06 Z06 vs. SRT

riwracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:
Since I own both of these cars, I would like to add my personal info about this matchup.
The best I have run with either car is exactly 11.9 .... both at DeSoto Speedway.
Both cars are stock, and I am a very average driver. I can't imagine that the 100 more horsepower in the SRT '08 that I have coming will not have a significant difference in times.
I have a black with red stripe SRT with red and black interior, vert , arriving any day :2tu:. Will keep you posted and will send pics.

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say in the real world the cars are about evenly matched. My buddy has an 06 Z06 w/ exhaust. I have an 04 SRT with exhaust and more importantly 3.55s. Im catless as well. Had 2 runs this weekend. Both cars had a passenger and driver/passenger weights were comparable. Results were SRT pulled Z06 by about 1 car from 40-140. Same for both passes. So evenly matched that the pull could have been due to the jump at the 3rd horn or anything really. I do think the 3.55 rear gears made the difference though.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I also had both and still have a Z06 and I am awaiting a 08 ACR. I have a lot of drag racing experience and in my case the Z06 was about 10 to 12mph faster and over a second faster in the 1/4 mile and will run away from any stock 500 hp SRT. If your stock SRT is running with Z06's you can rest assure those are non-drivers in the Z06!

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I also had both and still have a Z06 and I am awaiting a 08 ACR. I have a lot of drag racing experience and in my case the Z06 was about 10 to 12mph faster and over a second faster in the 1/4 mile and will run away from any stock 500 hp SRT. If your stock SRT is running with Z06's you can rest assure those are non-drivers in the Z06!

so your stock z06 was trapping 132-134mph in the 1/4 mile?:crazy2:

:leave:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so your stock z06 was trapping 132-134mph in the 1/4 mile?:crazy2:

:leave:

No but your Stock Viper wasn't trapping 122 to 124 either! My SRT was running between 118 and 120 mph in the 1/4 mile with 12.2 ets. Have you had your SRT at the track or are you just reading magazines?

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No but your Stock Viper wasn't trapping 122 to 124 either! My SRT was running between 118 and 120 mph in the 1/4 mile with 12.2 ets. Have you had your SRT at the track or are you just reading magazines?

In case some here don't know,Jamie is the first guy to put a stock Z06 on stock rubber into the 10's.......he knows of what he speaks. I'm a novice racer at best & I ran an 11.51 my first time down the track in the Z06. I doubt my Viper will fare as well,but I'll sure have fun trying.

I just got my 06 SRT,and yes it's slower than the Z06....Do I care? Not in the least. There's a heck of a lot more to a sports car than just speed. I much prefer the driving experience of the Viper.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have come across a few Z's in my area. My wife and I walked a black z06 from a roll on, when I reached 140 mph I had him by about 5 cars, and I let him punch first. Then, two nights ago a highly modded Mitsu Evo pulled up beside me. I had a 185 lb passenger w/ me. I took him lightly, let him punch first and didnt catch the bastard until the top of second gear due to spinning tires...

There are several factors w/ these cars. The stock Z is faster than a stock Gen 3 w/ most drivers, that argument has been beat to death for the last 2 years. But the Gen 4 has changed all that.

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Actually I just picked up this white mamba last November and haven’t had a chance to drive it yet (Chicago weather)...

However, I have seen multiple SRT10s run 121-123traps at the track. I may even have a video of a blk SRT running a 123trap when I took my stock E55 to the track and ran a 118mph trap.
There was a thread which lists SRT10 owners and there best stock times. There were 2 or 3 SRT owners listed that posted 124mph traps in their 04' vipers...

BTW: magazines are full of *#*$*!...

Last edited:

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found that video I took of a stock SRT10 running 123mph trap and my stock E55 running 118mph trap...
[media]http://srika.com/garage/gld2.wmv[/media]

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

10 to 12mph faster in the 1/4 mile? Are you high? I have a$$ whipped 2 different Z06's with my SRT and maybe I did things better than my opponents. Even if this was the case, there is no way in hell that they are 10mph faster in the 1/4 mile. By the way, I also blew away a Z06 with my '68 vette and that was even more of a blowout than the SRT whoopings were. I am willing to lock my '68 vette's axle to yours in your Z06 (with a steel chain) and pull in opposite directions. It would be a glorious method of weight removal for your Z06 and I could use the rear clip for a planter in my backyard, to commemorate my Z06 slayings.

Last edited:

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jamie, your Z06 is very special. After 8 Gen 3 Vipers, and 2 '06 Z's, and one '07 Z...my numbers are not close to yours. The best I have run in the Z is 11.6. Best Viper time 11.73. Now...I may not be the driver you are, but after over 35 years of 1320 runs, I'm not bad. The C6Z will beat the Gen 3 most of the time. That old power to weight thing...and the gears don't hurt either. But not by a second (normally)...and not by 10-12 MPH. (normally). You have a very rare Z. Every mag comparison I have seen on the Z and Gen 3 gives the Z the nod by .1 to .4 in time, and normally, about 4mph. That is consistant with my personal experience. The Gen 4 Viper will beat the Z...at least mine will, and every head to head compo I have seen to date. Again, you have a very special Z, and are a very good driver. Congrats!.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

:rolleyes:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just have to chime in here......I'm just happy when I drive home, put the car in the garage, and know that it's a Viper and not just a Vette. My S/C'd 05 is ALL I'll ever need as far as hp, being a rare, very seldom seen car on the street, and I could give a flip is there's a faster "vette" out there. If a car with the same stock hp, lower gears, and 225 less lbs won't beat a Viper in the quarter mile, well, I don't need to say any more. As stated this has been beaten to death over the last 2 years. I've owned both vette's and 2 Vipers. NO COMPARISON! Some vette is faster, many, many are MUCH slower. Build quality, again, no comparison, the vette's paint is horrible, and the fit and finish is terrible compared to the Viper. (My associate bought a new vette (08), and I was not impressed what-so-ever. It's run of the mill at best with it's so called fit and finish. If someone is a vette fan, I have absolutely no problem with it. My associate is a vette guy through and through, and I still have a great friend. I even bought him a vette emblemed coat for his birthday, and he loved it, and wears it in the "winter" here in Arizona. However, he was so disappointed in his new car, he has stated to me a number of times......"I should have bought the Viper! I see vettes EVERYWHERE, and people don't even know I'm driving one, it's just like being in another everyday car." That's from a tried and true vette owner. Go to the strip with your vette, run in the 10's completely "bone stock" (Ya right), and then drive it home and it's still a vette. Nice car, yes, but not a Viper.......never will be even close to the mystique of the Viper, and it will continue to be the car you should drive if you want to blend in with all the other cars in traffic. It's a great commuter car! I guess I feel a little better now.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenneth, your post damn near brought a tear to my eye. Like a work of art, it illustrated the trials and tribulations of life, with just a sprinkle of sadness at the end. Reality can be sad for some (especially dominated vette owners). It has to be ******* them; just has to be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi