the answer...

You must be registered for see images

...it utilizes a self-locking hub that doesn't require a puller for installation or removal.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if its the shaft, change out the whole PS assy, its almost a matter of when, not if. Good luck with it.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the Vendors sell the replacement products needed. The power steering pump bracket is cast and can snap! Especially if your running any kind of boost!

If you want to keep a black looking replacement pulley, then Roe Racing have that available on their website. The Aluminium pulley above is available also from Mark at IPSCO.

For the power steering cap there is an aftermarket attachment (bent metal tube with rubber pipe) that directs fluid away from the engine, it fits to the air hole on top of the cap. I Just fitted a black rubber tube on top of the cap and directed the tube into the front wheel arch near the brake bias valve ;)

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if its the shaft, change out the whole PS assy, its almost a matter of when, not if. Good luck with it.

and if you do the work yourself you will not believe what a pos the OEM bracket is. I couldn't believe anybody would put that part in that place on a car like this.

OP
OP
L

leg01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you. I ordered the billet pulley and bracket listed above, and also ordered a reman pump just in case. If all goes well I'll do the job monday morning and be back on the road monday afternoon. :drive:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check the condition of your high pressure p/s hose too. Mine had a large divot taken out of it as it was rubbing on the bottom of the p/s reservoir. If your high pressure hose is okay, you'll need a new o-ring where it attaches to the p.s pump. Viton o-rings are fine and any auto parts store will have them.

It's not a hard job...just take your time and have fun.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cracked the AC compressor mounting bracket on my 94 and it caused this same problem. It would only happen under hard acceleration.

OP
OP
L

leg01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the radiator overflow on the right front side?

I noticed a bit of antifreeze on the right side of the car, garage floor... I ran the car for about a mile and a half without knowing I threw the belt. so there was some heat build up.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, radiator expansion tank is on passenger side in front of the pass front wheel. There is a rubber cover you can remove to take a look, and there is a small slit that can be used to check the coolant level in the expansion tank. I usually remove the rubber cover and shine a flashlight in there and then I can see what the fluid level is through the view port. I've heard that some fasteners would eventually rub the expansion tank to the point of causing leaks. VPA has these tanks and as I recall they were pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang