'09 coupe for sale

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, try selling yours and you will see for yourself... the above 2009 Gen 4 can't sell for even $65K and that looks like "good" resale value?

If you read my last comment..I believe I just answered your question. But if you still don't get it..let me explain: The average guy doesn't have 65k cash in his pocket to buy a Viper and banks don't like to deal with private sellers due to the fact that there is very little protection for the buyer and the lender should problems arise during the business transaction..So that leaves you with 2 options. You can either hold out and hope and pray that someone comes along with enough cash in hand to buy your car. Or you end up selling it for much less than it's worth....And yes!...Those are very sad options...When dealing with rare or exotic cars, the dealerships have the edge because bankers prefer to work with dealerships instead of private sellers... Hope this helps..

Last edited:

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet Ford GTs trade hands every day from private sellers to private sellers for $30K-$50K+++ over the original MSRP without fail. It is an issue of supply and demand, simple economics. The Viper simply isn't a car that is much in demand. If it were, the prices would be higher and cars would sell regardless if banks lend money or not, because there will always be people out there with money to spend, given the right product. Try buying a Heritage Edition FGT and see what it will cost you for a like new, unmolested car? That is what I am talking about. There is no Viper out there, with the exception of the Almighty Bob Lutz' 0001 car that will ever sell for more than it's original MSRP.
PERIOD...end of story. Vipers don't retain their value...get it yet?

Treviso

P.S. Not that I don't love Vipers. I do...I have owned 3 of them and still have my 2010 Gen 4 Vert GTS Blue/White Stripes that I picked up at the Conner Ave. Plant. Great car. Unfortunately, it is depreciating in value faster than a scud missile.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound like this isn't known, but the Gen. V is almost in the dealer showrooms.

Why buy a Gen. IV at this stage of the game? Prices could easily drop another $10K if there is a sudden sell off by the most likely Gen. V buyers (Gen. IV owners). I know we all say if a Gen. IV drops to $50K I'll buy five, but in reality, there are already more Gen. IV vipers on the market then buyers. Your car is a perfect example that even for a low mileage, known VCA member car with a reduced price, people aren't biting. In addition, the Gen. IV is hitting the same pricing trend that the Gen. IIIs hit when the Gen. IVs came out and the Gen. III's were a couple of years old.

If the pricing for the new one comes out higher than expected, $125K for the base SRT and $150K for the GTS, then your car will have some extra value. But with the response, i think people are waiting to see where the prices for the new Gen. V will be set and then how the market for the Gen. IV reacts.

As far as buyers, any credit union will give the average 700+ FICA borrower a 3.5% loan for 100% of the KBB.com retail price for any car 1994 or newer. So I don't think financing is the problem.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Financing is not a problem. The car books just fine. In my own opinion it has to do with the "personal" modifications, color and timing more than anything. This is nothing new.
I strongly believe the aftermarket wing and splitter (non ACR) and roll bar and stripes make this a very personal sale. You need a buyer who wants these items. Items such as filters and exhaust are pretty basic and impersonal. Items such as a roll bar with door bars, and non ACR body pieces narrow your target audience.

If this was a stock car, same miles, no bar/stripes/wing/splitter, that and if the car was one of the 2008+ eye popping colors it would be sold already for more than 65k.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet Ford GTs trade hands every day from private sellers to private sellers for $30K-$50K+++ over the original MSRP without fail. It is an issue of supply and demand, simple economics. The Viper simply isn't a car that is much in demand. If it were, the prices would be higher and cars would sell regardless if banks lend money or not, because there will always be people out there with money to spend, given the right product. Try buying a Heritage Edition FGT and see what it will cost you for a like new, unmolested car? That is what I am talking about. There is no Viper out there, with the exception of the Almighty Bob Lutz' 0001 car that will ever sell for more than it's original MSRP.
PERIOD...end of story. Vipers don't retain their value...get it yet?

Treviso

P.S. Not that I don't love Vipers. I do...I have owned 3 of them and still have my 2010 Gen 4 Vert GTS Blue/White Stripes that I picked up at the Conner Ave. Plant. Great car. Unfortunately, it is depreciating in value faster than a scud missile.

You can't compare a Viper to a Ford GT cause they're in two different leagues. I'm pretty sure if you check the stock portfolios of the average buyer that can afford a Ford GT then you will see that this buyer is anything but average, in fact he's probably already rich, so he doesn't need a bank to help him finance his car..Which proves my previous point; the average guy is not walking around with enough cash to buy that car. The demand for the Viper is there, but it's hindered by the buyers finances and the banks unwillingness to deal with private sellers or older Vipers. I think you missed the whole point of this thread, The Ford GT is a super exotic car which has a market for rich guys who don't need to deal with banks. This thread is about an average guy trying to sell an above average sports car to average guys. I can guarantee you that if his car was sold at a dealership; it would've been sold months ago for book value cause banks prefer to deal with dealerships instead of private sellers...

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is about an average guy trying to sell an above average sports car to average guys. I can guarantee you that if his car was sold at a dealership; it would've been sold months ago for book value cause banks prefer to deal with dealerships instead of private sellers...

I am an average guy. I was loaned the money I requested to buy my '08 from a private seller with no issue. I had the check the same day I requested it. As a matter of fact, the other '08 Viper that is at a dealer locally, for the same asking price as mine, was and has been for sale for a long time.

Your argument is flawed. These cars book just fine. The money is there to loaned to those qualified buyers.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As started in my earlier comments..I stated most banks ( as in most commercial banks ) don't like to deal with private sellers... Hey if you were one of the lucky ones to get a loan from a bank for a private seller..Then Great!...But in most instances..that's not the case; I know cause I'm talking from experience. But if you have a better theory on why his car isn't being sold then I'd sure like to hear it..

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Financing is not a problem. The car books just fine. In my own opinion it has to do with the "personal" modifications, color and timing more than anything. This is nothing new.
I strongly believe the aftermarket wing and splitter (non ACR) and roll bar and stripes make this a very personal sale. You need a buyer who wants these items. Items such as filters and exhaust are pretty basic and impersonal. Items such as a roll bar with door bars, and non ACR body pieces narrow your target audience.

If this was a stock car, same miles, no bar/stripes/wing/splitter, that and if the car was one of the 2008+ eye popping colors it would be sold already for more than 65k.

I agree with this.....and to the owner ----GLWS, it will happen.

Bill

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At any rate, whether or not you and I are right or wrong really doesn't matter. The main problem is that Vipers are under appreciated really great cars that more people need to discover for themselves. They are a bargain both new and used and meant to be driven and appreciated for the beasts that they are. I have loved every Viper I have owned, unfortunately I couldn't keep them all when wanting to try and buy other cars. I did keep my 2010 Gen 4 Vert GTS Blue/White Stripes that I don't think I will ever sell. Enjoy:)

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh what the heck Brake (you said you'd consider a trade for an ACR & cash) I'll go ahead & trade my Creampuff ACR (A Clean Ride) & some cash, How Much do I need to come up with. Lol!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi