02 hood won't stay open

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried degreasing and cleaning the upper and lower coil springs. Didn't help. Also tried leaving the hood propped open for a few weeks to see if that would relax the springs and fix the issue. Nothing is working. I've thought of adding lift support shocks somehow like they did in 2017 when they brought the clamshell hood back. Any suggestions that I haven't tried?

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you also clean the hing assembly, if they are lubed the hood falls back down, this is one of the rare times that having something lubed makes things worse, when the hinges are dry they make enough resistance to keep the hood from coming down. And if you have to lube them use a silicon spray that has a dry film.

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be curious about hearing solutions as well.

My 2000 ACR hood will sometimes stay up on the first time but typically I have to "pump" it down and up a little a few times to get it to stay. Not sure why or how that works but it does. Rarely does it not work but there have been times. Would love to figure out a way to get it back to working 100% of the time. People always want to see the engine and a falling hood is embarrassing haha.

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently using a drywall panel carrier to hold it up that I originally bought to help take the doors off my Jeep. It fits well in front of the air box & blends in well, almost looks factory lol.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach