'06 SRTC engine blown w/ 6k miles???

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car has 6,216 miles, all stock, and I've owned it since new. I am a long time sports car enthusiast who keeps his vehicles (including sportbikes) in immaculate condition both mechanically and aesthetically.

So, we're on a recent drive with some other exotics and we start to hear a rattle, which seemed to come from the dash. Further down the road and it becomes apparent that it's from from the engine bay. We stop and, as luck would have it, Doug Levin is along with us and takes a listen. He says it sounds internal and that I should limp it home (which I do). We also checked the oil for metallic particles but everything looks fine.

Dealer says the engine needs to be replaced. Now, get this, they say it has no oil in it!!!!!!!! They want me to prove maintenance with receipts for oil changes.

I have no problem with them requesting receipts, I just hope I can find them. However, I do have a problem with them suggesting that it's somehow not covered under the warranty.

First, with only 6k miles, this is almost a new car. I'm very near to the recommended maintenance interval for non-daily drivers (the manual says that non-daily drivers are at 6k maintenance intervals). Second, I know I did an oil change at 3k miles (and one around 1,500 miles).... where did all the oil go??? Third, we would have noticed this on the side of the road.... again, where did all the oil go???

Has anyone had this experience? I've searched and read what I could about cylinder 3 and 4 failures and oil starvation, so it seems this is not entirely unique experience. But, how do I handle this with the dealer? Better yet, how do I convince them that this should be covered? What if I can't find the receipts? Isn't the engine defective if it eats 10 quarts of oil in 3k miles.... or 6k miles even?

Thanks in advance.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds to me that either you or somebody else screwed up badly by removing the oil and forgetting to put the new oil in the engine. If somebody else changed the oil, it is possible that some malicious lowlife never put the oil in, intentionally. Either this or the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. If I had to bet my life on it, I would bet that you screwed up big time.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How often do you check the oil? Never in over 3000 miles since your last oil change? It had to have oil in it after that last oil change.

There's NO WAY you were able to run 3000 miles without oil from whoever changed it. Your engine must have burned it out enough to trash itself over the time from your last oil change.

I change my own oil since I have heard of oil being left or loose oil filters by garage mechanics, plus I don't think most install the drain plug OR oil filter to the specified torque!

It is rare for me to need to add oil between my 6000 miles oil change intervals (no trips less than 10 miles) over the 40,000 miles my '04's been since it was bought new in '05, but I may have added 4 extra quarts over that 40,000+ miles.

If you had no oil you shouldn't have had any oil pressure and a warning light should alert you to check your gauges. If your oil level had gotten low you should have seen oil pressure fluctuations during cornering, braking, or acceleration. The gauges are not in the car for looks.

Good Luck.....

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly. These viper motors are VERY strong units. Even with heavy mods, they hold up well into the 6 digit mileage. The only possible way I cdould see a 6k mile, all stock motor failing. Is because of NO engine oil.. So, I do "buy" the claim made by the dealer...

The questions is, HOW.... Aside from all the obvious reasons "double filter ring",etc.. Did you hit anything that damaged the oil pan? Did the dealer see any impact at all? Did you see any leaks?

This is really an odd situation. Good luck in getting it resolved.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question: How did you check for metallic particles? I presume by looking at the oil on the dipstick. Does that not mean you had oil?

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car has 6,216 miles, all stock, and I've owned it since new. I am a long time sports car enthusiast who keeps his vehicles (including sportbikes) in immaculate condition both mechanically and aesthetically.

So, we're on a recent drive with some other exotics and we start to hear a rattle, which seemed to come from the dash. Further down the road and it becomes apparent that it's from from the engine bay. We stop and, as luck would have it, Doug Levin is along with us and takes a listen. He says it sounds internal and that I should limp it home (which I do). We also checked the oil for metallic particles but everything looks fine.

Dealer says the engine needs to be replaced. Now, get this, they say it has no oil in it!!!!!!!! They want me to prove maintenance with receipts for oil changes.

I have no problem with them requesting receipts, I just hope I can find them. However, I do have a problem with them suggesting that it's somehow not covered under the warranty.

First, with only 6k miles, this is almost a new car. I'm very near to the recommended maintenance interval for non-daily drivers (the manual says that non-daily drivers are at 6k maintenance intervals). Second, I know I did an oil change at 3k miles (and one around 1,500 miles).... where did all the oil go??? Third, we would have noticed this on the side of the road.... again, where did all the oil go???

Has anyone had this experience? I've searched and read what I could about cylinder 3 and 4 failures and oil starvation, so it seems this is not entirely unique experience. But, how do I handle this with the dealer? Better yet, how do I convince them that this should be covered? What if I can't find the receipts? Isn't the engine defective if it eats 10 quarts of oil in 3k miles.... or 6k miles even?

Thanks in advance.

Why are you listed as an enthusiast and not a VCA member :dunno:!

Shame on you.:omg:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We stop and, as luck would have it, Doug Levin is along with us and takes a listen. He says it sounds internal and that I should limp it home (which I do). We also checked the oil for metallic particles but everything looks fine.
Dealer says the engine needs to be replaced. Now, get this, they say it has no oil in it!!!!!!!!

What do you mean that you checked the oil ? Do you mean Doug Levin checked the oil for metallic particles? He would be your expert witness when asking the dealership, "What do you mean there was no oil in the engine?"

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you checked the oil for particles, it had to have oil in it...Right?

Then how could the dealer say it had no oil in it? I would have anyone that was with me on the ride (that saw the oil - Doug?) vouch that you checked it for particles, etc. and it HAD OIL IN IT.

Good luck!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id call doug levin and see what he says. the dealers there know him and his rep. it wont hurt.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you find the receipts. This is the only reason I don't change my own oil while the car is still under warranty. If my crap breaks, I want a paper trail of maintenance records.

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Which dealership did you bring it to.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume it had to have oil in it since "we checked for particles" but did you pick oil back in once you checked the oil for particles. So did you drain the oil, check it for particles and then have it towed to the dealership without putting oil back in it?

OP
OP
S

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At this point, I have no idea to what extent the dealer's statement "the engine has no oil" is valid. It must have some oil, because there is no way the engine would have perfect temps and pressure from all the guages. And yes, I do check oil on a regular basis; yes, the engine had oil after the last change; yes, I am always keeping an eye on my guages; no, there is no oil under the car, in the garage, or any evidence of any leak. The only explanation is the engine burning through it in 3k miles, which seems quite odd to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang