06' Rain Baffle Removal Question

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it worth it to remove the rain baffle from the hood?
Will it increase airflow and performance?
I have the S&B Filters with Corsa Track Cat-back exhaust.
If the gain isn't much, then I won't bother removing the rain baffle.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth it to remove the rain baffle from the hood?
Will it increase airflow and performance?
I have the S&B Filters with Corsa Track Cat-back exhaust.
If the gain isn't much, then I won't bother removing the rain baffle.

Have you used the search feature? I mean, the intelligent replies are really stacking up on this thread.

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll give it a try due to the unbelievable amount of reply's I have seen. :lmao: :rolaugh:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here's one: Would you value a clean engine compartment, especially after a rainy excursion or washing the Viper? Second, I believe the 8.3 is getting plenty of air as designed. It doesn't get all of its air just from the hood scoop. Take a close look and follow the path from all the openings into the air box when the hood is opened.

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, here's one: Would you value a clean engine compartment, especially after a rainy excursion or washing the Viper? Second, I believe the 8.3 is getting plenty of air as designed. It doesn't get all of its air just from the hood scoop. Take a close look and follow the path from all the openings into the air box when the hood is opened.
I am a clean freak so yes, I do value a clean engine compartment. That being said, I will leave the air baffle on. The reason why I posted this question is because I saw it mentioned on another post regarding a Gen2 and wondered what people's thought's were about the Gen3. Thank's for the reply. :2tu: :drive:

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the baffle out when I installed the k&N. I have no problems with a dirty engine compartment and the few times i have been in a rain storm, I have had no problems. Additionally when washing i simply put a towel in the hood intake. Simple.

With the deflector out, the filters get a direct shot of outside air. I think that is worth taking them out. Just me opinion anyway.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just carry a length of foam under your seat that you can wedge into the scoop opening if you're caught in the rain, or want to wash the car...

Removing the rain baffle on my Gen2 was worth .10 sec at the strip...

Why would one just automatically believe the way it is, is all you'd ever need?

---------------------------
1999GTS/2001 ACR
SVS short shifter for sale

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can remove the rain baffle as long as your air filters are oiled. Yes you will see and feel and increase in HP as you will be increasing the amount of air to the engine by 20% 25%. No it will not get your engine or engine compartment dirty in any way. No it will not let the engine ingest water as long as the filters are oiled. We have run without the baffle for over 18,000 miles in many downpours where one could hardly see the road and there was zero problems.

Hope this helps.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question but what does the rain baffle look like on a GenII? I know I haven't had my coffee yet this morning and I may be a little slow, but I've been staring at my GenII airbox for 20 mins and I don't see a rain baffle, just an enclosed airbox.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the V-shaped depression just behind the front of the airbox.

-------------------------------
1999GTS/2001ACR
SVS short shifter for sale-PM me

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the V-shaped depression just behind the front of the airbox.

Ah...did you remove the top cover or cut it up to just beyond the V? If you can post a pic, that'd be great. I've been thinking about doing this.

- Tony

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me its not worth the risk of getting water into the engine, even with an oiled filter. you wont get that much more air in, and in the SRT most of the intake air comes in through the grill opening anyway. Is it worth risking a $15,000 engine, or at least a $6,000-7,000 rebuild?????

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the risk...I don't drive in the rain. :D If/When I do, I'll put the baffle back on. :2tu:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I TOOK MINE OUT. IT'S GOOD FOR AT LEAST 25hp & 30TQ :bsm: :rolaugh: . Couldn't resist, Anyway I don't drive in the rain and common sense says it's in the way. Hell at least it will keep the air box cooler by getting more air into it at high speeds. The air box gets realy toasty with the fan blowing all the hot air at the bottom of it.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As shandon said, it has to have some benefit, no matter how minute it is.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hyjack...

So, those of you with oiled filters - I recently installed the K&N/smooth tube setup - quite a gap between the smooth tube and the airbox. Looks like lots of hot air (behind the radiator) can get sucked in.

I'm closing those gaps with some hi-density foam. I assume this has been talked about before - any tips?

Ron

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually insulated the airbox surface (inside) with some of dynomats engine compartment insulation to help with the boiling airbox problem. I did leave that space around the K&N smooth tube and airbox open so that air can enter and slowly exit out the back so that heat from trapped air didnt build up. I feel it worked well. My Air box is way way cooler even after sitting while running for a while.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

------------------------------
1999GTS/2001ACR
New SVS short shifter for sale

Last edited:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can seal up the area around the smooth tube and the upper and lower air box with PSA closed cell foam. As for removing the air baffle, if you lean back wards into the engine compartment and look inside the air scoop you will see 3 #1 Phillips screws holding the air baffle in place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang