$1,800.00 Chrome Exhaust Tips!!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just a friendly note to the group. A couple of months ago I had a set of Corsa Track Exhausts installed. They added some power, as advertised, and made the car sound much more aggressive, borderline loud. They also expanded a bunch when hot and touched my side sill openings. This was a constant issue.

The real problem was when I added my new set of headers and hi flow cats. These Corsa's, in combination with the new headers / cats WERE EXTREMELY LOUD. So loud that when I phoned the shop to see if the car was ready, they said I had better listen the them before I came to pick up my car, as it was now F---ing loud! (Picture the Porsche Turbo Cayene commercial). After hearing the car on the phone, I asked the guys what they could do. They pulled one half of the Corsas and installed Dynomax mufflers. It's still louder than I would really like, but it also sounds and runs realllly strong.

I'll probably pull the other Corsa mufflers in a couple of weeks. This will leave me with an $1,800.00 pair of Corsa chrome exhaust tips. I'm writing this in hopes that no one else makes this mistake.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Alex,

They're noted in my mods.

Dan

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DJ, you have a different muffler on each side? Sure would be a good time to have someone drive briskly by while you listen to each side of it. It would be nice to know what others think of the sound. When I did mine I had some people listen as drove by them at w.o.t.

I know what you mean by loud. I'm going to experiment with different muffler styles and length's. I guess your only running a total of two cats. Sometimes I wish mine was not as loud. I think the exhaust sound should be more in tune with the engine's sound.

I'll bet you like the W.O.T. sound. That's gotta be the most wicked sound I've ever heard. Comes on instantly.

Skip White

The headers have got to be contributing to this

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just recently ordered the Corsa Track system. I am concerned about how loud it will be. My viper is my daily driver and there are times that I like things quite. Interestingly on my street rod, I can change the flow from straight through or go through the muffler. I find that on some days I like it toned down and some days like it open and really loud. I find the same thing when I ride my V-Rod, though I can not change the pipes, but some days I love the sound and some days its too loud. I searched through the archives to read what people have said about the sound level, some love it, some don't, opinions always very. I am planning on installing them this weekend, so I guess I will find out.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Skip,

I have the same set up on both sides. One Corsa, one Dynomax and one high flow cat per side. (Know anyone who wants two Corsa mufflers? - soon it will likely be four!)

And yes, WOT is awesome and the car runs very strong (490 rwhp/ 517 rwtq with 3.55 gears and K&N's). I just wish cruising and normal acceleration were quieter and without resonance. Going uphil under a load at 2500 rpm creates incredidble resonance / vibration. This is more of a problem than the volume. I set off 3 car alarms today just by driving past these cars at about 35 mph in 3rd gear!

I'll work on this and find a solution, cause I love to drive this car.

PS: Ate a modded GTO last night and a 97 blue and white GTS today. Ate a modded Cobra on Saturday morning. He was really surprised how easily I pulled away from him.

If you have any suggestions, send them over.

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After hearing the car on the phone, I asked the guys what they could do. They pulled one half of the Corsas and installed Dynomax mufflers. It's still louder than I would really like, but it also sounds and runs realllly strong.

I'll probably pull the other Corsa mufflers in a couple of weeks. This will leave me with an $1,800.00 pair of Corsa chrome exhaust tips. I'm writing this in hopes that no one else makes this mistake.

DJ, Which half were removed (IE. proximal or distal to manifold), and what did you think of the sound? Did you hear the original setup in person, or just the Cayenne way? I too am unhappy with the Corsa track system, having removed it yesterday after too many criticisms added to my own displeasure after only five days of use. My system is stock (no headers) except for the evisceration of the secondary cats and the removal of the stock mufflers (my self-willed mother-in-law is an auto mechanic). To wit, comments which got my attention included "what happened to the Viper engine sound?" and, "Dude you need to do the exhuast, that sounds like a six-cylinder". In contrast to your situation, installation of the Corsa system made my set up MUCH too sedate, and the elimination of the factory crossover results in an unbearable and constant reminder that this v10 needs all the help it can get to produce an acceptable sound from a low restriction system.
I know that there are concerns about flow restriction inherent in the numerous bends in the stock crossover, and I would like to know what the dynamometer reveals. Until then, I will probably keep the Corsa mufflers in the corner of the garage, and keep the present gutted-cat/removal-of-stock-muffler set up. So far no codes and no check engine light, as I had been led to expect from reading other threads.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is some great feedback on the exhaust system. I will also experiment on different systems. As ViperGMC said there are times when ya just want it toned down a bit. I feel this way, but hate the stock sound. I think if we run a bit longer muffler on the car, or add a short resonator to the system, this may tone it down a bit, and still retain that explosive WOT sound. That is a priceless sound. As a new tuner, this will be a serious part of my R/D for the SRT

There are to many benifits when upgrading the exhaust on this car to not do it.

As Sleeper so well put it, the undesirable sound of the V-10 is increased when you do this, but it's accompanied with some really great tones never heard before on a car. It's like great music, ya got it cranked up, ya love it and after a while ya just want to turn it down a bit, but we can't

Skip White

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the sound of mine, though the mid speed range is a little loud. I eviscerated the cats (just had to use the word also) and replaced the stock muffler with 2 dynomax bullets on each side. Still using the crossover even though I know it is overly restrictive.

I received lots of compliments at the autocross yesterday.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went for a cruise, taking notice to the loud exhaust, sure is nice for about an hour, then it would be nice to turn it down a bit. Seems like it gets louder after a while, must be in my head. All in all I would tone it down just a bit, and leave it be. It goes with the car so much, runs better like this also.

Ron, you have the best sounding setup, as I had similiar on my 03, just can't stand having all that nasty pipe under the car. The X-over does allow the engines exhaust note to reverberate a bit more. No one will ever get tired of that sound.

Skip White

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip,
I benefitted from reading your earlier postings when you modified your exhuast, so I'd like to say thank you for your efforts (including the pictures). Hope to meet you at VOI 8.
Thomas DeCosta

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Sleeper,

Heard it only on the phone, and is sounded, as described by the tech, like a comp coupe. Sounded very healthy to me, just too loud.

I'll check on which ones are in which location and let you know.

Regards,

Dan

BillD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Dave at Roanoke Motors install the Corsa Track system on my '03 six weeks ago. He had to cut off the second (distal) cat to get it all in there. The rest is stock. The system does expand, but manages to stay 0.25 inch or so from the paint. With my 19 year old son, I drove the car 700 miles and back to see my dad. We all loved it, even Dad's lady friend. I did get some ear plugs for the passenger to use which were helpful when passing semis on I-44 with the top down. My sons and I love the sound. It is a wild sound one of my neighbors says is "loud like a Harley". None of the neighbors seems upset so far. The decelleration pop and backfire alone is worth 2000 bucks to me, but this car is NOT a daily driver. That said, I do have 6000 miles on it, with about 2500 on the new exhaust. I had a C5 vett and a '01 RT10, both of which I put Borlas on. In general, I did like the Borla sound, but both cars had a 2000 rpm drone which was a bit annoying. This car roars and pops but no drone. My wife, who wants to own a Prius someday, still jumps when I start it up in the garage. The upside is I feel kinda like Lt. Bullitt running with the guys in the black Charger when I am driving it hard. The downside is that 500 watt sound system with the 6 disc changer is pretty useless to me now. I did keep the old pipes, cats, crossovers and mufflers on the off chance I might sell it to a SoCal guy who needs the quiet, but I am real happy with my car now. I like it much better than the borlas. My wife still enjoys riding around with me, but not too fast. This is a car that will get you noticed.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have been happy with the Corsa Exhaust, if fitted properly it will not touch. For those interested, I have some straight through stainless mufflers (like a glass pack) that have a cable operated valve to quiet them down.
You will need to get a longer cable to make them work, but it seems like a answer. They are used quite a bit on street rods.