06 coupe 1/4 mile results and tire upgrade question

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of taking the 06 coupe out for a few runs last week. My best time was a 12.4 @ 117 mph, with a 2.0 60 ft, with consistent mid to low 12 second passes. This was on a bone stock 06 coupe. My brother-in-law in a 06 Z06 with catback, intake, and shifter managed a best of 12.3 @ 121 mph with a 2.2 60 ft, he was running all kinds of 12 second passes. We are both track veterans with other cars but this was our first time down the strip with our new 06 toys.

I know now right away that I desperately need stickier rear tires. My 2.0 60 ft definately needs improvement. The run-flats just don't stick well at the track.

What tires have you guys tried out that have shown significant improvement in reduced 60 ft.? How are the Nitto Invo's compared to the Michelin PS2's? There is a significant price difference between them. Are the PS2's truely worth their price/performance? Any drag radials out there that will fit the 19X13 factory rear rim other than the Hoosier R and Hoosier A tires? Is there any anticipated soon-to-be-released tire for our stock rear rims?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lower your tire pressure next time, 1.8 60fts and 11.9 passes should be made in your car. You just need practice and dont launch hard off the line.

But if you want a better overall tire, the PS2 is great. Though I managed the same 60 fts on PS2's as I did on runflats. If you get too sticky of a tire, drag radial or something close, you will probably break things.

OP
OP
O

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried lowering the pressure to 24 lbs after the first 2 runs. Yea it was hot as hell at the track, mid 90's and high humidity here in South Florida. I couldn't get a better 60 ft. than a 2.0 seconds. Also, I noticed that no matter what I did, I couldn't use fourth gear at all down the 1/4 mile. By the time I'd be passing the marker, I'd be at the top of 3rd about to shift to fourth but not needing to.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have PS2's on my '06 Coupe and I think they're much better than the RunFlats. Not only are they quieter, better riding, and stickier (well, maybe no stickier in the Summer heat, but the rest of the year they are), but they're lighter than RunFlats as well..

My bud has an '04 and he managed 1.8 60's on RunFlats, but that was at Atco Raceway in NJ. They're somewhat famous for great track prep!:headbang: Enough so that he blew his rear on the line that day!:rolaugh:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as 1/4 mile, Id be happy with PS2's or runflats, doesnt really matter on a stock car. But for every day driving, the PS2's are awesome.
And as far as heat, it hurts your times alot. I ran a 12.5 @115mph in Vegas. Very HOT!!!
and I have ran at 124mph in the cold, so heat plays a big factor. Yet when I dont shift 3rd, my mph drops, cause Im bouncing off limiter as i cross line, but ran a better time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187