1/4 mile times

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my first ime racing (legally) will be friday night. what should i expect to run in 1/4 mile? im not a pro and my mods (minimal) are listed. should i expect low 12's?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
work on the 60 foot time, it's crucial.

get that baby under 2.0 seconds and things will happen!

My first run ever I missed 4th gear completely, and coasted thru the traps with a 12.4 at 108, 2.0x 60 foot. Next time out have the MPH up to 119 where it should be, but the times are still in the 12.4 range, cruddy 2.3x 60 foots though, trying again on Monday to see what happens.

Post what happens, interested to know!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RDUSTMAN,

Slip the cluch briskly while depressing gas to the floor to minimize wheel spin shift aroung 5500 and closer to 5000 inot 4th with your gears you should see high 11 sec pass. Have Fun!!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, don't worry too much about your reaction time. Just concentrate on keeping your revs where you want them and get a good launch. Even if your reaction time is 2 seconds who cares, you are trying to see what your car will do.

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night was my first time at New England Dragway. I was the only Viper there, and it was both embarassing and satisfying. For my first time out, I was hoping to make a 2 seconds 60 foot time and an ET of 13 seconds. My RT/10 was supposed to do 12.6 @ 113 back some 25,000 miles ago when it was new. I added a Corsa Catback, RT High Flows and smooth intake tubes to compensate for the age, but...

First pass was against a Neon. I didn't feel too threatened until I was watching his taillights get smaller. I spun my tires for a few seconds and made a 2.85 second 60' time. Yuck! As if that wasn't bad enough, I then proceeded to completely miss 2nd gear right in front of the stands! I beat the Neon, but just barely with an ET of 14.928 and a trap speed of 103. Like I said, very embarassing.

I got back in line, all upset at myself, and of course everyone and their brother was asking how I ran. I realized that I hadn't let any air out of the tires, so I set the rears to 25 pounds from the 32 they had been set to, hoping that this would fix my woes. When I finally got up to the staging area, the people in charge had moved a GT-something up beside me so that it would be a 'fair fight'. The car was an orange-yellow color with lots of lights, wings, flares, tire, wheels, exhaust, etc. Just what I needed (sarcasm). I tried not to spin too much, but the other guy was already out in front by a few car lengths in no time. I concentrated on getting the revs up to 5000 before shifting. I concentrated on making each shift a good one. I was playing catch-up and I realized it would be a close finish, that's for sure!

My final time was 12.91 @ 111.51. I had beaten my personal target of 13 seconds, so I felt good about that. I had also hit my 2.0 second target for the 60 foot time, so another good thing. Finally, I realized that 'the other guy' had run a 13.147, so one last good thing had occurred.

All in all, loads of fun. I'm sure this time sounds like crap to many of you out there, but for my first time out, I rode home feeling pretty d&mn good. Now, I just need to work on my reaction time, my traction, my shifting, my trap speed, etc., etc., etc.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil,

Good runs!!! the 12's for a GenI car is nothing to be ashamed of.

One of our local guys, Bill, was running LOW 12's in his pretty-much-stock RT/10. I think he hit a 12.3.

I run at NED all the time... a few tips

1) Always get the right lane - it's better prepped than the left by far
2) Work on the shifts - if you shift really really quick, you should pick up 2-3mph
3) Unless you are running any day but Saturday/Sunday, the track will ****. If you launch above 1800RPM, you will spin. You should try launching around 2,000 and using judicious amounts of clutch
4) Definitely shift into 4th if you aren't already... it will be good for a few more MPH
5) NEVER LET THE MUSTANGS AND CORVETTES WIN!! WAR SLOW SPORTS CARS!
supergrin.gif

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey rdustman,

Here's a question that will benefit us both in 1320' times.......

When shifting through the gears, I was told to never let up on the accelerator.. Is this true ??

Thanks !!

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
When shifting through the gears, I was told to never let up on the accelerator.. Is this true ??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Definitely if the car is still under warranty.

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what if he missed a 1-2 shift !! Your telling you never missed a shift in your life ?! Going to the track is for fun not just winning
smile.gif
So what if he lost to a neon or was gonna lose lol.. Its all about having fun doesnt matter if you win or lose
smile.gif

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil,

It sounds like you did quite well, and hit all of your goals!
It is tough seeing some seasoned drivers hitting 11s in a nearly stock Gen II car, and I'm excited and apprehensive myself about going out to the track, concerned that I'll blow it horribly.

But my experience of drag racing in my previous Corvette is that even if you can't hit the magic 1/4 mile numbers of some of the expert drivers on the forum, it is a blast to try the car on the track, where it's totally legal (and even encouraged) to drive fast!

Practice is the key to good times. I myself am hoping for low to mid 12s around 117MPH for my first time out.

-Dean.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if you can make a run without competition. I was able to do this a few times during my first track day. No chance of losing.
supergrin.gif
I then proceeded to make toast out of a Mustang that dared to challenge me.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
alexredsnake; just an observation here; you post some harsh words often, were you beat up alot in highschool? no offense, just a thought based upon, as i said, observation. oh, and thnx to all others for stories and input. like i said, ive never had my viper on a track, many bikes and other cars but this should be a fun first time

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
Hey rdustman,

Here's a question that will benefit us both in 1320' times.......

Thanks !!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutley not! never never never! I hightly doubt there are any people out there who truly powershift their Viper. If you are really wringing the car out, you cannot powershift it. You will be shifting well over 5,500RPM. In the time it takes you to shift, if you stay in the gas, not only will you bang the rev limiter, but you will also cause the whole transmission to torque to the side when you push the clutch in, and you WILL miss the shift and bang into the gate.

The quickest way in the viper is to speed shift. Let off the gas a LITTLE (like 1/4 of the way), shift, and get RIGHT back on it. It takes a bit of practice... but you will find all the quick drivers do not power shift - they speed shift.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first time to the track was pretty funny. I had never driven on a drag strip before and was a little anxious. My friends had always told me that that the drag strips have a lot more traction than the street so I figured that a 3000 rpm clutch drop would be about right. Haha, I almost did a doughnut off of the track. I laid way off the throttle to regain traction and slowly worked my way up to 2nd gear where I figured that I had enough traction to floor it. Nope. Not a good idea. I almost went off the track again. Now granted, the track was a bit slippery that day but that was a bad run. I think I had a 13.9 at 114. I never ran faster than a 13.3 all day. Not a bad trap for a Gen I but the e.t. was pretty bad. My next experience at the track was at palmdale which is a pretty slow track because of the altitude. My first race was against a ACR with headers and slicks. Man, I thought I was going to get creamed. Right out of the hole I was behind. Those big slicks hooked up and I was looking at tail lights. Once I hit second, I was doing better... not winning or anything, but I was not losing as quickly. Third gear seemed a bit like warp speed on the enterprise. I reeled in that ACR like he was standing still. Go Gen I power!! Picking up the time slip, I saw I ran a 13.1 at 107 (high altitude, remember). Not bad for a Gen I at 3000 feet I guess. Greg, the driver of the ACR, and I talked a bit after the race. Apparently he had missed 3rd. So that's where my warp drive came from... the other guy basically hitting the brakes. Hey, a win is a win and I was happy.

So how many miles do I need to put on a GTS before I can bring it to the track?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdustman:
alexredsnake; just an observation here; you post some harsh words often, were you beat up alot in highschool? no offense, just a thought based upon, as i said, observation. oh, and thnx to all others for stories and input. like i said, ive never had my viper on a track, many bikes and other cars but this should be a fun first time
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way man. He is super cool. Read the thread about him peeling out infront of his Dad's house because Daddy scratched his car (which was most likely bought by Dad in the first place)

I ask you, would someone who got beat up in H.S. wear a shirt like that?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdustman:
my first ime racing (legally) will be friday night. what should i expect to run in 1/4 mile? im not a pro and my mods (minimal) are listed. should i expect low 12's?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on you. I'm not the best driver either but I do okay. I wouldn't be surprised if you ran mid 12's with the mods that you have (12.3 or 12.4), with the ability to run high 11's with some seat time. Just my opinion based on your post & mods. Let us all know how you do. Good luck!
BURNOUT.gif

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Definitely if the car is still under warranty.

hahahahahahahahaha
laughing2[1].gif

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I ?

Guys, if you're running basic stock Vipers, and I'm assuming you are, #1 rule is do NOT run any gear past 5,800 / 6,000 RPM. This is your maximum HP / torque curve. I know, you "think" your still pulling, the car is telling you NOT to shift yet, your guts are telling you it aint time, BUT it IS! Really, it truly is! When the tach hits, "57/58" "SPEED" shift the next gear!

Our Snakes are anywhere from 500 to 1000 lbs. lighter than your Snakes, but the power curve is the same!

11.01 @ 128.00 mph W/1.51- 60'--- should have put us in the 10's!Still can't figure that one out. With the 60' time, we sure didn't waste any time spinning at the tree!

Just a guy that loves all kinds of Snakes.
DV

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hear a lot of talk about watching the tach and shifting at certain points. went out to great lakes last year for the first time and ran 12.2's all day long with slightly below average 60's. not once did i look at my tach. if you know your car you can hear or feel when your engine's ready for a shift. think i coulda hit some flat 12's if i didn't break a ------ ½ shaft. will be out there again soon. i posted my time slips here awhile back if ya wanna check em out.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flyin Phil:
Thanks! Great post! I've road raced and autocrossed. Actually never gone 1/4 mile. Thinkin....bout....it. You're post was fun to read, especially admitting to the mistakes (I personally have never missed a shift
rolleyes.gif
).

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

That's my point exactly! It "feels right!" I've raced for 30 plus years by the "seat of the pants", and did quite well with that system. Actually it was one of the Factory Viper guys that whispered the above suggestions in my ear.

He told me to put the car on a mobile Dyno, which we had already done, read my torque curve, then shift accordingly. It took a little practice but we dropped .2 almost immediately. With practice we dropped .3.

In fact I was so impressed with the results, I have now rotated my tach so that 6K is at high noon! As soon as I see the needle pointing straightup, I hammer it.

Of course it's up to you, maybe by chance that IS where you are shifting. It's just a suggestion, but if you are going high on the RPM scale and you're running 12.2's, (very respectable by the way) I think you are assured to hit the 11's!

DV...just 2 more cents worth

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte