08 Power steering noise?

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My power steering makes a buzzing noise on sharp right hand turns. It sounds like the pressure limit valve. Three times on long road trips when I stop for gas and come to a stop at the pump it it buzzing constantly. After shutting down and restarting the buzz is gone. The steering feels fine, wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Could it be the rack or pump? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Len

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My power steering makes a buzzing noise on sharp right hand turns. It sounds like the pressure limit valve. Three times on long road trips when I stop for gas and come to a stop at the pump it it buzzing constantly. After shutting down and restarting the buzz is gone. The steering feels fine, wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Could it be the rack or pump? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Len

I'm assuming you've checked the fluid level and it's OK. Probably needs to go into the dealer for a look.

OP
OP
S

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks,
The fluid level is good. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? Maybe not cause havn't seen any other posts that are similar?
Len

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 has been making a weird buzzing/vibrating/semi grinding noise on right hand turns as of late.Not all the time but is usually associated with tighter turns.I've also been wondering what it is.It's strange it doesn't seem to happen on similar kinds of left turns.

OP
OP
S

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's a few of us with the same issue, sure there is more out there.
Mark have you come across this at the dealership??
Would like to find out as much as possible befor I bring it in.

Thanks, Len

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine does it too at right turns,its a problem that chrysler has-its a service bullitain on the minivans,they say on the vans to replace the resivior and cooler-if that doesnt work then replace the rack and pump.:omg:what a fun exspensive guessing game-i would leave the car alone for now-its not hurting anything

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine did "grunt" a bit when I first got it... The reservoir at the right temp and cornering force was actually letting the fluid slosh in the reservoir cup enough to allow air into the pump.

What fixed it was to make sure the level was full to the max line... which kept the air from reaching the inlet port of the reservoir during the turn.

Now it does't make any groan/grunting noise on those sharp snap right turns. No big expense fix.

Actually I cheated and went a bit over the max line to get it completely silent, but that makes the reservoir "weep" a bit when I get things good and hot. I will probably lower the level for track days... but for street driving I like it quiet.

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I notice that mine makes a noise sometimes when I make a turn. I thought I was the only one.
Just out of curiousity, what are your build dates? mine is june 08.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My build date is May 08.I also noticed,but it may be normal,I don't know,that when you start the car,the fluid in the reservoir percolates.It doesn't seem to form bubbles,but it's constantly moving around.When car is up to operating temperature it seems to stop.
The fluid level seems to be slightly below max before starting the car,but rises to the max line after car warms up.I'm thinking of trying Roadrunner's suggestion of adding a little more fluid to see if it helps.

Last edited:

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday,when my vehicle was cold,I topped up my reservoir with fluid.I filled it to a tad above the max line.Went for a spirited drive for 90 minutes and the car did not make the noise once or leak fluid.I am cautiously optimistic this may have solved the problem.I will retest later tonight as a follow up to make sure and report back.

Skeeter Blanton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My early 08 has been in the shop 3 times for the same noise plus the PW hose vibrates like crazy and makes a harmonic drone that is louder than the engine....SRT came and replaced everything and the drone is louder than ever and still makes the noise on right turns........

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just returned from a 2hr cruise in my vehicle.It did not make the "noise" again today.I am hoping this extra fluid cure will permanently remedy the situation.A few more drives will probably totally convince me.Now,to tackle the instrument bezel vibration and mild brake squeal.

OP
OP
S

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Added some PS fluid a little over the full mark and went for drive. It seems to have done the trick but would also like to drive a couple more times to be 100% sure.

Thanks Roadrunner for the suggestion.:2tu:
Len

Last edited:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY '09 also makes a noise only on right hand turns. Does not happen often. Mentioned it to Tator when he serviced the car. Of course we could not duplicate the noise. Sounds like a grinding noise. Only on right turns. He mentioned the steering column is enclosed with a 'wrap' or sleeve'?? but that it looked normal. The fluid is also normal, although not above the max line. Noise still happens but very infrequent.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just returned from another 90 minute drive and still no noise.Very pleasing.Again tried to induce the grind but it did not happen.

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem on right turns also. Grinding noise. Not all the time but more so when its a sharp turn. Happy to see others have the same problem and its a design issue rather than "my car" issue. I have avoided bringing it in because more can go wrong than good when that happens. I will try the extra fluid and see if that resolves it. Thanks for the tip.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Servo fluid for 2008 is what? Don't have the service manual yet...

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner's manual has the specs for which fluids to use.I don't have it at my fingertips right now but I remember it was a particular power steering fluid or ATF+4 transmission fluid.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 things can cause this - cavitation & the steering being in "bypass".

Cavitation:
Air in the lines - fluid too low.

System in "bypass" - when you turn a wheel to "lock" the full volume/pressure is "bypassed" back to the reservoir to prevent you from bursting your pump output hose (high pressure line) to the rack. This is normal on all PS equipped cars. It can occur at "lock" or very close to it. You can also install a PS filter if you're feeling froggy (see my albums). I'll be putting one on the ACR soon.

Yes - the ACR barks a little when at or close to lock.

Just my 2 cents.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I "overfilled" the steering fluid a little bit above max line with a defoamer fluid especially made for the steering my ViperTech recommended.

Noise is gone!

Can post a pic of the bottle later. Made in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets