1-4 Skip Shift Elimination..

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under the "How-to" section, this shows how to disable this annoying feature on a 1994 Viper. I have a 2002. Is the procedure still the same?

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when the yellow light shows up on the dash, it normally forces you into 4th gear, correct? This seems like the speed is too low to go into 4th...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it was put in to meet federal fuel regulations. It's not that big of deal. You're just putzin' around in a parking lot, it really doesn't matter what gear you're in. If you want with a little practice you can trick it and go into second.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under what conditions does the skip shift mechanism turn off? i.e. at what RPM or speed does 2nd gear become available?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under what conditions does the skip shift mechanism turn off? i.e. at what RPM or speed does 2nd gear become available?

Im not sure of the exact #'s, but it doesnt take a whole lot more pressure on the gas to get 2nd available. I've had my car for over a year and never had to do the 1-4 shift. I just give it a *little* more gas and 2nd opens up

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had several skip shift GM cars, and I always do the mod ... But I've noticed with the Viper, I never actually see the light or get forced to go 1-4. Not like I'm hot rodding it, but I can only remember once (in a parking lot) having it kick me from 1st to 4th.

Mike M

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of shifting, does anyone have a Cognac shift knob that isn't worn? Mine is showing signs of wear...

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, for reason, when my shiftlight comes on, it locks out 2nd gear, but when I try shift it into ANY gear, it just makes a nasty grinding sound. anyone have this problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery