02 RT/10 with Lowering Caps, Pics! Thanks JonB!

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed some lowering caps that I bought from JonB a few weeks ago. I think it lowered it just enough. Looks the way it should have came from the factory. Thought I would share. :2tu:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics. I have a similar RT - '98 - and have been seriously thinking of doing this. Car looks great...can you tell me how much the caps lowered it?

Thanks!

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great...can you tell me how much the caps lowered it?

I agree! Car looks great!!! I would also be interested in how much it lowered it. Can you measure from the ground to the bottom of the front lip?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I saw that the caps on Jon's site (Yup, $159). What is involved in changing them, as I'm not really familiar with the suspension (never bothered to look). Sounds like a fair amount of labor, having to:

- remove (or unbolt) each axel unit go get to the spring...does the spring have to be removed or can it just be compressed, caps replaced, and uncompressed.
- Once back together, does this require a four wheel alignment due to the lowering and different geometry - changes in camber, etc.

Lastly, any estimate of cost to do the install or if not cost, estimate of hours to complete (except for alignment)? Just trying to decide if this should be the next thing I do after my hi-flows are installed.:2tu:

Thanks!!

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, I saw that the caps on Jon's site (Yup, $159). What is involved in changing them, as I'm not really familiar with the suspension (never bothered to look). Sounds like a fair amount of labor, having to:

- remove (or unbolt) each axel unit go get to the spring...does the spring have to be removed or can it just be compressed, caps replaced, and uncompressed.
- Once back together, does this require a four wheel alignment due to the lowering and different geometry - changes in camber, etc.

Lastly, any estimate of cost to do the install or if not cost, estimate of hours to complete (except for alignment)? Just trying to decide if this should be the next thing I do after my hi-flows are installed.:2tu:

Thanks!!
Other inquiring minds are wanting to know too! :eater:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, for those not familiar with the spring/shock setup, here are some pics. Looks like it maybe simpler than I thought, as it does not look like the axles need to be unbolted to get to the spring. Can compress (looks like you can at least) spring, replace can and uncompress spring....et voila!!!!:D

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/622419-eibachs-how.html

But, not sure about the rear wheel setup and approximately how many hours this would take.

Anybody???

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are easy to install, you need to compress the springs and slide out the stock cap, they have a slot in them so you do not have to remove and disassemble the assembly and yes a realignment is an absolute must

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It lowered it about 3/4". It took about a couple of hours to do by myself. I did a search on here and saw that a few guys were able to compress the springs on the car without taking them off. Well, I tried that and it did not work at all for me. So I just took the coilovers off and compressed them off of the car. Once I did that everything went smoothly. It's just two bolts. Make sure you have a pry bar to help get the bolts to line up when you are reinstalling them. Once you are done you will need to drive around for a few miles to let them settle in. It will not look lowered until they settle in.

People say that I need to get an alignment done after this but my car drives as straight as it can. But, I'm still going to get one done to check to see how off it is.

If you are careful you will not scrape much. My driveway has a 30 degree pitch but if I hit it at an angle I do not scrape. I say go for it!!!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad you got the caps on yourself, driving straight is only one portion of the alignment, you changed the geometry of your suspension and in doing so changed the contact patten and where the pressure is applied to the tire, your car can now become very squirrel at high speeds and not to mention the life of your expensive tires have been greatly reduced until your get a realignment by an experience shop

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great...excuse my ignorance guys, but do the caps affect the ride quality of the car? Is there more tension on the spring with caps?

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny, yea that is why I am going to go ahead and get it done. Just bought new tires and that was not fun!

Brian, really have not tried them yet in the mountains but it should make it handle better!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does a 4-wheel alignment run these days. My car drives perfectly straight and when I bought it Chuck checked it out. Have never bothered having one done because didn't think necessary. However, agree that lowering will change the geometry of the suspension and should be done. So, the cost of this "minor" mod, lowering 3/4", is increasing.

As I see it, for me at least, costs are:

-Caps - $159 + ship
-Labor for install - ?
-4-wheel alignment - ?

Total Cost of Lowering: ???:dunno:

Thanks.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great...excuse my ignorance guys, but do the caps affect the ride quality of the car? Is there more tension on the spring with caps?

Because the spring is less compressed, the tension is less. There is no perceptible change in ride quality.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a good shop that specializes in normal and track 4 wheel alignments should fall in the range of $70-100, I have an alignments done on my cars once a year, even if the car drives strait does not mean your alignment is ok, *** holes and bumps will throw your alignment and they need to be dialed back in, I feel this is especially a must on our vipers to make sure we have great contact with the road :drive:

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great! :2tu: Mine is a little lower but I have 19/20s.
You will scrape more but that is what you have to put up with.
There is always a price for beauty. :cool:

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Chuck do mine on my Gen3. Installation and Alignment was in mid $300.00 range. Worth every penny of it, car looks killer and rides killer,best mod for the buck !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456