06 SRT PS Pump Failures

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks - My car is having its third Power Steering pump put in this morning. I bought the car new and have owned it eight months. The factory installed pump failed out right, the dealer installed pump has a seal failure. We'll see how long number three lasts. Has any one else experienced this rate of failure on the power steering pump? I checked with Cuck Tator, no TSB's are on the street for these things.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have a tune that makes your fan come on sooner and have you changed your thermostat?

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PCM was reflashed and fan is coming on sooner. I still have the stock thermostat. These were not done prior to pump number 1 going though.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PCM was reflashed and fan is coming on sooner. I still have the stock thermostat. These were not done prior to pump number 1 going though.

I put the tune in without the thermostat and my power steering started to overheat - it vented fluid out of the cap plus I could hear that fan working over time. I changed the thermostat and have not had an issue since.

With out the lower temp thermostat, the fan will be going constantly in order to keep your coolant temp down....but the temp wont stay down because the stock thermostat is trying to keep the engine running at a higher temp.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In New Jersey, any repair made three times under warranty would make your car a "lemon", so you'd get a new 2008 as a replacement....but check your Virginia laws for applicability.

Regards,
Aaron