04 Viper 1/4 mile times

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Shelby Dodge Annual Convention just concluded in Chicago. They had rented Great Lakes Dragaway yesterday for the day, and instead of thrashing My shelby I tried the Viper.

This was my first real attempt at this and I took 3 runs throughout the day. My best run was a 12.31 @118+ mph with a 1.78 60'time. My viper is box stock with 700 miles on the odometer.

What are the 04's capable of running with an experienced driver?

I actually had a blast, as it was the first time I really let it go since I bought it.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was your 1/8th mile time, and what mph at that point.

Skip White

ps, how did you achieve such a low 60 foot time.

Skip White

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 60' time is very low. The 1/4 mile time is good, but with the 118MPH trap speed I'd say that you are a little off on your power levels. your trap speed should be between 120MPH and 124MPH, and it could easily be that your engine needs a few hundred more break-in miles before it can make it's full power.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car will run much better with break in as Snakester mentioned, plus you will get better at shifting the car. I think this part of the low trap speed issue. I must say that 60 foot time is great. Were you able to reproduce those take off's?

Skip

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As snakester said

With more miles on your beast will come more power and better times.

I heard that the car starts to come alive at 5000 miles

vd..

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, 5,000 miles would take me 3 to 4 years and I never keep them that long. I better find some more power now.
Bob

That's sad.

I've had my car five months and already have over 5000 miles.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, 5,000 miles would take me 3 to 4 years and I never keep them that long. I better find some more power now.
Bob

That's sad.

I've had my car five months and already have over 5000 miles.

I hear ya! Had mine less than 40 days and have 2800 miles(all but 21 are mine all mine!!). I purposely forget stuff so I have to go back out.. :D MT did run an 11.77@124 when the SRT-10 bested the GT40's 11.78 in the GT40/SRT-10 Viper comparo issue.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe carlsbad track locally dont care about those rules. They just about kicked me out today for not having a roll bar even though I had the printout with me. Luckily they know me from previous events and let it slide.

By the way, I ran my SRT-10 for the first time today and the car ran a 12.6 @115. Every time I shifted into 2nd gear, the car broke loose and got wobbly on me. My car is an 03 completely 100% stock with 2800 miles on it. Was somewhat warm (80's.) I was hoping the car would hit 120 MPH but that didn't happen.

Are you guys shifting at redline? Are you power shifting to get the 11's @ 124 mph? There was a modded Z06 there putting down almost as much power as me with a lighter car and he was pulling 119 MPH and would always blast by me at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Manny, have you dynoed the 03 yet?
I would be curious to see what kind of power you are putting out.
I shift when the red shift light comes on and that seems to work pretty well. I think it comes on at 5600 rpm?

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was away from the thread for a day.....

Here are my times from my fastest run.
R/T--.012
60'--1.788
330--5.091
1/8--7.89
mph--90.45
1000--10.350
1/4--12.31
mph--118.003

60 ft times varied from 1.78 to 1.84. The car really hooked up ******* the launch. I would leave at about 3000 rpm's. But I could tell the motor was a little tight yet as the revs approached 6000. Dont get me wrong it was still pulling hard but not like it was at lower RPMS. Before each run I would do a 3000-3500 rpm dry burn out. Track temp on tuesday was 82 degrees.

Great lakes was fine with the car with the top up. I think they thought it might have been a hard one as when I went through tech, I tapped on the rigid portion of the top and they gave me the thumbs up. They actually looked harder at my SA2000 helmet.

If I were to go back now I feel I could do even better just from the standpoint of getting more used to the impressive acceleration and being able to concentrate more on the rest of the run.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve your 1/8 mile time is exellent, and your 60 foot is great to. Seems like you should have had a better 1/4 time.

Your 330 is also great proving that you have the second gear shift down pat.

After you get going off the line, at what point do you floor it, or do you just graduate into it? Are you power shifting?

I really like to learn as much from those doing as possible. I could just go out and keep trying different things, but why wear the car out, when others with the same car are doing it near perfectly.

Skip White

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was into it pretty hardoff the line as the tires were hooking pretty well. I did not power shift as the trans is still pretty tight and shifting can be notchy at times. I was just cautious enough to make sure I didn't miss a shift and watch the tach needle swing like my wipers on high.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man Steve, awesome run. The best I could muster was a 2.1 60 foot time. The experienced guy with the Z06 and stock tires was getting similar 60 foot times. The guys with All Wheel Drive in the Suburu's that were there were getting 1.8's for their best 60 foots, so either we ALL just sucked or the track conditions were horrible.

I remember launching from 1st and spinning as I got into it and thinking, "Holy shiit, I spin worse on this track than I do on the street!" No joke! And I was launching at 1500 to 2000 RPM at the high end and still spinning when I got into it and breaking the tires loose in my 2nd gear shift. This track is being closed down (sold) so I am guessin they are not putting any money into prep any more. I never saw them lay down any VHT (is that what it is called?) the whole time I was there, nor the last time I was at the track.

We just don't have good tracks around here. Everything we have is 1/8th mile with the exception of Fontana, but they run like once per month it seems and there are 500 cars when that happens and you get 3 runs in 8 hours (that is what I got last time.)

The Vegas track is supposed to be really good, but that's a 10 hour round trip drive and you're racing at elevation (couple thousand feet up) plus in the summer it is unbearable hot (triple digits.)

Why can't we have more tracks like you guys on the east coast? Ugh!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like the track conditions were crap.
I got notable improvements when I started spinning badly when hitting 2nd by shifting a little earlier (5,000RPM) so that it didn't just spin. But it does take some practice to find the "sweet spot" in shifting.

-Dean.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like the track conditions were crap.
I got notable improvements when I started spinning badly when hitting 2nd by shifting a little earlier (5,000RPM) so that it didn't just spin. But it does take some practice to find the "sweet spot" in shifting.

-Dean.

Thanks Dean, I think I will do that the next time and shift earlier to avoid this.

Manny

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

That is a really good time... I hope to get some miles on my car and then head back down to try and best my previous times.